Bass On The Fly

YakFisher

Quick question.... I'm having some trouble casting bigger bass bugs. It is taking way too much effort to sling it out there. I was curious if changing my set up would help. Right now, I have a 7/8# rod with a weight forward, floating line of the same weight. I'm using 10 ft of 10# flouro leader and a 2 ft 4# tippet. I don't want to buy a new rod, but I'm curious if changing leader length or weight could help. Thanks all

Go to a shorter leader for sure. I never use longer than a 7.5' with 2' tippet. Using a twisted mono leader works wonders for turning over big heavy flies.

I know it sounds odd, but I've found that with the twisted leaders I end up with less knots and less twist in my line. Sounds counter intuitive and I have no way to prove it to you other than having you try it yourself. The leader is very easy to make and only takes 15 mins or so. I start with 4-17# mono depending on what I want to use it for. The instructions are available at http://www.medflycom.org/foto/LG_TwistedLeader.pdf or google Leo's Twisted Leader System. They are used a lot in salt water fishing where you really chuck big flies. I alter it slightly but tying a nail knot over the middle joint rather than an overhand. I use 4# mono on my 17# leaders and mono fly tying thread on my lighter ones. I tie the ends different too so they don't end up as a weak spot. If you are in Niagara I'd be happy to give you one to try if you are willing to pick it up.

bass lines really help in punching bigger bugs out. i have a cheap martin 8 wt. that can toss big flies with ease - it ain't pretty but it works.

Ola has a point. Line is could be the culprit. You could even try stepping up a line weight. 9 weight line is pretty heavy though.

Read up on this .... I use this technique quite often when throwing big and heavy flies...

http://midcurrent.com/experts/casting-heavy-flies/

This is a Lefty Kreh Video explaining the technique relating it to sinking lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_nYg_lMq7U

This technique will make life alot easier and youll be able to keep a long leader !

I read the Article and it was great! ("Bass on the Fly")

Thanks.

I do not have a Fly set up, but have always respected the method.

Always wondered why more FLY GUYS were not going for everything?

If your good with a Fly Rod, I figure you could catch anything and everything (Thats not glued on the bottom).

Many fly anglers believe trout as a higher calling and don't respect other fish...

Me however will toss flys at anything that swims :P

Many fly anglers believe trout as a higher calling and don't respect other fish...

Me however will toss flys at anything that swims :P

I've been having so much fun with my fly rods I haven't even unpacked my other gear yet. Seems to be a northern thing not using fly gear for everything. The guys that got me started use them for everything. Even bottom huggers. I watched a guy battle with a big permit for an hour until his rod snapped and he had to hand line it the rest of the way in. It is really some thing to watch a tarpon caught on a fly.

Archived