Thought I Would Ask The Bass Pro's...

ChefMick

So I was watching one of Dave Mercers fishing shows...cant remember where they were but at the end of the show,

it gives you a breakdown of his set up....

Lure types, rod, reel, retrieve and the line....He was using 65lb. braid?????????????

Now I can understand if it were a tourney were a lost fish could mean everything, but a fishing show???

There may be some merit to using heavy braid when fishing in heavy vegetation, but I think this one is pretty simple- he is a big guy and would rather 'muscle' a fish into the air by lifting it (more dramatic) than either of the other options (1. using a net or 2. bending over to grab the fish directly by the lower jaw). Ever seen him lay down on his back to grab a fish from the water??? Looks like quite a challenge....

So, my opinion, he wants to power fish like KVD and hoist the fish up using rod only (would lose fish on lighter line)....

B

-------------

Count how many times they do it!!

-------------

So I was watching one of Dave Mercers fishing shows...cant remember where they were but at the end of the show,

it gives you a breakdown of his set up....

Lure types, rod, reel, retrieve and the line....He was using 65lb. braid?????????????

Now I can understand if it were a tourney were a lost fish could mean everything, but a fishing show???

In competitive fishing, every fish represents a potential for money. It is no longer you vs. the fish. It's you vs. the rest of the competing field. Remember, part of his show is about the score card.

There is also a good argument against minimalist fishing tactics. The longer you play a fish on ultralight gear, the more you tire and stress the bass. This is counterproductive to catch and release

I understand the usage of heavier line for the pro's ....

I also agree that landing a fish quickly is very important to it's health.

I personally never have used more than 10lb mono when fishing for Bass (Anywhere)

I enjoy a medium/lighter line (personally)

Not being critical of others ... but could never understand why anyone uses 50 lb+ line to catch 4-5lb fish.

Just my thoughts.

I can say I have NEVER been in a situation in my whole life that required that type of usage. Never.

Thats just me however.

*I'm not talking about deep water fishing, West coast Sturgeon ... Just my regular Ontario situations.

- Not even for Musky on LSC have I used that weight of line.

Time is money in those tournaments the longer you fight a fish the less time you have to get the hog. And I believe that mentality sticks with them. Also it is more dramatic for the show to just haul them out of the water into the boat.

Be able to winch a fish out of heavy cover before it wraps you around a log,dock is key. Also the abrasion of weeds, pads etc take a toll on line after awhile so the strength is there and the time factor

man i understand the whole get the fish in, makes perfect sense... but man, why not use 20 to 30 lb braid with a 12-20 pound mono leader... just sounds rediculous hearing a guy say he caught a 8 lb bucket with 655 lb braid... 20lb sounds alot better to tell people, just my two pennies

Think in terms of line diameter of line,

No question that braid is ideal for fishing heavy cover,

And to run a 20 lb braid on some of those bait casters can create problems,

I run 40 lb on mine so I have roughly 10 lb line diameter, That being said I always run a fluro leader (anywhere from 6 to 10 lbs)

Having larger line diameters makes it easier to manage the the line and deal with possible birds nests

And nobody should take advice from Mercer, there's a reason he only shoots TV shows and doesn't actually fish the circuit anymore.

Be able to winch a fish out of heavy cover before it wraps you around a log,dock is key. Also the abrasion of weeds, pads etc take a toll on line after awhile so the strength is there and the time factor

Think in terms of line diameter of line,

No question that braid is ideal for fishing heavy cover,

And to run a 20 lb braid on some of those bait casters can create problems,

I run 40 lb on mine so I have roughly 10 lb line diameter, That being said I always run a fluro leader (anywhere from 6 to 10 lbs)

Having larger line diameters makes it easier to manage the the line and deal with possible birds nests

And nobody should take advice from Mercer, there's a reason he only shoots TV shows and doesn't actually fish the circuit anymore.

Read Bondar's post and then cdnfishguy's and you got yourself the complete correct answer. Tournaments and swinging fish really have nothing to do with it. If you ever watch the tours, you'll see guys competing for money with 8lb flouro and swing fish into the boat also. Just depends on what and where your fishing.

Yep. It isn't't so much amatter of the money as it just being rigged right. I drop shot with 6lb flours and do so in the tournaments I have fished as well as when I am in heavy cover I am using 50# braid. It helps get the fish through stuff that with light braid it will still cut through the line. So there is reason for it more then just being able to rip the fish in without a net. That comes with knowledge. I doubt you will see someone in tournament try and lift a bass of 5lbs + like that

• 2 weeks later...

Remember guy's it a T/V show & it's Dave Mercer the funniest angler in Ontario :roflblack: 65lb braid is a bit much but I know Pro's that use it, I use 10lb crystal with 8lb or 10lb floro carb on spining and I have no prob when fishing the lake or deep water Idon't use a bait caster for smallmouth. Now if I am in shallow water fishing the weeds,docks,stumps I will go up to 30lb braid with 15 to 20lb floro or tie right to my bait it depends on water color. It depends on the tourny of what I decide to use, each Pro has their nitch. If you are just fun fishing and plan to release your fish then 65lb. test is not needed :wall:Catfish

• 5 weeks later...

Yep! 50lbs braid n 20lbs flouro leader on my casters... Helps get em out when fishing heavy slop or docks in the. Honestly, I haven't lost a bass yet due to line breakage only if they manage to shake the lure. The only time my line breaks is if a pike hits my plastic. For bass I find that braid with the flouro leader is the way to go... Now I only use mono for my ultralight spinning rods that I use for crappie. I even have 2lbs braid on some of my ice rods n it hasn't broken yet from rubbing on the edges of the hole. I also find it to give more sensativity

On another note: Has anyone ever tried nanofilament? I have it on one rod that I use for perch and I find that the casting ability is amazing my first time using it I got a couple of hookups on docks because it flew right off my spool like it was air.

• 2 months later...

The max I use around here( North east) is 50lb braid. Its helped pulled fish from some serious slop and pads. I've fished Florida lakes where at least 50lb braid was almost a must in order to bring the bass out of the milfoil. Even then, you might not them them out. Lately , Ive switched some of my smallie reels to 10lb superslick braid with flour leaders and have really liked the results-however, I dont't like braid on my dropshot rods. For some reason I missed too many hits on the braid dropshot-probably set the hook too early before the fish could take the bait bc the braid is so sensitive.

The max I use around here( North east) is 50lb braid. Its helped pulled fish from some serious slop and pads. I've fished Florida lakes where at least 50lb braid was almost a must in order to bring the bass out of the milfoil. Even then, you might not them them out. Lately , Ive switched some of my smallie reels to 10lb superslick braid with flour leaders and have really liked the results-however, I dont't like braid on my dropshot rods. For some reason I missed too many hits on the braid dropshot-probably set the hook too early before the fish could take the bait bc the braid is so sensitive.

with the braid its almost a disadvantage because you can feel the fish sniff the bait pretty much, if missed alot of fish due to me not letting the fish fully take the bait, but that will come in time, in my opinion i would still rather use braid since the hook set is much easier.

i stick to 20lb braid on most of my reels, i find i can fish for bass, steelhead, pike, carp, cats, trout and even salmon with it holds up pretty good, just have to match it with a properly weighted leader,

I understand the usage of heavier line for the pro's ....

I also agree that landing a fish quickly is very important to it's health.

I personally never have used more than 10lb mono when fishing for Bass (Anywhere)

I enjoy a medium/lighter line (personally)

Not being critical of others ... but could never understand why anyone uses 50 lb+ line to catch 4-5lb fish.

Just my thoughts.

I can say I have NEVER been in a situation in my whole life that required that type of usage. Never.

Thats just me however.

*I'm not talking about deep water fishing, West coast Sturgeon ... Just my regular Ontario situations.

- Not even for Musky on LSC have I used that weight of line.

Its not just to get the fish in quickly but These guys are fishing places like Falcon Lake that hold 18lb Bass in heavy vegitation Also if you see some of the rods they use they ar thicker than salt water rods lol. The other thing is that there getting paid to promote water gear there using from sponsors, so maybe there not selling alot of 65lb braid at the moment and need a quick boost in sales lol.

Thanks for the info folks and sorry I should have cleared up the issue with vegetation, the spot he was fishing was similar to the type of topography of a Lake erie shoreline, little vegetation, large to small rocks on bottom and no docks.

so I'm gonna go with this one......

QUOTE: but I think this one is pretty simple- he is a big guy and would rather 'muscle' a fish into the air by lifting it (more dramatic) than either of the other options (1. using a net or 2. bending over to grab the fish directly by the lower jaw). Ever seen him lay down on his back to grab a fish from the water??? Looks like quite a challenge....

Thanks for the info folks and sorry I should have cleared up the issue with vegetation, the spot he was fishing was similar to the type of topography of a Lake erie shoreline, little vegetation, large to small rocks on bottom and no docks.

so I'm gonna go with this one......

QUOTE: but I think this one is pretty simple- he is a big guy and would rather 'muscle' a fish into the air by lifting it (more dramatic) than either of the other options (1. using a net or 2. bending over to grab the fish directly by the lower jaw). Ever seen him lay down on his back to grab a fish from the water??? Looks like quite a challenge....

Imagine fishing with Rob Ford...

Imagine fishing with Rob Ford...

Through all his FAULTS ....

Rob Ford last summer (July 13) made the right decision and helped pass the FISHING INITUATIVE here in TORONTO.

Politics or NOT - I was impressed that he jumped aboard this bandwagon.

Never seen him fish so far (Other than at the Sportsman Show) ....

For an ISSUE that really meant the MOST to ME (And thousands of other fishermen in this great city) ... he did the right thing!

Through all his FAULTS ....

Rob Ford last summer (July 13) made the right decision and helped pass the FISHING INITUATIVE here in TORONTO.

Politics or NOT - I was impressed that he jumped aboard this bandwagon.

Never seen him fish so far (Other than at the Sportsman Show) ....

For an ISSUE that really meant the MOST to ME (And thousands of other fishermen in this great city) ... he did the right thing!

Im honestly a fan of the guy... anyone with his history and appearance that can remain mayor of toronto for so long is in my good books

• 5 weeks later...

Will say that you really need power to bring the big bass in, you give them a break and there is a good chance they are gone.

Just caught an aprox. 10 lb largemouth when in fla. larger than the pic. really hoofed him in, not much fun, other than the fact you caught one.

Hit another one, thought I'd play him, not a good idea just shook his head, bye charley.

I use a medium heavy spinning rod with 15lb nano braid with a 10lb fluorocarbon leader, it does the trick,

my bait caster has 50 lb braid with a 30 lb fluorocarbon leader, because I watch too much fishing tv

maybe I can use it for salmon, but you can bring a tree in with it,

Archived