Low Ratio Baitcast Reel

topwaterjoe

Hi folks. I know it is still early in the year, but during the cold months I like to think ahead and daydream about greedy bass in warm water.

So during the off season, I have been setting some cash aside for a new baitcast reel for cranking. Looking for some suggestions for low ratio models. Thinking in the 5.x:1 neighborhood... Was looking at the Abu Garcia Revo Winch which has a 5.4:1 ratio and a solid looking centrifugal + magnetic braking system, but of course you pay through the nose for reels designed to cast in all conditions and wind directions. If there is something that can do the slow cranking speeds for in or around $80 to $150, with an adequate centrifugal break, I am all ears.

Unfortunately there's very slim pickings of low ratio reels in that price range. There's not much that I know of with 5:1 or 5.3:1 that are under the 200 mark. I think shimano might have one or two but I'm not sure.

Bump your budget up to 220 and you'll have all kinds of options and you won't be disappointed.

Unfortunately there's very slim pickings of low ratio reels in that price range. There's not much that I know of with 5:1 or 5.3:1 that are under the 200 mark. I think shimano might have one or two but I'm not sure.

Bump your budget up to 220 and you'll have all kinds of options and you won't be disappointed.

I was afraid of that. There are plenty of decent 6.4:1 and even 7:1 reels out there around the $100 - $120 mark, but looks like the slower reels are more specialized. In that case, I may go with the winch just because it has great specs, reviews and a dual brake system for $200.

You'll like that reel. I'd take a look at the chronarch 200e5 as well so you have something to compare it to. Both are around the same price.

I disagree with those who think there's nothing in a lower price point for low ratio reels. I have citica 200es that are all bought for 89 new that I just upgraded the spool bearings in with Boca orange seal and the reels perform amazing. Take a look at getting a used curado chronarch and doing a Boca bearing upgrade for 24 to 40 depending on the reel. The older model shimano reels are bullet proof and reliable. You don't have to spend 200 plus dollars to get good reels.

What kind of fishing are you doing? Casual day to day fishing or tournament fishing? That also has a big effect of your price range.

There's nothing wrong with buying expensive reels but I always like to get the most for my money. I have used both high and medium end reels an find with proper maintance and care they last just as long. If you can try and look used you might be surprised what you can get for 60 or 80 bucks.

For new reels There's the lews tournament mg 5.4:1 $129 lews speed spool same ratio $99. Okuma has a reel or two that are good as well. If you check out tacklewarehouse.com you can compare the reels and get specs as well as product videos from Icast.

Good luck with your search.

I disagree with those who think there's nothing in a lower price point for low ratio reels. I have citica 200es that are all bought for 89 new that I just upgraded the spool bearings in with Boca orange seal and the reels perform amazing. Take a look at getting a used curado chronarch and doing a Boca bearing upgrade for 24 to 40 depending on the reel. The older model shimano reels are bullet proof and reliable. You don't have to spend 200 plus dollars to get good reels. What kind of fishing are you doing? Casual day to day fishing or tournament fishing? That also has a big effect of your price range. There's nothing wrong with buying expensive reels but I always like to get the most for my money. I have used both high and medium end reels an find with proper maintance and care they last just as long. If you can try and look used you might be surprised what you can get for 60 or 80 bucks. For new reels There's the lews tournament mg 5.4:1 $129 lews speed spool same ratio $99. Okuma has a reel or two that are good as well. If you check out tacklewarehouse.com you can compare the reels and get specs as well as product videos from Icast. Good luck with your search.

I completely agree with you. Expensive gear is nice, but the thrifty angler knows how to hound a good deal. I am just a weekend angler, but I also like nice gear. Nothing wastes a weekend more than fighting bad gear. Casting gear is something I learned not to cheap-out on, but you are right, there are gems out there. One of my best purchases was a $60 Abu Silver Max. Casts well and has a decent drag.

Right on. Well if your willing to go to 150 the citica or curado are perfect reels. I use both for tourney fishing and have never had any issues. For the money the citica is the best. It's similar to the curado g almost identical and a little cheaper.

Trying to make up my mind:When you are not to sure on what to spend your cash on I always tell guys to go to the fishing shows. Sure it will cost you some cash to get in but what a better way to get the info that you are looking for. At the shows you have all the reps and Pro staff for all most every product that you are looking for.You all know who I pro staf for but I can't mention any products with out this post being deleated.So you will find every thing you need know before you spend your cash. If you send me a p/m I will give you some names to talk to at the show comming up at the end of this week,I think the Sportsman show runs from thurs to monday. Don't forget that they moved it back to the cne grounds where it use to be in the past. Rob McIntosh (aka Catfish )

P/s I will be there on sat not working but if you ask around the guy's will let you know if they know where i am and I will help you out .

Trying to make up my mind:When you are not to sure on what to spend your cash on I always tell guys to go to the fishing shows. Sure it will cost you some cash to get in but what a better way to get the info that you are looking for. At the shows you have all the reps and Pro staff for all most every product that you are looking for.You all know who I pro staf for but I can't mention any products with out this post being deleated.So you will find every thing you need know before you spend your cash. If you send me a p/m I will give you some names to talk to at the show comming up at the end of this week,I think the Sportsman show runs from thurs to monday. Don't forget that they moved it back to the cne grounds where it use to be in the past. Rob McIntosh (aka Catfish ) P/s I will be there on sat not working but if you ask around the guy's will let you know if they know where i am and I will help you out .

You'd think it'd be hard to make a decision when every prostaffer is telling you that their product is the best :P

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What kind of species are you cranking? I was thinking about switching to a slow retrieve reel, but I fish mostly smallies with cranks and they seem to be more aggressive when fighting and will run at the boat. The faster retrieve is nice to pick up line and control your fish. I also went to a cranking rod with better backbone. Even line type makes a difference, braid and mono/flouro play differently when fighting fish. Smallies have harder mouths than largies and even attack a lure differently than largies.

What you see on TV and in the mags about slow retrieve and glass rods is mostly for largemouths. Cranking for smallies is a different setup, in my opinion.

As far as baitcasting reels go, a littlle more money spent is less heartache in the end. Try and find a "previosly enjoyed" reel and save some money. What my esteemed colleague Joe forgot to mention is the Citica 200e reels he got at $89 was an awesome deal...those are $150 reels normally and the new Citica G series, pales in comparison (Japanese model vs. Chinese model)

My advice, find a good quality, used or new caster in a 6...and without sounding like a "D", reel slower...then you still have the speed to control fish. As a lefty, I have a had a hard time finding 5's in a lefty, so I've had to make do.

Just wondering, are all the new Citica's made in China?

Yep. Citica e-series was discontinued 2 years ago. The "e" and the "g" describe where they are made.

There are two types of Curado, the "g" and the "c". There is a noticeable difference in the quality and the parts used. The "e" series is a Japanese model.

Lews all the way. When I started using baitcast reels I went to quantum then shimano then someone handed me a lews. I said what he hen is this brand but after some research they are pioneers in the baitcast reel field. They went away for a few year but then came back stronger then ever. A low end lews reel 85 bucks a top end 145. I have a speed spool and although it has a good price point I will be upgrading to the tournament series reels due I the a t they are lighter and a bit stronger build.

I use a browning citori 5.2:1 $69.00 and a browning silaflex 6'6" med action rod $49.99. This combo has been awesome for me. The reel has a great simple braking system and is very smooth. Good drag and casts a mile. The rod is a glass rod with a parabolic action. I purchased this set up a couple of years ago and was hesitant to buy gear strictly for cranks. It performs as well or better then setups that cost 3X as much. I enjoy using it so much I've probably spent more or crankbaits just so I can use it. Throw some 12lb fluorocarbon on there and you're all set.

Lews if you can get one. Their line-up is superb. Even the "lower" spec reels. This is coming from a diehard high-end Shimano and Daiwa guy. Longevity is starting to be proven as well with the more modern line-up. I bought a lower end model to fill in until my elbow heals. I love it and will be buying more. You need not spend more than $150 to get a good reel from them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you considered a Daiwa ? lexa 100 or Tatula are nice reels and in the 100 - 150 price range. I have had the same problem finding low gear ratio in left hand retrieve too . I have the lexa 300 for musky seems to be a nice reel.

Brandon.

Archived