Sturgeon Lake Upcoming Tournament

krisbass13

Hey guys I have a pretty big highschool Bassmasters tournament coming up July 12 on Sturgeon lake! I've never fished this lake before so its a huge challenge to figure out where I'll catch the fish and on what. So far I basically know its a very weedy lake with lots of shallow cover. We are launching out of the Lindsay river/scugog river... At this time of the year, where will I get the most consistent bite and where may I find a kicker? My partner is pretty adamant on staying shallow all day (which i understand will get bites) but I can't help but feel like giving it a go on secondary points and deeper weedlines (10-15ft) with powershot and crankbaits... Honestly any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! Kris :) Text at 2896680683 if you've got any "secret" tips lol

Frogs most of the morning. Then use black flipping jig/black trailer for your kicker. No deeper than 10fow. Lots of stumps to play with.

90% of all bass tournaments are won in the bobcageon end of the lake.

Good luck and cut your hooks off the frog for pre fish!

Frogs most of the morning. Then use black flipping jig/black trailer for your kicker. No deeper than 10fow. Lots of stumps to play with.

90% of all bass tournaments are won in the bobcageon end of the lake.

Good luck and cut your hooks off the frog for pre fish!

Do you think its worth making a run from the Lindsay up to Bobcaygeon? Should I fish the docks in between?

Do you think its worth making a run from the Lindsay up to Bobcaygeon? Should I fish the docks in between?

Yes. If your hitting docks do it 1st, or they will get hit by the rest of the field.

Yes. If your hitting docks do it 1st, or they will get hit by the rest of the field.

okay cool will do there is plenty of docks between lindsay and bobcaygeon but shouldnt be too much pressure its only about a 12 boat tournament although the winner does qualify for team ontario in the fall and highschool nationals! Should i hit topwater frogs around stumps before fishing docks? I feel like docks are more of a mid day thing considering they provide so much shade...if youd prefer to do this over text feel free to text me at 2896680683!

• 3 weeks later...

How'd tourney go?

It definitely wasnt a breeze fishing without the chance for prefish but my partner and i had a blast! Winning bag was 15lbs... We got 7lbs ahaha never the less, they were the local guys and had a week of prefish. Our boater was also inexperieneced on that lake. They had a whole bag of largies, we had smallies cause we couldnt grind out the largies for the life of us! Put us in 4th place but st catharines teams came 4th,3rd, and 2nd so that was quite the accomplishment!

Not bad at all. 15lb puts you in the $ almost

everytime in the kawarthas. I've never even caught a smallie on sturgeon! Lol

Pre fish is a must up there and even then you are rolling the dice. I had 2 tourneys on a sat sun last year(tri-lakes) caught 19lb sat tourney then 8lb Sunday lol.

Not bad at all. 15lb puts you in the $ almost

everytime in the kawarthas. I've never even caught a smallie on sturgeon! Lol

Pre fish is a must up there and even then you are rolling the dice. I had 2 tourneys on a sat sun last year(tri-lakes) caught 19lb sat tourney then 8lb Sunday lol.

No doubt eh kawarthas has some huge largies! We worked hard for our limit and got it so it was a real accomplishment for us. Definitely got to figure out prefish arrangments as i dont have my own bass boat but will ask my boater next time if hed want to arrange that! Got another qualifier on long point in less than a month and hope to place a bit better in that one!:)

Archived