Niagara On The Lake

Jason15

I was thinking about going down to NOTL to fish the Niagara river just across from Fort George. Does anyone know if the is a descent spot? last time I was there I saw some people fishing but didn't see them catch anything.

I have caught a bunch of nice size Drum (Sheephead) at that spot... on other days i have been skunked... its a hit or miss spot, i find.. but its a nice spot..

You won't have much luck float fishing. Try dropshotting. It will keep the gobies off your bait. Tie the hook up about a foot to 18" and use fairly heavy weight. Tubes work great for smallies down there...but it is hit or miss.

I'm looking to catch anything. From most of my experience when i was younger it was just creek and the odd river I fished so the odd perch, cat fish, blue gill, sun fish, smaller bass was the normal catch for me. I want to catch more agressive fish so hopefully I can get some there

If you want aggressive hard fighting fish, go for smallies. Drift tubes and dropshots down that stretch...you should get a few. Early morning would be best.

In that section in red, what's the current like? Is it dangerous, or is the river wide enough to slow the flow to make it safe for an small inflatable fishing raft?

When I was a kid, I'm pretty sure I remember swimming on the US side somewhere around there... I was young though, so maybe I'm mistaken.

When the salmon are running, that seems like it'd be good to check out.

Went by their yesterday, there was maybe 4 people, just me tonight and a couple of swans. Didn't catch anything but it was interesting enough to try again tomorrow night, trying the drop shot method but don't know if I'm doing it right.

So i went on sunday to try the area i had highlited and was told i wasnt allowed to fish there... :pardon: there were no signs but it was really busy and some sort of golf tournament was going on so i left and tried to find another spot but had no luck further upand it looked like a fairly large stom was coming in. I ended up going to Charles Daley and got skunked...

Niagara on the lake has plenty of areas where the land is owned right to the water so you do have to be careful in spot selection. Also be weary .. there are a few areas you need a specialized license (NOTL resident) to fish ... or at least you did a few years back.

Don't know how the golf course could stop you if your on the shore, the land the course is on was always Federal government land. I use to be a junior golfer down there and a long time ago the government had thoughts of taking it over, the course gave us full rights for a day to show government officials how important the club was for kids. There is parking at the far end of the course, enter there and just work your way back along the shore, use to catch odd lake trout in that area in spring.

Sorry to keep this up, but are talking about the paths on course that lead to the old fort etc., or the old dirt path that runs along the shore by the rock wall below the course, can't figure why anyone would be there. Tried down near the marina tonight, one fellow had a small bass, I caught someones lost lure. Didn't fight worth a damn.

Niagara on the lake has plenty of areas where the land is owned right to the water so you do have to be careful in spot selection. Also be weary .. there are a few areas you need a specialized license (NOTL resident) to fish ... or at least you did a few years back.

" Land owned right to the water" ......".Specialized License" .......This is the kind of B.S. that has been going on for years . As a long time resident of Niagara , I have seen dozens of spots become "special" and are now only "memory" fishing spots . I know a few good spots to fish at N.O.T.L. but they are off limits to average Joe Blow now. It seems to me we deserve to lose these spots & more to come because we don't fight to keep them . It also seems we fishermen have morphed into "special" groups where they are only concerned with their style of fishing and the others can fight for their own cause . I liked fishing some places at the lower river from shore , catching lots of perch & bass & the odd pike , all on minnows . I hope we will not have to buy a special license to fish special places in St.Kitts in the future days ahead .........