Thunder Struck

Dan Andrews

My opener was great due to one lure. The storm thunderstick is my go to lure when you have 3-10 feet of water and plenty of moss. The thunderstick can be towed behind my kayak anywhere from 6 to 50 feet back without ever touching bottom yet it stays under the water and has good action. I've tried other shallow crankbaits but they either pop out if you go a little too fast or they plunge down and take on moss.

What lures do you have that might fit these conditions. I'm in Fort Erie and many tackle sellers either aren't open during my few purchasing hours or just don't carry storm lures. I have only one left and want more. I find the bass pattern works best for the little cannibals but the perch will produce also.

The other thing I've discovered is the smaller gang hooks hold an acrobatic flying bass better than the hooks on rapalas J9's, X rap or husky jerks. I don't cast the shallows I troll so what else can you suggest that might be found in our sponsors forum or in major stores

Thanks John. The only thing I forgot to mention though is the lure needs to float. If it sinks then it get in the algae. As I am forced to do some sharp turns the floating stick baits work the best. Bass love it when the lure stops then very slowly speeds up as your line straightens and I get many fish just as the slack tightens.

There is a fly that woul fill the bill: the Dahlburg Diver. If you're trolling it will work well on spinning gear, but of course you'd need a fly rod to cast it.

The fly dives when retrieved and pops to the surface when at rest. With a marabou or rabbit fur tail the thing is lethal. Below is a link for tying instructions.

Dahlberg Diver

Archived