Dropshot Line Sensitivity

krisbass13

Hey guys, im currently running 6lb P Line Cx Premium co-polymer with a ML rod for dropshot, and im wondering if i may be missing bites with copolymer line? I seem to feel bites fine when i get them but am i only feeling the real agressive fish? I have tried flurocarbon but gave up on it before i could catch a fish because the way it handles. Im willing to try braid to fluro/copolymer setup but does it really make the difference? And would it be worth bumping my line/leader up to 8lb during a tournament situation? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Kris

I run 10 lb braid, small barrel swivel and attach 8 lb fluoro (pick your flavour ) . hook is anywhere from 8-14 inches from swivel . braid definitely helps ....just loosen your drag a touch ...tag line for sinker should be around 2 feet or so, so you can adjust your sinker accordingly to depth etc.....

I use 5# micro braid and only a flouro leader sometimes. When I do, it's usually 6# flouro leader and drop line. The braid definately makes a difference especially in deeper water.

Yes Fluro carbon is best on a drop shot as it is a finesse set up. 2 questions in regards to your current set up 1) is the tip fast or extra fast? I prefer extra fast on the drop shot as it is a vertical presentation I want a soft tip to see even the slightest bumps. Most 5+ pound bass I have caught just slightly out the presentation in their mouth which is where a faster tip can help. Secondly have you tried the super slick line as opposed to CX. Super slick has annual on base in it so you feel the softest of bites. I have used both straight braid and the super slick and have let others try both and every time it's the super slick that gets the most fish.

Use a reel hook set, not a bass in the weeds hook set! When you feel a fish, start reeling as you drop your rod down and just lean back on em, don't slam it. Like BMJ said, it's all about drag after that.

Use a reel hook set, not a bass in the weeds hook set! When you feel a fish, start reeling as you drop your rod down and just lean back on me, don't slam it. Like BMJ said, it's all about drag after that.

Lol thats my problem, i get way to excited so i slam the hook home and thats why i set my drag really loose because it compensates for my bad technique!

Then you definitely want to use a leader on braid, it has a bit more give. You can use different leaders to suit conditions. I prefer a 2 to 5 leader...clearer water, longer leader. Fish aren't to gun shy with a heavy leader, but a better quality flouro becomes less visible in clear water. I may use anything from 4-12lb test. Premium hooks are a must. I like Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gaps, size depends on the size of your bait. Very little effort is needed to pin a fish.

Work on the hookset, it will get you more fish.

2/O mosquito hooks by owner. FABULOUS. To clear the air I find the VMC drop shot hooks to be terrible on the hook set. I have even broken a couple ob the swivel part.

Fished erie today in my new kayak managed 3 bass on the dropshot rig lost 2 to breakoffs i run 30 lb braid to a 10lb flouro leader vanish. The vanish seems to be breakin alot on me latelty could it be the line ?

Yeah it is up there in age any recomendations on good line to buy

Berkley vanish is terrible. I've tried every knot known to man with that stuff and I still get breakoffs. Almost anything will be a step up from vanish. Even staying with berkley, their 100% flourocarbon is good with the gold label. I use vicious mostly but others like gamma, stren, etc are also good. You will pay a bit more but think of how long a 25 yard spool of true leader material will last. Well worth it.

Vanish is pooh, I have to agree with Fishkid!

Part of the problem is when you dropshot on Erie or the river, the zebra mussels crush your line.

I like Suffix and Seagar for flouro leaders.

Remember to adjust your drag accordingly. Smallmouth are tough fighters and braid doesn't have any give. You should hear the drag pulling when you set the hook on a fish. This will help.

Personally I use 12# P Line Flurocarbon for my drop shot but I have gone down to as low as 8# and still do fine depends in depth and water clarity. Always remember though the bass is hitting the knot by the hook so always make sure to check for abrasions in your line and if there is fraying change it. Would hate to lose a monster because of laziness

Picked up suffix invisline today tossed the vanish headin out tonight see how it goes thanks guys

well went out tonight in my kayak same spot 5 bass no breaks , had to be the doo-doo vanish , really like the suffix seems very durable all bass caught on the drop shot wacky rigged senko

Good deal! Glad the line switch worked for ya. But you do realize that now you can blame only yourself for lost fish.... lol.

Archived