Smallies, The Gangsters Or Cowboys Of The Fish World?

meatface

Went to my nieces soccer tournament today in Brantford. There was a massive 3 hour break between two of the games. What to do, what to do? Well...since the field backs right onto the Grand...LOL. The water was crystal clear and all the weeds have apparently moved on. I tried a variety of rigs, with and without worms and shrimp. Of course the bass were very happy with the worms and shrimp, but they were in stealth mode and stripping the hooks.

In the end this little spinner is what won the day. Wish I had more experience with it and maybe I would have hooked up some more. I landed two baby smallies and got bumped by a few more but was unsuccessful hooking up. What was exciting about it all is that I moved to this rig because the bass were hitting large insects on the surface. So when they did hit my spinner they hit hard with the classic smash as they came straight up out of the water. With the clear water you could see them coming and it was awesome. It was also amazing how much the little buggers fought. I don't know if the action is related to them hitting on top of the water but I haven't had them fight like this before.

After the action I had with them I got to thinking about how they 'shoot first and ask questions later'. So that got me wondering if they are the gangsters, or cowboys of the fish world. I'm thinking they are like little gangsters, they see the action and smash it. They don't worry about it until after all the damage is done.

Now you'll all be extremely disappointed as I am, but my nieces team made it to the finals which means I have to go to Brantford again tomorrow :D

7811768168_bbfb9690ff.jpg

7811693724_3976d8ccc6.jpg

Well done Meat!

I would suggest "stick" with what is working ... and now with some experience ... the hook ups should improve!

*Try catching some Grasshoppers or Insects that are there

I have always SUPER RESPECTED the FLY GUYS and the trueism: "Match the Hatch".

- applies to us all, whatever choice of set up

If possible, any and all "Local" live bait is always a killer. No matter what that may be.

If not possible, sounds like the Spinner is the choice (Or variety of "action lures")

* Try a floating Rapala (Black or Blue)

Good luck! (Same to your daughter's Team ..> CONGRATS!)

ps: Yah the BRONZE are the "Gangsters" (remember, I mentioned some times they would SMASH and other times "Nibble") either way - They the KILLERS in there.

Nice was trying to get some smallies today to! as for bait I'd see if there are any shops around and see what they recommend or if the carry live bait if not stick with the spinner or other top water lures.

Thats a good sized river smallie. The reason they feel stronger then any other bass is because they are always fighting currrents which makes then strong. IMO the grand river has the strongest bass in southern ontario. Goodluck to you and your niece!

I always get them dropshotting and tubing in the Grand at the dam. Really small tubes on really light jigs. Try some really small soft plastic minnows, like a Gulp! Alive, Jackall Cross Tail Shad or Set The Hook Stumpy Crush Worm, light weight on the bottom, maybe 2 splitshots. Cast them into the current and let drift, slowly reeling back, and you should get fish. Cast into the dam, its a little deeper, and you should get fish like crazy. Small jerk baits and small, shallow diving cranks will be awesome as well.

On the way up to Brantford, you can get worms at Fishing World...not sure what time the bait shop opens.

WTG Meatface. Sure is fun catching those Grand River smallies. I echo what others have said, and river smallmouth are the the toughest fighing freshwater fish, pound for pound. Combine that with their acrobatics, and there isn't a fish more fun to catch, IMHO.

Hope you had fun on your 2nd day too.

• 1 year later...

Archived