Big Box Store, Story-Negatory!

Seanook

I had to learn this the hard way. Big Box fishing stores suck (most of them anyway. I can't speak for Sail because I have never purchased anything there).

Two Christmas's ago I went to Bass Pro Shops. I was a little excited. Had my Christmas bonus in pocket and was ready to spend some big bucks. My Pops needed a new rod and some tackle. The stuff he has stored on the boat was ancient and needed a serious upgrade. I also was gonna pick up a little gift from Me-Me.

I wandered around the store for a while before beginning a pretty serious search in the rod and reel section. There really is so much stuff there, my eyes went a little googley. I stopped an employee to ask some questions about different rods and didn't really get much info other than what was a hot seller. I thought "that's odd. doesn't even sound like he fishes"?. Most specialty stores have employees that will at least tell you what works for them or what they have bought themselves. I suppose it was just a job to him and to be fair it ain't his fault he was hired. I would, although expect Bass Pro to hire personnel who are at least interested or at the very least enthusiastic about the goods they were selling. Anyway I resumed my search without any real direction.

I grabbed two one piece rods. A Rapala T2 for myself and a Browning for my Dad. I've had a few Brownings in my day and was generally pleased with them. The Rapala on the other hand was a first for me. It wasn't exactly cheap but it was reasonable if it worked out well. Something like $115-120. I again flagged an employee down and asked him what he knew about the new Rapala series rods........Nothing!. The Dude knew squat about it. "What the hell. I guess I'm just gonna have to find out for myself". I thought.

Fast forward to Spring of that year......It was my first time out for the Year. My Son, a Buddy of mine and I headed to Shannonville to visit some friends and fish the Moira River. I had an old Abu Garcia Workhorse two piece rod that I loved and the new Rapala T2 with me. My son had seemingly gotten the hang of casting and reeling safley and effectively, so I decided to give him the Workhorse. After all I had a shiny new one piece T2. We began fishing the banks and it wasn't long until I got snagged on the rocks below one of the rapids. I walked back up the river bank in the direction I drifted my lure from and gave a light tug on the rod. Snap!.....WTF?. about two inches from the tip of the rod it had snapped off. Clean!. like it had been cut. I dropped the rod and cursed out loud. Picking up my line and wrapping it around my hand, I gave it a tug and it immediately came un-snagged. "F#*ck me sideways".

Upon arriving home I looked for the reciept. I probably hid it or threw it out (The Wifey always freaks when she sees how much I spend on gear) for self preservation purposes. I could not locate it. So I jumped in my car and headed down to Bass Pro with the broken rod. When I showed it to the Guy at the counter there and told him the story he shrugged his shoulders and told me there was nothing he could do for me. "Call the folks at Rapala, see what they can do". He said. "Does Rapala warranty replace broken rods?" I asked. "I dunno" was his reply. Of course. "Why on earth would I expect you to know anything". Rapala indeed had no warranty return policy on goods returned without reciept. So I was screwed.

Two weeks ago, I again was in the market for a new rod. I had been doing a lot of drop shotting for Bass on Erie lately, so I had specific needs. I also really wanted a fairly new series of soft baits that not many of the Big Box stores carry. Fishing World in Hamilton had some in stock. Upon entering, Immediately I was greeted by a salesperson. He asked me what I was looking for, price range and what kind of fish I was targeting. Now Fishing World isn't just a tiny Mom & Pop store. In fact it's quite large but it's Canadian owned and operated and all the staff are active anglers and hunters. I ended up getting a Shimano Convergance one piece rod and about 70-80 bucks in tackle along with a new carry box.

Yesterday was the first time I used the rod. What happened?.........I broke the damn tip off it while harmlessly trying to hook my spoon on one of the upper eyelets. Lucky for me it was just about the end of the day and I was pretty much ready to pack it in anyway. As soon as I got back to my car I headed to Fishing World. Again I had no receipt. The staff took one look at my rod and invited me into the office. I explained that I had no receipt. "No problem" the Lady helping me said. "Do you remember what you bought with it?". "Yes I do". I even remembered the salesman as I had talked to him quite a bit about the rod specifically. That salesman was there, in store and confirmed my story. They found my reciept in minutes and took the rod for a full warranty replacement!. I'm extatic. I will never buy anything from Bass Pro. I am only going to buy my gear from Canadian owned and locally operated stores. On top pf the merits of supporting your local stores, You get first hand knowledge and expertise.

Below I'm including a pic of my son fishing on the Moira that day, as I had nothing better to do than take pics.

MOIRA.jpg

Local stores are they way to go for customer service, as I work in a family owned store for my uncle n cuz. Our competition is CT, sears the big box stores. we get people everyday who are in the same scenario as you, buy a product from ct, come in pissed, leave happy and are customers for life.

this is why i Love going to Pete's to get most of my stuff..

Bass Pro i find is difficult if you don't know your stuff.. and there is so much stuff to choose from its overwhelming..

Local stores are they way to go for customer service, as I work in a family owned store for my uncle n cuz. Our competition is CT, sears the big box stores. we get people everyday who are in the same scenario as you, buy a product from ct, come in pissed, leave happy and are customers for life.

It really is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. Local family operations are 99.9% more likely to treat you properly and know their stuff. Generaly they are passionate about what their business involves and appreciate the customer as much as the customer appreciates the conciencious service. Also...Ya gotta support the little guy.

Guest live2fish85

Yea Fishing World, Bills bait and tackle and Grimsby are bye far the best tackle shops around.

I can't stand bass pro, they have a ton of stuff and no one that knows anything.

Plus if you look at the prices from the local shops to the big box stores I will say more then half of the stuff at local shops are cheaper.

you're about the twelfth person I've heard had the tip snap off of a convergence rod. I see Crappy Tire is now starting to carry A LOT of higher end fishing gear, like stradics, Smoke rods and reels etc, But I've been busy comparing, and Fishing World can relax, they're about 20 bucks cheaper on every item than CT....

you're about the twelfth person I've heard had the tip snap off of a convergence rod. I see Crappy Tire is now starting to carry A LOT of higher end fishing gear, like stradics, Smoke rods and reels etc, But I've been busy comparing, and Fishing World can relax, they're about 20 bucks cheaper on every item than CT....

Really eh?. eeeeee :s

Maybe Shimano will discontinue it and give me a different model. It was really odd when it happened. I had a nice Bass on only half an hour earlier and there was no indication that it was gonna break. Then as I was just hooking my lure onto an eyelet without much pressure, it snapped. Anyway, I have nothing but good things to say about Fishing World, it's prices and employees. Rod defects happen and they were more than happy to help.

Guest live2fish85

You should look at exchanging it when you get the new one and check the compre out. It is 20 bucks more and alot better. It is a IM9 and better then convergance by a fair amount. I owned a convergance gave it to my old man, own a compre which is nice but my Crucial is a favourite.

For the 20 bucks you would notice a big difference in weight and sensitivity.

Just my thoughts.

Really eh?. eeeeee :s

Maybe Shimano will discontinue it and give me a different model. It was really odd when it happened. I had a nice Bass on only half an hour earlier and there was no indication that it was gonna break. Then as I was just hooking my lure onto an eyelet without much pressure, it snapped. Anyway, I have nothing but good things to say about Fishing World, it's prices and employees. Rod defects happen and they were more than happy to help.

My buddy and I always loosen our drags right off after fishing. We went out the day after he got his convergence, , and he pulled some line out to tie up, and ... SNAP. I could not believe it !!!

[FISHING WORLD IS AWESOME]

Gee, that's funny because I snapped a Convergence casting rod on a hookset between the second last and last guides and it was fresh out of the plaastic and Fishing World said they couldn't do anything for me. I bought a replacement rod at Gander Mountain and got a 2 year exchange warranty for next to nothing and I don't have to worry aout a thing. Over the counter exchange for any problem.

So your big box vs mom and pop theory is kind of shot...I will buy terminal tackle and lures at Fishing World but no more rods. (I buy around 5-6 a year)

Big box stores can't staff a store with 300 professional anglers or professional sales people. There are a lot of kids working at the big boxes for minimum wage with a specific job...like clean up the garbage on the floor or stock that shelf, thats about it. Big box stores have gotten away from professional sales people because the consumer for the most part "thinks" they no more than the sales people and don't want help, the old "Just looking" line. So why would a big box store pay a sales person a decent wage to NOT answer questions about a product you're just looking at. So, they hire students that have no clue or probably don't really care. Consumers are their own worst enemy.

For the record, I have had great dealings with big box stores and mom and pops, they both have there place and clientel. I can bet you dollars to pesos, you were the 100th customer that day to bring in a rod they broke trying to free a snag and not one person had their receipt. Mom and pops may do 100 transactions in a day but a big box does that in less than an hour. So to find a receipt is pretty easy, accept in my case...maybe the kid that I dealt with didn't have a clue either. ;)

sorry to hear that Big Dog. I don't feel like my theory was shot but you might be right about getting a kid at the counter of fishing world. Maybe I got lucky and caught them in agood moo All I know is that I was given much better service both times I went there and both times I went to "Ass Pro" I got terrible service and indifference. If I had gone there for some tube jiggs and line and wanted no help I may not have cared. I prefer to spend my money where I get the best service and my money stays in the community. but that's just me.

Gee, that's funny because I snapped a Convergence casting rod on a hookset between the second last and last guides and it was fresh out of the plaastic and Fishing World said they couldn't do anything for me. I bought a replacement rod at Gander Mountain and got a 2 year exchange warranty for next to nothing and I don't have to worry aout a thing. Over the counter exchange for any problem.

So your big box vs mom and pop theory is kind of shot...I will buy terminal tackle and lures at Fishing World but no more rods. (I buy around 5-6 a year)

Big box stores can't staff a store with 300 professional anglers or professional sales people. There are a lot of kids working at the big boxes for minimum wage with a specific job...like clean up the garbage on the floor or stock that shelf, thats about it. Big box stores have gotten away from professional sales people because the consumer for the most part "thinks" they no more than the sales people and don't want help, the old "Just looking" line. So why would a big box store pay a sales person a decent wage to NOT answer questions about a product you're just looking at. So, they hire students that have no clue or probably don't really care. Consumers are their own worst enemy.

For the record, I have had great dealings with big box stores and mom and pops, they both have there place and clientel. I can bet you dollars to pesos, you were the 100th customer that day to bring in a rod they broke trying to free a snag and not one person had their receipt. Mom and pops may do 100 transactions in a day but a big box does that in less than an hour. So to find a receipt is pretty easy, accept in my case...maybe the kid that I dealt with didn't have a clue either. ;)

Great story and lesson.

BTW...I hide stuff from the wife too!!

I agree.....to both..LOL. I used to do that too. Hide stuff from the wife., but there is so much stuff now its hard to keep it hidden. lol

I usually do go to the small mom and pop stores for most items like rods, reels, specialty bait, and line. Canadian tire or walmart for generic lures and small items like hooks and sinkers when I realize I am all out right before leaving the house. I did have the chance to go to SAIL on their opening weekend and had a great experience with their staff. Spoke with an older gentleman for about 40 minutes about fly tieing, what to look for in materials, and he gave me a bunch of tips and tricks to it. Also got talking with a vouple other guys and ended up getting an reel for my fiance.

ps: when you get your wife an upgrade for her tackle she isnt as upset when you spend 2-4 times as much on your own.

I've had 3 Shimano Convergence rods, a 6'6 MH 6'0 UL and a 12'6" ML. The ultra light snapped near the tip but that was my stupid fault (shouldn't hook through your guides that's what that little metal loop is for near the handle) other than that not a problem. Compres on the other hand I've had the front guide crumble on two of them, the second time instead of it going for warranty it was replaced with a big bulky crooked eye(which throws the whole rod off) So I stick to the convergence. Unfortunately the shop I used to go to closed a few years ago and because of that, has saved me a great deal of money because I don't hang out and shoot the breeze while picking up everything in the store.

Archived