What Thread?

Tacklelogic

Hey all.

Hoping you guys can help out a newbie to fly tieing. I have started to tir my own but i seem to have problems finding the proper waxed thread. What do you guys use adn where can i get it online? After much trial and error, I now understand why i am having trouble with dubbing. The only thread I have been able to find is unithread 8/0. I also need teh proper pins for "bead heads".

Thanks.

The new synthetic threads available out there today don't really need the wax: they have plenty of "bite." Unithread in 6/0 or 8/0 is fine for most general use. If you really do need to wax your thread (makes dubbing easier), buy a piece of beeswax (a tube of "Burts Bees" lip balm will do the trick as its mostly wax), and run your thread across it a few times.

As for pins for bead heads, you'd be better off asking the jig-tyers, as I seldom use them.

I use 6/0 uni thread for all of my jigs and most of my streamers. 8/0 for nymphs, and dries. I will wax the thread myself usually only on dries as I find it helps repel water a bit better. Also I make sure to use superfine dryfly dubbing (a product my cousin introduced me to)as it repels water better then the normal dubbing. As your post stated you are only able to find 8/0 I wouldn't see it as a problem. Make sure as your tightenin your thread you tighten" up or down" and not side to side. not sure what the science is behine this but it works, prevent alot of snapped thread.Bead heads can be placed directly onto the hook depending on size and gap, can also be placed on hook by threading bead onto "straight pin" then tie pin to hook(I use this technique for jigs). The pins should be available at a michaels, fabric land or other places that sell fabrics or craft supplies

You don't mention where you live, but if you are near Hamilton Fishing World on Barton St. has a pretty decent thread selection.

Ok, so the way I see it is- uni thread is OK in the 8/0. Put some bees wax on the thread myself and this will help with my dubbing. As for push pins, I did pick up 2 different brands both, their heads are too small to hold a 1/8" bead. I guess i will have to do some mre searching. Thanks for the help guys.

Archived