gate 12...?

pike007

Guest Rockfish

Had a bit of luck at Lake Gibson today, a couple of skinny pike, one about 23-24" and another small one about 14" , just waiting for the one pic from the bruin's fan, Thanks for another day out buddy......

:)

Lets face it, there isn't as many pike as there used to be. More fishermen, more pressue, less fish. :)

I know my spots haven't done a thing yet. Ah, well, season open on the big lake next Saturday along with walleye. B)

Most fishermen catch and release at gm...especially the pike..its just not warm enough yet.

Guest Rockfish

I've read that Pike will pick up dead fish from the bottom like winterkill or the thermal shock thing and although they feed under the ice, in Spring they really are too lazy sometimes to want to chase down a lure. Lively minnows in Spring probably work better like the one Smerch got at the rec. canal.

:Gonefishing:

That's my opinion too Rockfish, pike do eat lots of so called "winter kill" baitfish, as soon as the ice starts to melt on most bodies of water, they go after dead fish that are falling to the bottom after being frozen in the ice, and I also agree that they don't like to travel too far for a meal in the cold water, and sometimes would like to go after 1 big meal instead of chasing down 10 little ones. Lots of guys will use big dead baitfish in early spring during the thaw, suspended under a float because this simulates the natural conditions of the dead baitfish floating around. myself i think the pike fishing is starting off a little slow this year, especially in the big water,I don't think too much of the big water averages that close to 50 degrees yet, this should liven em up a lil, I have gotten a couple over the last week or so but in shallow warmer inland water, biggest one so far is just over 30" got that one fishing really slow with a spinner bait fishing just fast enough for the blades to be spinning, otherwise I stick to pretty slow presentations or live bait this time of year, it's not the time of year for burning one through the weed beds yet..lol

JWL

Archived