Top Water - Hula Popper

cdnfishguy11

Hey guys,

After realizing the power of a properly fished topwater popper when fly fishing I have decided to dust of my baitcaster and go to a few different spots that are almost unfishable with a fly rod....

My favorite topwater lure is a 5/8 oz. hula popper in firetiger or frog...

they come with 2 trebles right beside each other....

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/BassPro/15534_is

Im thinking of making removing the front treble...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/files/imagecache/photo-single-upscale/legacy/1000232706.jpg

most of my hookups involve both trebles and I wanna put less stress on the fish when its out of the water !

Any thought if it will still preform well... if Im only hooked on the rear hook will it be easier for the fish to gain leverage and throw the hook?

It is a well known fact that on light days use light coloured baits and dark days use dark baits...

after insisting on catching largies on top water this morning and coming up dry even though the bass were clearly feeding on the surface I have come to the conclusion that I need to outfit my bass bag with dark bellied poppers !

do they make black hula poppers ? I have never seen any...

anyways I will be making some custom hula popper style baits with dark bottoms and lights tops for visability when casting...

anybody have and suggestions on types of wood for the baits ?

• 2 weeks later...

:) damn... nice catch... Maybe its a lure i should start paying attention to again. :)

What do you do... Cast... then small jerks as your reeling right? I have always had trouble with this for some reason... big Jerks or small ones?

Hey guys, just reading your thread, and may have some input. I'm a big fan of top-water fishing for bass, and LIVE TARGET just came out with a new lure this year that may interest you. It's a combo of their famous "walking frog" and a popper style lure. I haven't picked one up yet, but plan on doing so. You pay a little more for the live target lures, but the quality and realism is really unmatched by any other lure makers. This one here is green, but you can get them in some awesome color combos.

KoppersLIVETARGET-Popper-Frog5-e1342794923117.jpg

Important not to use a steady retrieve I would say 7/10 fish hit it on the pause ....

my way is varied bursts of movement differing in length and intensity ...

Try to pause it 3 seconds or greater ... the longer the better :)

Try using the mini poppers also , the bass love them too . Does anyone still use the jitterbugs ? (love that gurgling sound) Running them along rocky shorelines and weed beds can be a treat ....the bass really slam them !

Nice bass on the popper. I saw a fishing vid posted on here with a guy fly fishing the popper and I loved it soo much that I wanted to try it.I burrowed a fly rod from a friend recently and started learning; it is just awesome, and the popper is definitely one of my fav lures...

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics...

8923581.jpg

8923576.jpg

It is a well known fact that on light days use light coloured baits and dark days use dark baits...

after insisting on catching largies on top water this morning and coming up dry even though the bass were clearly feeding on the surface I have come to the conclusion that I need to outfit my bass bag with dark bellied poppers !

do they make black hula poppers ? I have never seen any...

anyways I will be making some custom hula popper style baits with dark bottoms and lights tops for visability when casting...

anybody have and suggestions on types of wood for the baits ?

Buy a light one and grab a marker dude. No need to over complicate it. Unless you really want to Get into making your own lures

thats still one lure i have never had any luck with... maybe i'm not retreving it properly..

I feel that the most important part of using a popper is the pause after you first cast it. When the lure hits the water and a fish is near, it may spook the fish a bit. Wait the ten seconds or so for the fish to realize that the big splash is not a threat (a good gauge is to wait for the ripples to disappear). Then start trying different types and speeds of retrieval to pattern the fish and see whats getting them in that given day.

Top water is the most fun because of how visual it is. Its also really difficult to stay patient when you do get a strike. Wait til you feel the weight of the fish before you set the hook or you'll end up with a bait in your forehead. Lol.

Good luck.

I swear by the skitter pop!

THIS!

It's not the sound of the "BLURP" that triggers a bass, it's the size of the "spit", how far a topwater can spit a splash of water infront of it. And the Skitter Pop does it better than most mass manu lures.

Find a lake like this.

100_0720800x600.jpg

Catch fish like that

100_0776800x600.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, just reading your thread, and may have some input. I'm a big fan of top-water fishing for bass, and LIVE TARGET just came out with a new lure this year that may interest you. It's a combo of their famous "walking frog" and a popper style lure. I haven't picked one up yet, but plan on doing so. You pay a little more for the live target lures, but the quality and realism is really unmatched by any other lure makers. This one here is green, but you can get them in some awesome color combos.

KoppersLIVETARGET-Popper-Frog5-e13427949

Have caught tons of bass with that popper its amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

The new lures are very realistic but the price deters me from buying them . I liked using the poppers for bass and had many fun late evenings using jitterbugs along rocky shorelines and weed beds . There are so many new baits we can use for bass these days . Last year I had some fun with Senkos ....had a wacky good time ! BTB.....the night crawlers were thick last night .....don't think I'll see them tonight ! :santa:

• 3 months later...

KoppersLIVETARGET-Popper-Frog5-e13427949

Nailed a big largie up north after just a few casts. Had a lot of action in northern Ontario with this lure but haven't had the chance to use it much in niagara.

Archived