Erie Bass

Dax

Launched at 6am and fished till 1:30pm, Dave and I probably boated 40-50 Smallies, with an average size of 2-2.5 pounds, lost another 20-30...An absolutely great Opener! All fish came shallow, less than 8 fow, most on Xraps, my biggest hit a spook on top, I actually got 5 or 6 on the surface before 10 am while it was still flat calm...The first few hours we were seeing schools of Emerald Shiners breaking the surface and Bass exploding through them attacking...A cast past this and a retrieve through the vacinity usually resulted in a strike! Plenty hit near the boat and at least half the hits we could see, which resulted in many premature hooksets! All good fun!

Bass_opener_2012_003.jpg

Dave's 4.3 pounder was the biggest.

Bass_opener_2012_006.jpg

Bass_opener_2012_011.jpg

Bass_opener_2012_013.jpg

Very nice.. We were also out there near you guys. Our bigggest was 3.1, they were blowing up on schools of minnows all over the place. Very cool to see.

Those are some nice lunker bass Dax . You can't beat Erie for top notch bass fishing . I caught my largest smallie there ! ( still haven't broke the 5 lb.barrier) B)

Guest live2fish85

Nice work Dax. Glad to see you had a good opener.

I had a great opener as well. Caught a ton of tanks out where I was telling you about and to my suprise there was alot more in shallow then I was thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the better Bass guys can correct me if I'm wrong...They generally move from Shallow(less than 10') to deep(30-40') and the season progresses from June to November...BUT, there are times throughout the season when you will catch good numbers shallow.

Guest live2fish85

You can fish shallow and still get good numbers in the middle of the summer just they are small for the most part.

If you want the big ones you needcto move deep, into 30-40 fow like Dax mentioned. My favourite dropshot spot on Erie is 34'. On average there in the summer I will pull 3-4lbs smallies there. With somw big ones mixed in.

Archived