Out of curiousity

kevin

I put this under the Conservation forum, because I don't think it belongs on the fishing forum. Anyway, was just wondering what most opinions are on the topic of posting pictures with obvious backgrounds?

I realize there are probably exceptions to this, such as areas that are already heavily fished and advertised, like lake simcoe, port D, or the lower niagara. Even still do you think exact locations and techniques should be posted randomly, on a public forum?

Now, I realize fishing forums are here to help people with fishing related questions, reports etc......But if you look at the number of views recieved per post, are there any other guys out there that think pictures showing exact locations are a questionable thing to be posting on public forums??

Helping people with techniques is great, I've recieved help, and given it in return, just curious to hear your views on the picture posting thing.

This post was no sparked by any particular picture posting, just a general question.

Guest canadadude

I really don't care one way or another it's totally up to the individual,I like seeing a dudes fishing pics and I completly understand if he blocks out the background!! It really dosn't bother me one way or another :lol:

I know that Extreme Angler TV had the same issue. Karl had caught a 9+ pound largemouth on film and there was a short clip his website advertising that this would be in a show but I guess the location was easily noticable, he chose not to air the footage for fear of overwhelming this smaller lake with guys that would be after this same fish in the same bay. You do have to be consious of what's in your photos. I either take pictures with my back to the middle of the lake, at the dock, or really close to the shoreline so not much is noticable.

good question, been brought up many times,personaly I don't even post about all the fishing I do, when I manage to get out alot, lately haven't gotten out at all, so no applicable :lol:

One reason private boards are getting more popular, on the public board..this one for example, there has been instances where guys have been threatened for posting about hot fishing holes, not even pinpointing a particualr spot, even just saying the lower river is producing well, others have been bad mouthed for keeping some fish for the table, I myself have been asked in the past not to even report about a good time of year for fishing through PM and that's without even giving away hardly any of the details of the day what so ever. Other guys I know, don't even bother posting on this board any more because of BS for posting about any good fishing, and have even had people from other boards ask them not to post too much info on this one, or stop posting at all about certain spots.

get's a little bit frustrating at times, sometimes when I have been with a couple guys from here fishing and we have a good day, we either decide not to post about it at all, or someone edits the back ground, or try to take the shot from an angle that doesn't give away the spot.

Then that just boils down to sometimes guys just posting a pic of what they caught, with as little info as possible, then a bunch of other guys get down thier necks about being stuck up, and not sharing any info..and comments like "hey I thought this was a fishing forum not a bragging board"

It's dammed if ya do dammed if ya don't kind of thing, I have no prob sharing info about techniques ect for different species different times of year, have put a few people that I have chosen to do so, on to fish and a few fishing holes, and have gotten the same in return here and there, but that comes with time, and some respect from your fellow board members and anglers. Any guys coming on here lately with the old "Hi I'm new to the board, tell me where to go catch fish" kind of deal aren't so easily getting a bunch of "free" info any more, people just get sick of it, and all the back lash after from thier peers. But if you notice, there are guys who are ancouraging people to come out and learn, stop by say hi, fish for a bit, and get out there and see hands on.

All these reasons are why at times any new comers to the board must think that no one goes fishing, or only a couple guys do, and at a couple spots. besides that it's only common sense not to post about any small fragile hot spot water ways. Gotta admit that seeing some cool fish pics is always good, specially when ya can't get out there and do it yourself.

Good topic, and yep can be conservation related for sure..there are issues with poaching, littering,habitat destruction, overharvesting, that can all arise from posting a report about a good day on and around the water.

Tom,

I also think it's a better idea to take a shot at an angle showing the water, or some type of background that isnt' exactly recognizable. Yes, take those shots with the nice backgrounds you like, but don't post them publicly. Those pictures are for your personal collection or through email with close fishing partners.

Thanks for your input, it's nice to see that alot of people are on the same page about this.

Kevin, your question has no answer as JWL pointed out. It's dammed if you do or don't but in the end it depends on the individual. If the poster has something to gain from an obvious background he'll put the hole damm thing in there.

Personally if it's a fragile system such as a small stream I think you'd be wreckless to do it. If it was a large body of water like the Niagara River or Lake O, I see no harm. The fish that was posted yesterday and all his buddies have probably swam around the island. The trout in the 20 under Baily's Bridge will still be there until they spawn but will probably be trampled due to the picture because there are hundreds of read only members here.

I guess it depends on circumstance also. If the fish is out of season or out of bounds (hydro facility etc.) it may draw people in where they shouldn't be. Sometimes though getting people to a location to fish is a good thing like the case of Sherkston. If we can attract young families into the world of fishing this way I'm willing to tell them the exact rock to sit on. And finally there's the pride factor. Your not going to like this but if you can post your pic of you with your fish outside the SCGF clubhouse where we stocked them, or a lunker chrome under the Peace Bridge to show the pride of Home town fishing, then I'm good with that too. In Season of coarse. Those OOS musky pictures piss me off everytime and a soap starts appropriatley. (don't forget the October meeting about that one).

The best picture with background I've seen to date was posted by Spanky in Queentston with the gorge and bridge in the background and the water covered in ice cubes.

So I guess the question needs to be refrased because there are in my mind, many factors.

Good topic none the less ;)

Dan

I'll admit I very rarely read any other threads on this board besides the fishing reports, but I had this link appear in a PM so I checked it out. Posting pics is a very touchy subject, for example posting 2 year old pictures of perch and then saying there is safe ice is just plain stupid. Posting pictures with backgrounds is a personal preference and sometimes it is just out right bragging. Now a good picture capturing the moment is good no matter what or where, it's whether or not you choose to show it. Unfortunately this thing called the internet came along and people use it, don't worry most of the ones seeing the pictures will NEVER even wet a line within a hundred miles of you but they will appreciate a good picture. It brings back memories it may spark a spontanious trip to try a new area or it just might brighten up a dull day, anyway you look at it's not going away. If it hurts that much I really hope you don't have any subscritions to any publications that show fish. Hey next time you go ;) have fun and think of all the people that would give anything to be out for a day on the water :D time that some of us take for granted :dunno:

Good point about the OOS fish Chilli, for example the couple huge ski's caught this past spring, causes alot of concerns with alot of people for sure,a couple real monsters, and the guys who caught them might have bragging rights for sure, but maybe should keep it amoungst them selves and any witnesses and as suggested post the pic well after season is open, talk a little bit about the day, and with out giving out too much info, explain perhaps that it was an incidental catch OOS. Otherwise you will get yahoo's going down to a few of the spots, trying to sight the fish and chucking huge lures at them, disrupting spawning activities. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a guy fishing with a 12inch body bait with 3-4 huge trebles on it, really isn't trout fishing.

Same for OOS bass in the spring, if you fish around Niagara anywhere, you are bound to catch a couple, put that info in the wrong hands is going to turn into a bucket full of prespawn fish for dinner for some idiot, or pull too many bass of a nest and there goes all those eggs or young. best to encourage people not to post pics in those situations, and point out that if you do happen to catch a couple OOS bass or something at a spot,and you keep cathcing them, perhaps you should move on to another spot and try to catch something that is in season. There are plenty of good year round fishing ops in Niagara for sure to worry about that...steelies are open all year in spots, so are pike,perch and panfish, coarse fish as well, there is always something open some where.

Like Chilli pointed out, promoting some spots can also be good, for example Sherkston, those fish are put in there for the purpose of fishing, they are stocked there to promote the use of the facilities and getting the family/kids out for some fun, it's a pay per use fishery, and if you wish, you can keep 2. I have no problem at all as alot of guys on here know, directing anyone who is out to take thier kids for a fun day fishing to any spots where they might get into a few. And I also know from a few "thank yous" along the way, it was a much appreciated learning experience for the kids and a fun family activity all in all for the day. We are all counting on anyone we lend our advice to , that they will be ethical people who value our resources. if not, it's the internet, doesn't take long for word to get out otherwise, and lucky if that person will ever get as much as directions to a box of fish sticks at the grocery store after that.

Guest canadadude

I totally agree with OOS fishing pics,I hate seeing them it makes me angry ;) IMO nobody should post out of season pics of any fish and if they are posted should immediatly be nuked!!! This is the conservation topic and there is nothing more damaging to populations then targeting them OOS! What I should say is nothing more damaging that can be easily controlled by the angler!! NUKE ALL OOS PICS!!!! :dunno:

also just wanted to add regarding the topic of OOS fish/pics, regarding muskies, some studies have shown that in alot of cases, muskies will pair up with the same mate every year for life. And because of the fact that it takes them many years to grow into the best spawn class of fish, some people argue that a keeper size fish should be raised into the 50 inch brackets, and already is in some zones, even into the 60's some think as well, that's why you notice over the years that it was raised for example around here I believe from 36 to 40 to 44, which some still argue is too small for the minimum. Nothin wrong with trying to get a great pic of your catch of the day, but specially true with very large fish, if not handled properly you are doing the fish alot of damage just by lifting it out of the water the wrong way.

I totally agree with OOS fishing pics,I hate seeing them it makes me angry

I agree with this unless you happen to catch a personal best and you want to get a quick picture and fast release. This has been discussed here before and the MNR has even stated that there is nothing wrong with taking a pic of an OOS fish as long as the fish is released quickly and unharmed.

I agree with everyone here, not one person has said anything against it, im very surprised to say the least, i have a spot for pike in spring where u get the OOS bass itz like clockwork preety much. so once I catch one pike or 2 bass i release all fish then leave and go to my other spot on the rec preety much a guarantee there for pike though so thats why i go there. As far as OOS pics nothing wrong with taking a pic of a PB.

Guest canadadude

It's just my opinion like it says in the thread,we all have different thoughts and I respect them all but thats how I feel about OOS fish!! :) Interesting about the Muskies I think that is the biggest worry about VHS virus it seems to be hard on Musky and I think that is a major worry for the MNR!!!

I guess you could say , the law of gravity applies here......the heavier the fish the more harm may result from holding it out of water . If we are to take a quick picture of a release fish, it would be great to have a few pictures posted of the best way to hold large fish with both hands in the mnr regs. book .

BTW........I heard no new reg .book this yr ???

I agree with this unless you happen to catch a personal best and you want to get a quick picture and fast release. This has been discussed here before and the MNR has even stated that there is nothing wrong with taking a pic of an OOS fish as long as the fish is released quickly and unharmed.

I still don't like it. Save it for open season. IMO

I'm pretty sure Kevins question dealt more with backgrounds though. It's basically asking if you think, does showing where you caught the fish add extra pressure to that spot?

Guest canadadude

BTW........I heard no new reg .book this yr ???

What is the MNR doing it looks like absolutly nothing :) It must be just a free for all in the ministry right now,sounds like sombody is just grabing what funding there is and having a good ole time,I mean nothing at all is getting accomplished! How long can it take to get out a reg book, this is something the province desperatly needs :P I can't remember a time when the MNR has be so irresponsible,I mean its been bad before but never like this,its getting scarry :rolleyes::blahblah1:

another good reason for all the debate...looking at the stats on here right now,27 people online, only 7 are members, and sometimes that number is into the 30's.

as for some of the comments about the MNR,it's thier funding that is being misdirected for big part,not by the MNR itself, by the government, it's going to other places, a big one of which is healthcare, or so the government says anyways.

Guest canadadude

Not the health care card again, give me a break, how many times can they play that one! :unsure:They cut the crap out of that too, come on fiberals come up with a new excuse!!

Archived