Jigging For Bass

Spoopity

i have recently started jigging for bass specifically berkley 4" power worm on a texas rig, or jig head. i dont know what im doing wrong. i let it sink to the bottom, then slowly bounce it off the bottom back towards me. i get mass hits but i cant seem to set the hook? ive tried leaving slack in the line and letting the fish take it. i have used offset hooks or i just nose hook with a small hook, but still have had very little luck. its been getting really frustrating knowing there is a fish at the end of your line and not knowing if the hook is in their mouth or not. the hooks i was using were very sharp and i even tried setting the hook harder then normal. i fish off a bridge where i catch a lot of small and large mouth, with the odd pike with spinners so i know theyre there.

if anyone could give me some pointers id be a happy guy haha

Not sure what kind of hook you are using, but it may be too small. When you weedless rig the hook you will see that there is a small gap between the bait and the shank of the hook, that space may need to be bigger. The bait isn't pushing down enough to let the hook point actually sink into the fish's mouth. Don't be afraid to go a little bigger. I usually use 2/0 to 5/0 extra wide gap depending on the size of the bait. If you use braid, you should be OK with a heavy gauge wire hook, but if you use mono or flouro there is a bit of stretch, and less setting power, maybe go to a lighter gauge wire hook or braid.

Rod length and power will make a difference, usually a 7' or bigger, heavy rod is used for Texas riggin. Picks up line quicker, and gives you power for hook sets and to pull a fish out of the weeds if needed.

Also, you didn't mention what size worm, but try downsizing that a bit.

The one thing with using a technique for the few first few times, is that you haven't quite got the feel for it. Keep using it, once you get the first fish try and repeat what you did and you will increase your success. I never try a new technique during a cash tourney, why waste time with something you haven't mastered yet, fish what you know and leave new techniques for practice days!

Tight lines!

Guest live2fish85

Not sure what kind of hook you are using, but it may be too small. When you weedless rig the hook you will see that there is a small gap between the bait and the shank of the hook, that space may need to be bigger. The bait isn't pushing down enough to let the hook point actually sink into the fish's mouth. Don't be afraid to go a little bigger. I usually use 2/0 to 5/0 extra wide gap depending on the size of the bait. If you use braid, you should be OK with a heavy gauge wire hook, but if you use mono or flouro there is a bit of stretch, and less setting power, maybe go to a lighter gauge wire hook or braid.

Rod length and power will make a difference, usually a 7' or bigger, heavy rod is used for Texas riggin. Picks up line quicker, and gives you power for hook sets and to pull a fish out of the weeds if needed.

Also, you didn't mention what size worm, but try downsizing that a bit.

The one thing with using a technique for the few first few times, is that you haven't quite got the feel for it. Keep using it, once you get the first fish try and repeat what you did and you will increase your success. I never try a new technique during a cash tourney, why waste time with something you haven't mastered yet, fish what you know and leave new techniques for practice days!

Tight lines!

Exactly what Big Dog said, can't explain it any better.

It also depends on where you are fishing. If you are fishing fpr smallies with that setup where there isn't a ton of weeds and slop, I would use a 2/0-3/0 hook and rig it whacky. For that you can us a Medium setup. A good way to use the senko like that for smallies I find is I rip in a crankbait, I usually use a J11 in a certain colour and the bass always follow but that is it. Once the line is in I toss my senko near them and let it do it thing. It isn't usually to long before I have one. That is something I use when fishing shallow on Erie and things aren't as hot as they are usually.

Hope that helps.

i did mention the size of the worm, 4 inches. and i know it isnt gobies, because i can see how fast my line straitens out and it keeps going with it. dont get me wrong i have caught fish with it, a 2.5 lb smallie witch is big for my spot, but i keep trying the same thing and very little success, but u may be right. ive been using a 6ft med rod with 12lb mono. i have used 2 different sizes of offset hooks, i just dont know the numbers haha. one was a fairly big space and the other wasnt. Also, when using a jig head i had just as much action, but couldnt even manage 1 hookset. had a couple run off with it, but when i try to set the hook just seems to pull the worm out of their mouth. by the end of the day all im left with is a few worms with tails ripped off and the whole back torn up but never close enough to the hook.

Guest live2fish85

I assume your are hooking it texas rather then whacky? I would try whacky. I am not saying using a jig won't work there are just alot more productive methods. Also if you are catchung 2.5lbs smallie which is a good size there a 4 in senko texas rigged is probably to big for the smaller smallies.

Wait until you feel the weight of the fish, then set the hook.

just my opinion, but 4" is small enough that pan fish will jerk on that worm all day long and this could account for some of the hits.

Using braided line can also help.

I use my buck tail jigs for bass and walleye with great success :). The 1/2 oz. and 3/8 are perfect and I prefer my perch.pattern for eyes or black n white. The bass seem to like the brighter colours

Guest live2fish85

Bucktail jigs are a different story lol. I love my bucktail jigs for smallies and walleye. A 4" senko on a jig head is a hole different story.

thank you everyone for the help. it isnt a very big worm so i guess it might be pannies. I know its rock bass sometimes cause i have caught a few already. right now the only plastics i have are the 4 inch power worms in camo and blue fleck. camo seems to be more productive

just wondering if you are almost exposing the hook point through the worm so when a bass does bite the hook will come out of the worm and into the mouth of the fish. i found when i first started rigging texas style the same thing was happening then i left the point exposed ever so slightly and it increased my hookups big time. just a thought

Sounds to me like you are in a school of pan fish that are only grabbing the tail of your bait. Try down sizing your bait and I am sure you will start hooking up with those fish.

This right here. I doubt it's your setup that's causing the lost fish. I've caught many many bass on a texas senko with a med. light spinning rod and 8lb mono. No problem with the hook penetrating.

i think it might be panfish to. i tried again yesterday and managed 1 rockbass in a weed bed and lost what looked like a 3pounder that broke me off, and isnt a 4 inch worm already small enough? its only about 7 fow, and about 20 in the other spot. which do u think would be better?

I like working a small spinner bait like it was a jig. Put a small tube or creature bait on the hook to add weight and texture, then bounce it slowly along the bottom near structure,weeds, etc.

The blade(s) create vibration and flash which attracts the fish and because it is so versatile, they might Chase it. Its also virtually weedless.

If I had to pick one bait for the rest of my life for warm water, it would be a small dark blue, with glitter spinner. Just my2cents

I like working a small spinner bait like it was a jig. Put a small tube or creature bait on the hook to add weight and texture, them bounce it slowly along the bottom near structure,weeds, etc.

The blade(s) create vibration and flash which attracts the fish and because it is so versatile, they might Chase it. Its also virtually weedless.

If I has to pick one bait for the rest of my life for warm water, it would be a small dark blue, with glitter spinner. Just my2cents

is that with a single hook or a treble?

so take the treble hook of a spinner, put a single hook and put a jig on it? how big of a hook? and what kind of jig? the water i fish has about 3 or 4 feet visibility and is a little brownish. i always see pike and big bass chasing smaller fish just looking down the bridge but never seem to hook any big pike or big bass. ill get the rare 2lb large or small mouth on spinners but the bite has stopped for spinners there almost completely. so i decided to give jigging a try. again its new to me so im learning more every time i get out.

Archived