preparing your harvest

jwl

just thought it might be interesting to share some tips on what do do with your harvest before and after bringing it home to cook and store.I know this is a fishing forum but I thought that it might be interesting to share some info relating to hunting as well since the forum area was created.perhaps tips on field dressing your kill,skinning, butchering,as well as food handling, storage and preparation.

so I guess I will start out with a recipe and see how it goes from there

Venison Steak and Beef Kidney Pie

You will need: 2 lbs venison steak, cut into 1 inch cubes( remove all sinew and fat)

1 lbs beef kidney

1/2 cup flour

3 tsp oil

2 cups beef broth

1 large onion chopped

2 tsp worcestershire

1 package ready made puff pastry sheets

1/4 cup flour

1 tsp salt

1tsp pepper

1/2 cup cold beef broth

To Prepare; Remove mebrane and fat from kidney,place in a large sauce pan,cover with water, cover and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.Drain..cut into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.Toss venison cubes in the "1/2" cup flour, pour oil into large skillet heat, then add the venison searing on all sides, add the onions and worcestershire and "2 cups" of the beef broth, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.prepare the puff pastry by cutting it so it is around 1 inch bigger around then a casserole dish..or individual serving dishes.In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the flour, salt, pepper. slowly stir in the "cold" beef broth..Stir into hot mixture, stir in the cubed kidney.continue cooking until bubbly reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.Pour hot mixture into casserole or serving dishes, place pastry on top, turn edges under and cut a couple small slits in the top. bake in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown..let stand for 5-10 minutes and serve.

This dish can also be frozen, ready to thaw and bake at a later time.

Archived