Dream Tube Rod And Reel

bonnethead

I'm looking to upgrade a few of my rods/reels this winter and have decided the first is to get the best rod and reel for dragging tubes on Erie. I dont care if its spinning or Baitcasting as long as the reel is left handed. Lets be realistic....If you haven't used/owned the gear, dont recommend it. While I don't like the idea of shelling out 450$ for a NRX if that's hands down the best rod then OK, the same goes with a reel. I recently bought a Sustain for drop shotting, while i haven't used it yet it does reel incredibly smooth. Remember don't tell me to buy a STEEZ if you havent used or owned on yourself. That being said if the rod/reel is so fantastic, I would expect anyone who makes a recommendation to have buckled down and shelled out the $$$ also. Thanks in advance. :thx:

• 1 month later...

Cheap rods & reels,no problems yet!I outfish most people on my boat with this setup out on erie dropshotting.As long as you get a smooth drag there really is no worries.I don't have any guy's looking that close at my gear so im not embarresed.Spend away.LOL

Guest live2fish85

I agree with you there. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a rod good enough to catch fish drop shottin. A St. Croix Mojo bass with a with a Pfluegeur President will work just as well and catch just as many fish. For the most part its the fisherman that catchs the fish not the rod. Saying that some cheap uglystick isn't going to work like a $100 rod. I will put money on that. I just answered his question.

I agree with you there. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a rod good enough to catch fish drop shottin. A St. Croix Mojo bass with a with a Pfluegeur President will work just as well and catch just as many fish. For the most part its the fisherman that catchs the fish not the rod. Saying that some cheap uglystick isn't going to work like a $100 rod. I will put money on that. I just answered his question.

Don't knock the uglystik :P lol! I've been fishing it hardd for close to a year now (well, I guess it hasn't seen any use since walleye fishing in November) and it's showing no sign of quitting on me (except for some cracked cork). Agree that it probably won't work/feel like a mid-upper range rod, but for my purposes, it's suited me well. Biggest bass on it has been a 3lb5oz smallie haha...that guy definitely put some bend in it though :)

Don't knock the uglystik :P lol! I've been fishing it hardd for close to a year now (well, I guess it hasn't seen any use since walleye fishing in November) and it's showing no sign of quitting on me (except for some cracked cork). Agree that it probably won't work/feel like a mid-upper range rod, but for my purposes, it's suited me well. Biggest bass on it has been a 3lb5oz smallie haha...that guy definitely put some bend in it though :)

I agree, I always have an Ugly Stick in my arsenal, they are some durable fishing poles and I just bought a 9 foot Ugly Stick for a new Catfish/Carp pole this spring.

I have not seen a sense to ever buy a pole or reel that is over $40 bucks (each) however, I am in the process of buying a bit more of a costly rod just to try out and see the difference.

Guest live2fish85

I agree with the both of you uglystick are durable rods and have a fair bit of sensitivity, I fished them for years and still use them for my carp fishing. That being said they are nothing compared to a 100 dollar St. Croix, when you are drop shottin it is a good thing to have that extra sensitivity. I landed my best smallie at over 5lbs on my St. Croix and it felt like a perch nibble on my line. When your drop shottin in 30' to 40' of water you wouldn't feel half the hits with the uglystick. Techniques like drop shottin isn't like throwin cranks or spinners where they hit and thats all you need cause they are hooked. Try a Higher end rod and you wont be disappointed. I am not sayin you need a 600$ combo less then 200 and you will be laughing.

guys

were a little of track...if you want s great rod for drop shotting I love the carrot stick wild 7' ML fast tip, you feel EVERYTHING.

i'm looking for a rod to drag tubes.

I have a builder who does st croix legends at a good price but what length and power and action?

I've used 7'6" Mojo MH MF and had good success, (but a little heavy), used a pfleuger president rod in MH 7' MHF and MH MF, (a little short for long hook sets).

but whats the ULTIMATE?

If your wife said she wanted to buy you a new rod and reel and she was going to get the money from workin some extra overtime what would you use?

I'm also goin to Texas to fish Fork and have to buy a Heavy Jig rod so I am lookin for a rod for that in addition.

Guest live2fish85

Its really going to be your personal pref. I personally like 7' MH and Fast action. I see no use myelf for going to a longer rod for bass. That is just me though. With the MH you will get what you are looking for though.

Guest live2fish85

I forgot to type in the Legend Extreme in the last post for the rod. Refardless if you are looking for a longer rod it won't make a difference on the action. Try a longer legend extreme in MH Fast action.

For $300 I would grab a st croix mojo or avid or a shimano compre or crucial (something with a medium or medium/light action and fast tip around 7 ft long) and pair it up with a saros or stradic 2500. Thats a nice setup right there. Also, make sure you run braid in the 10-15 lb range with a fluoro leader and you will feel absolutely everything down there.

Guest live2fish85

The mojo are a great rod and I do agree you don't need to spend that much money to get a good rod. Another good reel to match up with the lighter combo is a Pflueger President or Supreme XT in the 25 size.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 7'6" Quantum Tour edition and it is great. While you are down in the states go to a Dick's Sporting Goods and pick up a Hurricane Redbone. They are roughly $100 and every bit as good as a rod two or three times that price. Great warranty too.

Archived