Golden Trout

perkins

someone off another board caught one at Queenston last year with pics, it was gorgeous, I couldn't find the post .. There are still the odd skamania caught now and again, mostly in the glen .. I'd like to see one of those too ...

I just googled golden trout, and apparently it's a color mutation of rainbow trout ..

Old guy and his son and myself would usually catch one or 2 a year in the upper back in the 80's, as well as the odd Palamino Trout

jjcanoe

I thought Golden was a Palamino.

Either way....

Golden or Cutthroats here? WOW!

Alex

Here is a pic of a polimino someone

caught at port,i found the thread from nov 25 2007 not

sure who it is?

Also I landed a small hen at port on tuesday that I'm

pretty sure was a cut bow :lol:

I didn't take a pic as she was out of the water

long enough as it was as she almost inhaled my roe bag.

It had pink pectoral fins and the slightest hint of pink under the jaw.

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...hl=golden+trout

The fish that people commonly call "Goldens" around here, are Golden Rainbow Trout. They're just a colour variation of a Rainbow Trout, and not a golden trout. Most call them Palamino's. There's tons of info on them if you google it.

They're still around, one's hanging on my cousins' wall.....

Here's a pic of a cutty, or cuttbow, whichever way you want to word it. Just a cross between a cutthroat and rainbow. I'll see if I can dig up a picture showing the bright slash marks along the gill rakers.

cutty.jpg

There's actually quite a few around, but unless you're really looking, you won't notice the slash marks. From the information I've been given, from the MNR, is that quite a few cutty eggs were mixed in with one of the original transplants of Mcleod river strain rainbows back in the 1800's.

• 11 years later...
On 12/13/2009 at 12:47 PM, kevin said:

Here's a pic of a cutty, or cuttbow, whichever way you want to word it. Just a cross between a cutthroat and rainbow. I'll see if I can dig up a picture showing the bright slash marks along the gill rakers.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o220/redneck_80/cutty.jpg

There's actually quite a few around, but unless you're really looking, you won't notice the slash marks. From the information I've been given, from the MNR, is that quite a few cutty eggs were mixed in with one of the original transplants of Mcleod river strain rainbows back in the 1800's.

Look man from 11 years ago, I don't want to pee on your parade, but that isn't even close to being true. Cutthroat trout have never been stocked in any of the Great Lakes. Write to MNR if you don't believe me, they will tell you the same thing. No one - not MNR, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Wisconsin - no one has ever stocked cutthroat trout in the Great Lakes.

The fish in your pic is just a heavily spotted rainbow trout. Again, ask MNR. Any biologist will tell you that. Spotting, color and overall appearance on rainbows is highly variable. Some fish have lots of big spots, some have fewer fine spots, some have hardly any spots at all. Still all rainbows. You can't identify them by just color pattern or spotting alone.

For what it's worth, the so-called golden trout or palamino trout that Pennsylvania used to stock in the 1990s were also just a color phase of rainbow trout. They were not a different species at all.

Email your photo to MNR and ask them. They will also confirm that cutthroat trout have never been stocked in any of the Great Lakes, by anyone. They don't get "accidentally mixed in with some rainbows" that is not how fish hatcheries work.

Not trying to be a dick, but that is just complete nonsense.

41 minutes ago, Symmetre said:

Not trying to be a dick, but that is just complete nonsense

Ha ... verrrry interesting post Symmetre , I didn't know that !  I remember going near the Adam Beck Gen  plant wayyy back and catching  "golden trout" and thought they were a unique species . I'll put that info into my memory bank ! 

If you want to catch a "different" trout , try fishing for the aurora !  I have mounted a couple , long time ago !  

Aurora.PNG

16 hours ago, smerchly said:

Ha ... verrrry interesting post Symmetre , I didn't know that !  I remember going near the Adam Beck Gen  plant wayyy back and catching  "golden trout" and thought they were a unique species . I'll put that info into my memory bank ! 

If you want to catch a "different" trout , try fishing for the aurora !  I have mounted a couple , long time ago !  

Aurora.PNG

The aurora trout is on my personal bucket list 

23 hours ago, smerchly said:

Aurora.PNG

The canal system above the powerhouses produced many palomino back in the day. Never did get one there myself but guys i fished in there with did. 

18 minutes ago, steellee said:

The canal system above the powerhouses produced many palomino back in the day. Never did get one there myself but guys i fished in there with did. 

I never mounted one , but since they are a rainbow trout , I could paint any bow yellow . When a fish to be mounted dries out it loses it's colours and must be painted . I painted a walleye up like a perch once , fooled a few people,

Beauty mount !

Golden trout mount.PNG