14 ft vs 16 ft

paulyboy83

Here's the dilemna. My father in law is looking to buy a boat. He has picked 2 that he likes. The first is a late 80's 16 ft Lund Piker with a late 80's 25 hp 2 stroke (evinrude I believe). The other is a late 90's Lund 14 ft with a 2003 15 hp 4 stroke johnson only used 1 season. All that seperates the 2 is $1000.

He seems to be leaning toward the 16ft but I think the 14 is a better deal and more reliable unit. He's worried that the 15 hp won't be enough for fishing the Niagara river. Any suggestions or info you guys could offer as to whether or not the 15 would be sufficient would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all.

Paulyboy

I wouldn't fish the river in a boat with anything less than a 45. 16 feet is about the minimum for a boat length as 14's in rough weather can get quite interesting.

Buying a boat for the Niagara River is not the kind of boat I'd be looking to save $$$ as you stated.

I fish the lower Niagara River all winter in a 16ft Smokercraft 35hp and a 14ft Lund 15hp. Either of those boats are sufficient for fishing the river as long as you don't have any plans fishing from past Queenston up to the falls. I start the day fishing Queenston drifts then make my way on a few different drifts(Canadian waters) down to the bar. Down at the bar the extra 2 ft of boat is a little more comforting with the large rollers you will encounter and the extra 10 hp will make the trip a little faster in the cold weather. One thing about the four stroke is you can use it on the drift instead of electric motor as they are super quiet and have caught many trout 10lbs+ while drifting using four stroke not two stroke. My opinion get the bigger boat and add a good minn kota for slowing drifts but if he decides to get the four stroke it will be sufficient

I would go with the bigger boat really..it will probably serve you better all around..and the bigger motor will come in handy if you plan on putting on a few miles in the day too...and if you check the horsepower rating on the 16 footer..you may find you have room to upgrade as well..some boat packages that come standard with a 25 are a little under powered..I have a Legend 151 Viper with a 40 oil injected 2 stroke on it...suits my fishing needs well as well as for goofing around a bit with the family...those packages come standard with a 25..rated up to a 50..I chose the 40 as a happy medium..and it seems to have great performance for the boat..in the summer I was talking to someone I was in a bass tourney with in my boat..and he liked the way it rides..didn't compare to all the bass boats out that day but..he was saying that his familly bought a simular boat to mine..different model..but basically the same hull..and they got it with the 25..and he said it felt a bit sluggish..and after being in my boat with the 40..he said they should have upgraded as well..with a light load and 2 people in the boat I can get a bit over 40mph out of it..sure it's not the 80 mph some of the bass guys are getting..but then again..my families whole boat with upgrades..cost about the same as just the motor for some of them bass boats.

I've got a 14' Lund with a 40 hp merc on it it works great for the Niagara but if you plan on fishing lake erie huron or Ontario a lot in the spring summer or fall, I would go with the 16' my 14 is good on the big lakes only when the waves are less than 2 ft. I've had it out in worse but some people have told me I'm suicidal!!

jjcanoe

I hear ya on that one JJ...the Viper is great for the lake up at my trailer where we had for a couple years..and great for the river, had her out in some good 5-6 footers on Erie this year..rollers not big crashers...with the odd bigger one in the mix..that's about as messy of water as I would want to have that in..we faired well, got a little wet a couple times..but you have to take it easy..I am comfortable out on the water..but I am not dumb either..we are fishing our way a few miles back to the launch when it gets like that...made me think that a bigger boat would be nice..but heck even a 20 footer is not gonna do well on the lake some days..specially the windy end of summer we had this year..changed plans a couple times when we got to the launch and there was 4 footers there..personaly..I don't focus all my attention to only fishing the really big water...so it was more practical for me to get what I have.sure there are days I want to but can't get out in the big water with the Legend... But you really have to think about what the major part of your fishing/boating activity will be to try to fill your needs.

A lot of great advice based on personal experience.

Here is a different slant on your situation.

Don't feel obligated to buy either one, as great as the deal may be.

A "good enough for now" purchase with plans or hopes to upgrade the motor may reduce the enjoyment of your initial excursions.

Personally I would continue my search for a 16 footer with more HP, preferably a newer 2 stroke with oil injection.

Good luck on your quest, and GOOD FISHING!

Maximum power and size for your need is never enough- especially if you have friends and want to go to one spot after another in no time.

Go to Kajiji.ca someone is selling a good package for around $6000.

I have a 15.5 ft boat which fits perfectly inside a standard garage after the tongue extention is removed. But if I have more adequte parking space, I would go towards 16-17' foot boat. I also have a 85hp , therefore I skii with friends and kids when fishing is slow. Multi purpose would alwyas come in handy.

Even older Engines are very reliable, and make sure you have a decent mechanic to rely on when owning used engine.

Trolling motor is definetely a must to avoid scaring the fish on shallow water fishing.

I grew up with a 14ft/ 15horse on Lake Nipigon and Superior......thats big water. You just have to be smart, and dont take chances. I now have a new 4 stroke 40horse, and man oh man, it runs so much smoother than my old 2 stroke.

go 14 with the 4 stroke.......

Archived