New Fav Bass Lure?

Dan Andrews

Well I haven't been able to find anyone in Niagara that carries my favourite inshore lure. I like the Storm thunderstick because it has good action and doesn't dive into the algae.

Today I went to Peters and picked up an original thunderstick but it's just not the same so I start looking for similar lures that dive no more than 2 feet. The only thing I could find was a Koppers Live Target perch which came in varying diving depths so i grabbed the perch and a smelt that dives 5-6 feet. A little pricey but way better built. My first cast as soon as the line tightened I got the splash camera action happening and it went on from there

008-4.jpg

This thing rivaled the thinderstick for both action and effectiveness and it didn't dive too deep. The water was very choppy and I spent more time watching the waves then the rod tip but there's no mistaking a bent rod and splashing behind the kayak.

So after some time I tied on my last thunderstick and some other lures but the Koppers and storm tied. I will have to do allot more testing but so far I am very impressed with this new lure. The shore people sure liked it too. She is a beauty to look at. i know I was tempted to bite it myself :crazy:

Notice I didn't remove the snap ring. Live target lures come with instructions and they specifically say not to use a snap clip so why the ring? I was also impressed with how sharp the hooks were out of the box. The last lure I bought with sticky sharp hooks had excalibur gangs on it.

I don't do much trolling for bass from the kayak, only pike. If I could recommend a crankbait though, why not try a shallow running shad rap. I bet it would work great. Timeless classic. Peters might have em.

Oh yea...Nice smallie! Did she take you water skiing?

http://www.rapala.com/products/lures/shallow_shad_rap/

• 1 month later...

I use a ton of lures, but I always find myself back with a spinnerbait. It's never failed for largies, smallies, pike, or muskie. You can run it in around structure, deep, shallow and even through weeds. Pretty versatile lure.

• 3 weeks later...

My go to Bass lures are the Kelly's Pier Boy Special plastic worms. They never fail to bring out the bite. NEVER! No good for trolling but I don't have a boat! As a bonus nearly everything else will bite them too, so I am often surprised with Pike etc on the end of the line. Finally, I like them for the kids. It is super easy to teach them how to use these lures properly and the hooks set fairly easily. Finding them locally is the only hard part. Haven't seen them at Pete's but they usually have a decent selection at Grimsby Tackle. (Althoug I clean them out of my favorite colours each time I make the trip out there!) ^_^

Archived