Yakking For Smallies!

yakfish

This board doesn't get much action by the look of things. Got out a couple day last week in the wind to try some smallie fishing from the kayak. Had a great time by myself on the water and caught a few fish too. I found a spot close to home that I've fished for the first time this spring and a few times since without any success at all. I had alway seen fish and had a few short strikes the few time out there but no hook ups. This time I found a good number of very nice looking bass. In a rather small area. I tried throwing everything I could think of at them with barely a sniff. After trying for about an hour or so I gave up on that spot and moved on in search of hungry fish. I came to some "pikey looking" water and started throwing a spoon. After just a couple cast I got a hit and fought a pike to the side of the yak but realized I forgot my net in my garage at home. As I reached down to get a hold on his jawbone he shook his head "No" and was gone. After a while longer I went back to the spot where I had seen all the bass to give it another go. Then it hit me... In fishing with braid, the water is crystal clear and I have a spool of flourocarbon in my bag. So I tie on a 3 foot leader and a strike king coffe tube and start catching fish! I caught six smallies ranging from 13-18 inches in about an hour and a half. Then it started getting dark and it was time to head for home. It was a tough paddleinto the wind and what would have normally taken 5-10 minutes took about A half hour.

Next day is Friday. I'm off work so I go back out again. I head to the same spot and I see the bass still swiming around right were I'd left them. I still have my tube tied on from the previous outing. Second cast... Fish on! Next cast...Fish on! Third cast... Fish on! Three casts in a row and three nice smallies. All from the same run of moving water. Over the next couple hours the bite died down but I managed 6-7 bass in about 4 hours.

It was a greatcouple days with some good action from a location where I knew the fish were located, but had been skunked all year. It was very rewarding to finally figure them out And out together and effective pattern! Pics coming soon.

It's been a slow summer for me when I went bass fishing at my usual spots . The water is cooling down and the fish should start hitting better (hopefully) . I have been doing well catching ( missing) carp lately and noticed lots of bait fish in some spots . It looks like the fish have an abundant supply of minnows to feed on to fatten up for the winter . Good to see you had a productive fun filled day . :Gonefishing:

I've noticed on many different outlets that people have really stopped posting reports. I still like to post a report (which can be done without giving away specific locations).

I've noticed on many different outlets that people have really stopped posting reports. I still like to post a report (which can be done without giving away specific locations).

Ditto yakfish......I don't post backgrounds anymore .....screwed myself out of a few spots when others took over and left their trash there . And I have posted pictures which takes time to do , only to get one or two replies sometimes .....which I can understand when there are a half dozen fish categories ( perch, eyes, salmon , bass , carp , trout ), etc. I caught 4 carp 2 days ago , got some shots yes , but who really wants to see pictures of average carp ? If I get one over my pb .....(30 lbs) , I'll post it ! :)

Congrats on your fine day of fishing ! I like your yak man ! I know I would go nuts if I bought one & my wife would get a little lonely ..... :rolleyes:

edit......forgot to say , nice shot of the heron ....looks like a juv. black crowned night heron .

Hey those are some nice bass yakfish. Looks like one of my "secret" spots to fish as well (maybe not though), although usually fish it from shore. My bass season has been real slow (only one bass this year to be honest). Hoping it picks up with the cooler weather. If it does I will post some pics.

I guessing it's not you're secret spot...it would be a very difficult spot to fish effectively from shore. Funny part is, every time I've been on this body of water I've seen boaters go right past this spot without a look. I've actually never seen another person fish it. Though, I've been there less than a dozen times now.

There were a couple monster carp swimming around in there too smerch! I threw a small twistail grub at one to see if by chance he might swim by and suck it up. I was thinking I might have to bring some corn with me next time!

That juvenile black crowned night heron is a treat. Keep your eyes peeled in that area. Theyre social birds and there will be adults nearby in those trees. Blue back,white / grey underside. Yellow legs and red eyes. Very cool bird. Actually lots of them around but they hide during the day. Any time I'm night fishing one of my "secret " spots I see them pass by on their way to feeding grounds. Their call sounds like a rough high pitched "WOK"

Archived