Tips For New Lures

soccerjets

This christmas my rents got me live target top water frog, rapala flat rap, havok rocket craw and dark brown and green tubes. Any tips on how to fish these or have you had any luck with these lures? I will be mainly at gibson (near/around cement block). Thanks :)

Live target frogs or any of there lures are awesome!! They do come with directions on the box, tie them directly to the line I use a polomar knot they work great in heavy cover I suggest braid just for that reason, work them slow with a walk the dog retrieve, also if its the hollow body frog you will notice a plug on its bottom side, squeeze the frog and submerge till its full of water. It will sink slow, work it really slow subtle jigs, the action it gives is crazy and it works. The flap raps are good to bass/pike/wAlleye lure all around use. They'll all get you into fish, just figure out where and when to use them ex. Top water I find better in mornings n evenings, thicker cover. Just have to find the "pattern"

• 5 months later...

make sure you let the bass grab those live target frogs before you set the hook. if you react to the strike with your eyes and not by the weight on your rod you will likely pull the bait out of thier mouth. took me a while to figure this out because it is a very exciting way to fish and I tend to over react when you see that boil and splash.

• 7 months later...

Everything works at the right time in the right place. I would suggest looking up the bait on the interweb. Most times there are instructional vids or articles on the baits with timing and conditions. Look up crankbaits, topwater frogs etc.,

More to your question. Bass and pike are oppurtunistic feeders and will eat most anything...so yes, more than likely they will work if used in the right situation. If they are chasing minnows and busting on the top, topwaters are good. If they are slow and lethargic, sitting in the weeds, flip tubes. If fishing current, drift tubes and throw cranks. You will get it figured out in no time.

Archived