Peace bridge fishing

Guest Jeetmuck

Guest Jeetmuck

Hey everyone,

I was heading cross the Peace Bridge on Sunday to watch my team get beat out again over at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Whilst passing the time trying to get across the bridge, which happened to be a little over an hour, I spotted quite a few people down on the Canadian side drift fishing.

What caught my eye was one fella out about 40-50 from the wall in the river on the South side of the bridge. I didn't know that you could walk out there to catch the drift. I always thought it was too deep.

Has anyone here tried that and had any luck off the wall like that? Would be interested cause I like to wade in as well and would consider it? What would you target in that area?

Thanks,

JM

Jeetmuck: this area has been knowen to hold big fish at deferant times of the year,this time you would be targetting rainbows. You would do the same as fishing queenstone or port, the only thing is if you haven't fish this area you have to be very careful 1 foot to close and away you go, and you will NOT touch shore for a long way down river. If you get a chance check out the currant on the other side of the bridge IT'S FAST so if you wish to fish this go with someone wear a float suit + a life jacket and only take what you are using on your rod and leave the rest on shore the less weight you have on the better for getting out if you go down.Better yet go down and watch first then decide if you will take the chance to fish that point. BE SAFE FIRST Rob Mcintosh :D

Guest floatman55

Suggest you give Denis a call @ fishinniagara.com or the store at 1-866-871-3888. He can tell you all you need to know as well as supply the larger floats, shot etc that's required. His store is right across the road from where you saw the guys fishing

Bill

Guest Jeetmuck

Thanks for the tips Rob and floatman55,

It looks like a great way to really get out in the current but a real easy way to get yourself into the current. I know the water is really moving, but I would hate to fall in a go for a little ride, what with no barrel and all. LOL.

May have to drop down one day and watch some of the others before I decide to jump in cause I slipped once down at Queenston and thankfullly didn't end up deep off the edge there. Bruised pride was all I got and lots of laughs from the guys I was with.

If the water ever clears up, I will get down for a little more trout fishing.

Right now, just waiting to get out and do some hardwater fishing.

Cheers,

JM

I have fished it a few times! don't go to deep is right! There is a guy that fishes down there and pulls in fish one after another! Nice to watch him but he won't give any tips! You don't have to wade very far out to get fish!

Guest Markus

I'd like to explore the Niagara a little more myself. I'd love to find a few spots that are wadding friendly, so I can leave the boat home a few trips.

Plain And Simple

If you don't know the river You don't jump in!

With that said it can be fished but the winter is not the time to try and learn a river this big. It's fast deep cold and dangerous I would only advise fishing it with extreme caution the water temp on Sunday was only 38. Thats cold if you fall in you ain't gonna last long. The best advice I can give to someone who wants to fish that area is to go in the summer and wade around in a pair of shorts and see where you feel safe. There is some spots with hardly any current and there is some spots that really move you hit the wrong spot and we might see you fishing the lower not by choice. Right now you can catch fish from shore just drive along the river on a nice day and you will see what I mean. If you really wanna go out USE EXTREME CAUTION and go with someone always wear proper floatation devices and becareful this would be considered exteme fishing if there is such a thing. Also shore ice is a factor so cleats are very highly advised good luck if you make it out and also if you make it back :lol: Not trying to scare anyone just a friendly warning to keep it safe if we have people falling it could ruin the fishing for everyone else so just use some common sense and pick up your garbage when you leave it's clean up here lets keep it that way :Gonefishing:

Guest Jeetmuck

Thanks all,

I wasn't considering going in over the winter months, it may be something I look at during fair weather. As for jumping in, that was a joke about me slipping on the rocks at Queenston and bruising the old ego.

I grew up in this area (Thorold and St. Catharines) but still not too familiar with this part of the river. Would need a lot of coaxing to wade out in the water with it moving that fast.

Thanks for the advice which will be heeded.

Hope to see some of you out there,

JM

Guest chilli

You'll see me behind the old fort in the summer months after 11 pm. I never attemted by the bridge yet. Just below the bridge is the baby hole which has claimed lives. It's an innocent looking pool but has hidden dangers. Down from that is where a diving budy of mine says is a once in a lifetime thrill ride. Apparently as you pass Nichols, the undertow pulls you straight down very fast and you don't come up very quickly. I've stood directly behind Nichols and stared in amazment at the speed of the water. It's no place for crankbaits as they're long past you by the time you click the bail. Also I've seen sheets of ice fly through there and with the weight of the water pushing on your waders, it wouldn't take a big piece of ice to push you over.

Archived