OOS Musky being kept!

There are Out Of Season musky being kept in the Upper Niagara River by ignorant anglers. They just really don't know the difference between musky and pike. I have begun a collection on Denis' board to replace the "Know the Difference" sign across from his store.

I was told by Muskies Canada that the orriginal sign didn't have a U.V. protective coating and now they are completely bleached. The cost of a new sign is between $50 and $70 dollars. I was told $70 was unlikely but prices change.

Please if your in the Fort Erie area, drop into Denis' store and offer to donate. Right now with 3 guys we're looking at $23.33 for the first sign. If you want to help, please check out this thread http://www.fishinniagara.com/phpBB2/viewto...php?p=4361#4361 and PM me here if you don't have an account on the fishin niagara board. Give Denis your donation in an envelope with your name and phone number on it. If the cost is less we'll designate funds to the next sign or donate the extra to Muskies Canada.

These signs are at boat launches down the river which just happen to be in strategic shore angling locations. There have been a few arguments already this year but the signs weren't available for proof. The musky numbers in the Upper Niagara are a concern right now and the muskies seen kept so far this year have all been under the minimum size. Yes MNR should be called immediately but that is little help for a musky in a trunk already.

Thanks

Dan

know_the_difference.jpg

Hopefully Muskies Inc won't mind me borrowing this image without permission.

I'm surprized that those signs don't have the little diagram on there showing you the differences in the scale patterns on thier cheeks.

And also on the same diagram, the diffence in the number of pores underneath the lower jaw...where as pike have 10 pores, and muskies have 12-18.

That's on alot of musky identification signs I have seen in different places...there is even a big one at the beach where my camp is, and also by the bridge in town there is a really big one put up by the Kiwanis Club, because that's near a place they designated to structre enhancement to make it a more suitable walleye spawning area.

Just though that was odd that's not on the sign :P

These guys are either stupid ......or playing stupid ......or don't really care ! :P If they can't id fish that are in the reg book , then fine them heavily & take their licence until they can prove they know what kind of fish they are catching .

BTW.....CO's a t Port again .....and the police boat was in there also . I was told they fined 3 guys who were fishing the falls area . Take note guys......and they are telling fishers to keep away from fishing under the walking bridge too .

I hope it will do some good to replace the signs Chilli,They have them up and down the Rideau river at the lauches there. They are very informative.

The guy that kept the barred muskie the day we were there (after you left with your monster pike)knew what he was doing. He whacked it in the head and proceeded to take it to his truck,hiding it by his leg. He is a regular there and I,m sure he is known to visit Denis's shop . I won't forget him or his truck so I will be on the lookout next time. :dunno:

Guest Rockfish

The different pics of the Musky may be confusing to some of that people that say they don't know the difference. The ones I've seen caught in the area are the Barred type but not so green as in the pic but more of a grayish. Just wondered how common the Clear, Spotted and Tiger Hybrid are ?

The pics in the regs show the Barred Musky, dark vertical bans on a light background and shows the definate difference to Pike just above it, which have the green background with light spots.

Wonder what the fine is now for a OOS fish taken home, that may scare a few people, heard that a guy that took a Laker home OOS was fined $1000. :D

that's one of the reasons I made the comment in another related post about the number of pores under the lower jaw...there isn't any mistaking that..and I have caught a few miskies from all over, there really is no excuse for not knowing the difference,,,no matter what the colour pattern happens to be,,,a musky is a musky no doubt about it..the fins area little different, the tail is pointier :D

and you jsut have to look at the teeth .... from what I have seen, a muskie's mouth is one of the scarriest things you could have coming at you. mind you i have never caught both species on the same day in the same location to provide a fair comparison to that theory of mine

One sure fire way to teach the lesson. Have polaroid will tattle! :D

Mnr can't watch every launch or site, thats why we have the hotline.

You know the rules or you don't.

You obey the regs or you don't.

There are no excuses , but the consequences have to be in place.

Well I met up with a Muskies Canada member today at the St Catharines Game and Fish and presented him with a cheque for $157 for the signs. Dax Jacklin will probably pick up a sign over the next couple of days and replace the one at Nicholls marine.

Thank you to all who donated. I don't like to thank myself but here's the list of guys who put in for this important conservation project. Thank you for your generousity and I hope you inspire others to follow suit when they see something like this needs doing.

Charlie “D” – Fishin Niagara Forum

Chris Gill – Fishin Niagara Forum

Denis Kreze – Fishin Niagara Tackle

Darryl Cronzy – Going Fishing Show

Dan Andrews – Fort Erie Conservation Club Trustee.

chilli :lol:

Archived