Lake Gibson - Poaching Report (Unofficial)

cdnfishguy11

The MNR was checking the boat anglers out a 3 weeks ago at Deseronto ......2 guys in a boat with twin Hondas . All they were doing was a survey .....asked me how many fish I caught , how long my stay there , how much $$$ I spend . No checking for safety gear or anything else like live well for limits or oos fish . It seems the $$$ factor is king ......no surprise eh .........I'll agree we need more CO's , but lets do some thorough checking for licenses etc. while they at it and increase the fines a lot more for these guys who snub the rules.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with changing the cost for licenses....I think what we give the government is more than enough. Especially if you consider its private groups that do most of the stocking of fish on the Canadian side. I also think its sufficient for supporting the MNR and combating against offenders. As far as jobs go the government could create all kinds of ministry jobs if it wanted to through ticketing offenders and using the money from fines to pay for the program.

I love all the responses guys!

This post was meant to show although there is a problem the majority of fishermen are still great people passing on the passion we all share!

I have been checked twice this year by the MNR and once in Hamilton Harbour by the OPP, who checked our boating liscences and safety gear. The Ofiicer who dealt with us was great. He was courteous and once he was sure that we were in compliance he shared alot of his concerns with the system in place. They are gossly undermanned and overwhelmed. Any help from the anglers would be appreciated. As far as confronting oos fishermen, do what you feel needs to be done as long as nobody gets hurt. Nobody wants to hear about a concerned angler get beaten half to death by some red faced silverback arswipe trying to show his kids how good a fisherman Daddy is by targeting spawning Bass in the shallows. Before confronting one of these idiots, call someone or a few people and the MNR. I'm sure 99% of most of these guys would think twice about getting physical if there are a number of you instead of an individual. If nobody is available to come out then all you can do is take his plates and maybe a few photos and send the info to the authourities.

P.S. raising liscence fees is a bad idea not only because these individuals will poach anyway but because we already pay enough in gear, gas, taxes and ramp fees. A one time course is not at all out of the question though, as long as fees don't increase dramatically.

great work man. glad to hear work getting done on people poaching oos fish. i go to gibson 4 times a week on average. and say there are 6 people there, myself and maybe one other are targeting in season fish. the others openly admit to fishing for bass. i tell them that i fish for pike since bass is out of season. they usually keep quite after that and move away. i did confront a family the other day. informing them that there son who was approx 14 was targeting bass.i talked to ihm before his parents and told him to target pike and told him that he was just picking bass off there beds. i also told him that if a c.o came buy he would have his tackle, rod etc taken away andbe given a fine.. then he decided to get snippy with me.. so i took it to his parents. told them what he was doing, why its bad. what it does to the fish,and what he could do insted.. his father told me to mind my own business as his mother made comments about how ignorant i am.. i never used foul language, i kept it appropriate for there younger daughter who was within ear shot. icould tell the father had no clue about the regs. so i told him why its bad.. explained it very detailed about how it harms the fish. he used the excuse that there just kids. i tried to explain that its fine that there kids. but you need to educate them on the rules so when they grow up they can still fish the same spots and so they will know the rules. they kept saying rude comments about me.. so as i leave approx an hour later he calls me over and says he understands why i said what i did.... then he tried to justify his kid some more.. i told him thats a bad excuse and a c.o doesnt care. i told him that his son will without a doubt have his gear taken. then he proceeds to say i better watch who i talk to like this. since im by myself he said i should watch out since i dont know what could happen. i told him making threats to me like that were enough for me to call the police. i wasnt being ignorant, all i was doing was trying to inform. its amazing how people get so worked up and mad when you simply point them out doing something that they know they shouldnt.

well, theres my rant. keep up the great work guys. :)

and on a side note, although iv only been fishing since trout opener. i have yet to see a c.o anywhere on duty. only one i saw was cutting grass at the mnr house at the bottom of the hill on 1st street louth

The father was right. You had no business confronting him. Some of you are carring this a little too far. Someone is going to get hurt. If you see an infraction call the TIPS line and let them do their job. I know that you mean well but it is not your job.

The father was right. You had no business confronting him. Some of you are carring this a little too far. Someone is going to get hurt. If you see an infraction call the TIPS line and let them do their job. I know that you mean well but it is not your job.

I disagree. No it's not our job but when there is nobody there to do it and people are destroying the fish population that is for all of us then some of us feel the need to say something. I'm a big boy, I'm not inviting a physical confrontation in fact I would go to great lengths to avoid one but I am not gonna just stand by and watch this garbage continue. The MNR tips line is a great tool but I doubt that anything is done without a serious investigation. Does the MNR have the resources to conduct such an investigation?......I doubt it. Just because some random guy takes a few liscence plates down doesn't make it a credible source of info. How does the MNR know that it's not some cook with a chip on his shoulder reporting people.......Gaaaah. This really is a no-win conversation with some people because we are not all going to agree on how to handle this although I'm sure we can all agree that there is more that can be done as far as educating people. Maybe there should be commercials for this problem like the water safety ones that have been airing recently?

I agree with captnn and also ,good answer Seanook . The word cook (kook) means something here . The problem with confronting people these days are the kooks . You never know how stable they are ......stoned or half in the bag , or just disgruntled due to life's problems etc . Making a little hint like " I am fishing for pike since bass season isn't open yet " might get their attention ,but if they ignore the hint , back off and do the phone calls &/or the photo opt. thing if you like. It isn't worth the hassle ! Too many are ignoring or don't know the rules , so I'll let the CO's take care of things. It's like drivers texting etc. on their phones , I see every day . The law is there but is ignored .....and we don't confront them either.

Seriously?

The least we can do when we see something is say something. Sometimes oos fishing etc is deliberate, other times it is ignorance. At least making them aware of the rules, and that other anglers are watching, and in touch with MNR, then it might stop a few of them.

You dont need to start a fistfight with them, but kudos to those that speak up when our resources are being abused!

Seriously?

The least we can do when we see something is say something. Sometimes oos fishing etc is deliberate, other times it is ignorance. At least making them aware of the rules, and that other anglers are watching, and in touch with MNR, then it might stop a few of them.

You dont need to start a fistfight with them, but kudos to those that speak up when our resources are being abused!

thats just what i was going for. yeah i could have just called the tips line.. but why do that when the guy might have no idea what hes doing wrong, or what hes allowing his kid to do thats wrong. i wasnt being a jerk. i was being generally nice and showing that i was trying to educate, that was all. and if i know someone is half in the bag or stoned off there face, i know enough to call tips and possibly police, depending on the seriousness and leaving if i feel unsafe.

If you approach them in a "nice" way and not "confront" them , you may get be able to "educate" and they may comply . If you detect any form of hostility , best to back off . I see too many anglers who can't leave their beer at home and will not be too kind to any of your friendly "advice" . I don't believe it's worth getting into a fight over any fish . Best advice I can give here , call tips if you have a cell and enjoy the day fishing.

If I see someone catching fish out of season all I say is you know they are out of season. It's up to them what they do. If you are that concerned why don't you get some regulations and give them one to read. This way you don't have to get in a confrontation.

keep up the reports guys. i was at gibson today and a c.o was going around checking what your going after what your using if your keeping anything and if you had a licence. i talked to him for a few mins. he said there have been a ton of reports for gibson. nobody was caught, surprisingly everybody was going for pike or panfish. nice to see him going around and asking questions though.

keep up the reports guys. i was at gibson today and a c.o was going around checking what your going after what your using if your keeping anything and if you had a licence. i talked to him for a few mins. he said there have been a ton of reports for gibson. nobody was caught, surprisingly everybody was going for pike or panfish. nice to see him going around and asking questions though.

NICE!!!!

Good to see the MNR showing up there. Unfortunately its almost ompossible to prove what species you are targeting if you are using cranks, spinners etc.... Guess the have to catch ppl with oos fish in their possession.

agreed, i was just starting to lose hope from not seeing a single mnr this year..

he seemed to be interested in watching where i was casting. but even with a size 5 meeps spinner casting into the open water i still got a largemouth. it unhooked itself before i got it in. but needless to say im happy the guy wasnt there for that. he seemed in a good mood though, one guy left his liscence in his car and he just walked with him to get it. afterthe talk he asked if he kept anything and asked if there was anything in his car. after that he was on his way.

Do any of our members own a printing shop? How about if our sponsors assist in paying for signs that outline the regulations. When each fishing season opens and closes. A simple print out of the zone 16 regulations from the ministry site and we post them in the most popular places Lake Gibson etc...then there are no excuses. It would be something our sponsors could add their name and or logo to at the bottom. Yes I know that they will get taken down, but there are enough members here who could keep the sponsors and or members up to date on when they need to be replaced. Perhaps mounting them on garbage cans as a solve two problems for one deal?

my two cents,

Scott

I like that idea Banker66, I will gladly help post up signs, and yes post them in popular areas not jus Lake Gibson.

Archived