What To Do On Bass Opener?

charlieD

Already trying to plan. Got 2 picks to choose from. 1. In my Kayak on Erie but havent decided where or 2. on the Grand River float fishing out in the middle for everything. Dont have a boat or know anyone with a boat so these are the only 2 options I could think of.

Go shallow in Erie, 3-9'. Fish shoals, creek mouths, marina entries and sheltered bays. The big female smallies will be coming off beds and will be super aggressive. Jerks, cranks and spinner/spinner baits, then have a senko or weightless (or super light) texas rigged tube for those missed fish...fish fast, but don't move to far. Once they stop hitting one bait, switch to another. Chances are they will be suspended and cruising, so don't bother dragging alot of baits on bottom. You will not regret it one bit. You will be hitting a 3.5lb average with a definite chance of 4's, 5's and 6's. If you find fish stay on them, you could potentially have a 40 fish day.

Grand isn't bad, but the numbers and size aren't there. If you do fish the Grand, I personally like the Brantford dam and that stretch, it might be a tough stretch to navigate if the water is low. You should get smallies and largies. There are some cool places to fish in that stretch. Clear water, but shallow. You will get 2lbers as a high, with lots of little guys. Spinners, small senkos and small jerks and topwaters.

I have spent time on both bodies of water and right now, Erie will give up the most trophies.

New to bass fishing the grand, would anyone be able to tell me where is a good spot to launch my boat?

Bean park in Paris to brant park if just a canoe or yak. Its about an 8 hour trip depending on how much fishing you do along the way. Not suitable for motor boats though.Theres some big bass in the grand if you know where to find them.

What part of the grand? Take the yak out in the river. Paris to brantford great fishing.

Just down stream from Caledonia, so cant use kayak. Usually just wade out and float fish with worms. Haha

Go shallow in Erie, 3-9'. Fish shoals, creek mouths, marina entries and sheltered bays. The big female smallies will be coming off beds and will be super aggressive. Jerks, cranks and spinner/spinner baits, then have a senko or weightless (or super light) texas rigged tube for those missed fish...fish fast, but don't move to far. Once they stop hitting one bait, switch to another. Chances are they will be suspended and cruising, so don't bother dragging alot of baits on bottom. You will not regret it one bit. You will be hitting a 3.5lb average with a definite chance of 4's, 5's and 6's. If you find fish stay on them, you could potentially have a 40 fish day.

Grand isn't bad, but the numbers and size aren't there. If you do fish the Grand, I personally like the Brantford dam and that stretch, it might be a tough stretch to navigate if the water is low. You should get smallies and largies. There are some cool places to fish in that stretch. Clear water, but shallow. You will get 2lbers as a high, with lots of little guys. Spinners, small senkos and small jerks and topwaters.

I have spent time on both bodies of water and right now, Erie will give up the most trophies.

I was thinking Erie mostly. Dont have anything to check depths as I just have my Kayak. I will lookinto someof the baits you suggested but dont want to spend a fortune. Haha. Pretty much all I have is tube jigs right now but it might be to weedy for them.

I was thinking Erie mostly. Dont have anything to check depths as I just have my Kayak. I will lookinto someof the baits you suggested but dont want to spend a fortune. Haha. Pretty much all I have is tube jigs right now but it might be to weedy for them.

Tube jig is all you will need.... You will have a blast!

Tube jigs will work, but just texas rig them on a weighted, #4/0 EWG offset hook or if you have a 1/8th oz jig head, use that. You want a slow fall so the bait stays in the strike zone longer. Invest in a 3-3 1/2" jerkbait (or two - pike really like them), a large Blue Fox Minnow spinner - #3-#4 size Silver blade and Black or Blue body, make sure it has a dressed hook. Get some stick worms, like a Senko or generic brand in watermelon, smoke, white and dark green/brown or smoke (you can buy bulk soft plastics at most tackle shops) and some #4/0 EWG Hooks, same as for the tubes. There are lots of inexpensive choices and you should be able to get most of that for $25-30...checked the "CLASSIFIEDS" on the forum or Kijiji for some used lures. Trust me, it will be money well spent. If you are using braid, use a 10lb flouro/mono leader; the fish aren't going to be too line shy, but Erie is super clear and you can see braid a mile away. Long casts catch more fish in Erie. Use natural colours too...it's so clear, they work best. Minnow and perch colours, in silvers, whites, light purples or even ghost colours. If you have questions, let me know.

Tight Lines

Im taking my yak out on Dils Lake part of chippewa creek conservation for some heavy cover bass to start off the season right!

I may do the same. I fished quite a few times there last year and got 2 pigs and a few smaller ones. You fish frogs? I did well hopping it and letting it sit in 'clear spots' betweeen lilys for up to a minute without moving it.

Since zone 20 is open 3rd sat in June, I might hit the niagara that weekend, hopefully will have a light weight switch rod by then.

I may do the same. I fished quite a few times there last year and got 2 pigs and a few smaller ones. You fish frogs? I did well hopping it and letting it sit in 'clear spots' betweeen lilys for up to a minute without moving it.

Since zone 20 is open 3rd sat in June, I might hit the niagara that weekend, hopefully will have a light weight switch rod by then.

Yes frogs and t rigs are the way to go on Dils lake even on a sunny day, but you must be persistent. Hopefully the water color will be a bit nicer this year as last year it was pretty murky but a 7" powerworm in a dark color will slay them in the thick stuff. Might try targeting the weed lines with a swim jig or chatter bait this year, definitely could hold some monsters. But now after reading this forum, I think I may have to get out on erie! Anyone know of a good kayak accesible spot that I can test my luck with some smallies on opener? Just outside of sugarloaf or anywhere near fort Erie?

Yes frogs and t rigs are the way to go on Dils lake even on a sunny day, but you must be persistent. Hopefully the water color will be a bit nicer this year as last year it was pretty murky but a 7" powerworm in a dark color will slay them in the thick stuff. Might try targeting the weed lines with a swim jig or chatter bait this year, definitely could hold some monsters. But now after reading this forum, I think I may have to get out on erie! Anyone know of a good kayak accesible spot that I can test my luck with some smallies on opener? Just outside of sugarloaf or anywhere near fort Erie?

Point Abino Rd, just after Erie there is a small boat launch before the marinas. Free parking but the ramp is in poor condition but great for kayakers to launch. Most public areas will have access.

Tube jigs will work, but just texas rig them on a weighted, #4/0 EWG offset hook or if you have a 1/8th oz jig head, use that. You want a slow fall so the bait stays in the strike zone longer. Invest in a 3-3 1/2" jerkbait (or two - pike really like them), a large Blue Fox Minnow spinner - #3-#4 size Silver blade and Black or Blue body, make sure it has a dressed hook. Get some stick worms, like a Senko or generic brand in watermelon, smoke, white and dark green/brown or smoke (you can buy bulk soft plastics at most tackle shops) and some #4/0 EWG Hooks, same as for the tubes. There are lots of inexpensive choices and you should be able to get most of that for $25-30...checked the "CLASSIFIEDS" on the forum or Kijiji for some used lures. Trust me, it will be money well spent. If you are using braid, use a 10lb flouro/mono leader; the fish aren't going to be too line shy, but Erie is super clear and you can see braid a mile away. Long casts catch more fish in Erie. Use natural colours too...it's so clear, they work best. Minnow and perch colours, in silvers, whites, light purples or even ghost colours. If you have questions, let me know.

Tight Lines

Ya I will need help, you posted alot of stuff I have no idea about. Use to using tube jigs, works and minnows. Haha. Might have to get you to buy it all and then pay you. Haha. Just kidding

Bass is open 3rd saturday on the Niagara? May have to do that as Saturdays are one of my only days. Go drifting in my Yak and bottom bounce tube jigs.

Ya I will need help, you posted alot of stuff I have no idea about. Use to using tube jigs, works and minnows. Haha. Might have to get you to buy it all and then pay you. Haha. Just kidding

Bass is open 3rd saturday on the Niagara? May have to do that as Saturdays are one of my only days. Go drifting in my Yak and bottom bounce tube jigs.

3rd Saturday in June is for Lower Niagara and Lake Ontario. 4th SAT is Erie/Upper.

Research those lures and hit up the local B&T Shop, they will know what to give you. PM me, happy to help.

• 4 weeks later...

Its an offset wide gap hook. Good for jigs and texas rigged worms and weedless. Google it and youll recognize them.

Just down stream from Caledonia, so cant use kayak. Usually just wade out and float fish with worms. Haha

Don't overlook this section of the river. You could spend a day going from Caledonia to Cayuga in your kayak, and trust me you'll nail fish. I fish this section often and there is plenty of strong and healthy smallies and some good size walleye as well. My father goes down this stretch often but doesn't stop to fish, instead he just throws about 30 yards of line behind him with a 3" floating rapala and paddles down the river. You wont be dissapointed.

Don't overlook this section of the river. You could spend a day going from Caledonia to Cayuga in your kayak, and trust me you'll nail fish. I fish this section often and there is plenty of strong and healthy smallies and some good size walleye as well. My father goes down this stretch often but doesn't stop to fish, instead he just throws about 30 yards of line behind him with a 3" floating rapala and paddles down the river. You wont be dissapointed.

Just curious about that section. I drift the bean park to brant park often and its pretty much an 8 hr trip depending on how much stopping and fishing along the way. I have a fishcat pontoon and an electric trolling motor. Is there any put in / takeout spots down there that would be suited to a day trip drifting? Would like to try that section.

Can't wait for this weekend. Looks like I'm heading up to sparrow lake for bass opener. (Been going to sparrow for 20yrs). Usually pretty good fishing.

Was going to drift the grand but looks like the weather man has blown it yet again...was supposed to be sun/cloud now its 90% rain/wind....go figure, nice first day back to work though...uggg.

Archived