Any Czech nymphers?

DaveC

Just started this recently on a 3 wt. Wondering what lines are being used? Was looking at Rios, new FIPS approved czech nymphing line and wondering if anyone uses this? I think this style of fishing when done right with the right equipment is very productive and a great feel for the movements of the fly. Some people seem to frown on it,,,,for whatever reason is beyond me. One thing I do know is it works very well with multiple double header hook ups for me using multiple flies.

I have spent a lot of time dedicated to the technique this season but have not bought a specific line, I did buy a Fenwick Aetos 4 weight 10 foot rod for this purpose though. Currently using Rio gold intouch line.

So I will also be interested in hearing any feedback on specific lines.

I should also mention I have been using a Tenkara rod for Czech nymphing, it is a great tool for this style of fishing. I have had good success with it. The rod is 12 feet long I use 12 feet of 3.5 level line ( high visible orange ) , and 5-6 feet of fluorocarbon tippet 6x or 5x.

On 2016-08-23 at 6:30 PM, Bow Man said:

I have spent a lot of time dedicated to the technique this season but have not bought a specific line, I did buy a Fenwick Aetos 4 weight 10 foot rod for this purpose though. Currently using Rio gold intouch line.

So I will also be interested in hearing any feedback on specific lines.

I just ordered the Rio euro nymph line for my 3wt. I do have some nice nymphing llines with adjustable indicators that a friend of mine ( Canadian medalist ) in competetive fishing from Quebec has sent me to test out. If you go on facebook and search  " FLY fishing for everybody " he has a video posted on it. I cant seem to locate the video otherwise. The guy knows river nymphing and does really well competitively. I have learned sooooooooo much off of these guys. I dont know about you, but I have a huge thirst to learn and try new things...so much so, that the float rods are not getting much use anymore...lol. I have 2 lines on the way...one is the Rio, and the other is Airflos nymphing line that Im getting for free because its on back order. So my supplier said try out the Rio for now, and the airflo will be a few weeks, Ill get it free.

I find that I can actually feel contact with the fly and the rocks. I had a day on the grand with a friend using his rod and setup in a small run that it was a fish on every pass or every second pass. Nothing huge, other than a couple 14 ish fish but so much fun on the 3 wt. I have totally givin up on barbed hooks and find I rarely loose a fish because of it, and so much easier to keep fish in the water and take the hook out so easy. I cant wait to try this out on the upper grand and credit for resident trout.

One thing you might be missing using the Rio Gold, which is a great line I have it on my 5 wt is that the nymph line has no stretch for that very delicate feel. I tried putting some line on my rod....but no comparison in sensitivity to my buddies rod that has the proper line and setup. With his you can feel size 14 flies ticking the rocks....now that is a high end loop rod as well, but Im hoping I can get something simalar in sensitivity once I get setup.

Thanks Dave great info there and I will check out the facebook link. Please keep me informed on the Airflos, I have never tried any of there lines so will be VERY interested in a report form you.

What is the difference between the Airflo and Rio nymphing line? What rod are you currently using for your 3 weight nympher? ( nympher.... don't even know if that is a word but sounds dirty! :) ).

tightlines

Im using a 11' 3wt syndicate. Its a rod built by in knoxville Tennesee. It is supplied to guides and competion anglers at a reduced price over the listed price. It lists for $399us. If your interested in thier products i can pm you some info that would allow you to get my prices as well. My cost on it was $162. They cater to groups and competition anglers. Really nice products even with the exchange and shipping. 

• 11 months later...

I see I'm a year late but I'm a new member and I just, just started to euro nymph so when I saw this post I had to through in my thoughts. I have been fly fishing for over 20 years, mostly using my 4wt for trout and I do a lot of spey fishing for steelhead and trout spey for bass. Anyway, from what I understand, you don't need a specialty fly line to euro nymph, although I see several level lines on the market for this style of fly fishing, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure why you would spend the money on it when you don't even cast the fly line.  I believe you need is a specific type of leader.  I just bought the Rio Nymph leader as it came with the sighter built into the leader. I attached 15' of 20lb mono to my trout fly line, then I attached the leader to the mono, then I tied on 5X tippet to the tippet ring. I also just bought a Greys Stremflex 3wt, this rod was made for the intended purpose of euro nymphing.  So last weekend I thought I would give this a go, wow this isn't as easy as I thought it would be, my casting sucks but like Bow Man, I'm totally fixated with this as I can see how productive it can be.  I wouldn't mind getting into to some competitions later on as well.  I'm really looking forward to practicing more. I do have one question, where can I buy heavier nymphs (tungsten), I'm thinking that using a heavier nymph as my point fly would help my casting issue. 

Hey Yolo, welcome. I do a fair amount of competitive fly fishing all over southwestern Ontario. River, Lake from the bank, lake from the boat. If your interested PM me and I can give you more info on it. You are correct in that you don't require a nymphing line. I learned that the hard way...lol. I do however have a ver nice 2 wt Maxia nymph rod and its amazing the sensitivity of a quality rod. Tungsten beads are a must for Czech nymphing in order to maintain contact with your fliy or flies. Very productive method. Casting, well that takes practice since your not really casting...your flicking your line in the direction you want to go. Unlike fly fishing your casting the line...Czech nymphing is not casting really...more directly fishing at your feet...however you can get some decent short cast with practice. Our group only has one competition left this year on the Thames river London. But shoot me your info and I can hook you up with our group. We have some really good European comp anglers, and also some of the Top Canadian anglers that fish internationally we compete with as well. I came in a green horn, 2 years ago and Ive picked it up pretty good. I have a individual 3rd seasonal trophy, a seasonal team 3rd, and the last comp a team 3rd on the grand river. So I'm learning...and with much thanks to those guys who have shared their skills with me...I love fishing comp. It makes everyone better anglers and great learning experiences. We are always looking for new guys to join the club...you wont be disappointed.

• 9 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, Dboifario said:

Check out something called the mono rig for chechz nymphing. On trout hunter. It’s awesome for this style of fishing. Use all the time 

That is all i run, no fly line at all, just backing to mono... 

Sorry for the lengthy delay as I haven't checked this forum out for a while.  I've dedicated a conciderable amount of time to short and long line nymphing.  wow I'm addicted and can say this is because it's so effective. When I say addictive, I mean you forget time and wonder why your arm is sore 5 hours later but the 5 hours passed by like it was an hour.   This is not your typical fly fishing.  I love casting a nice tight loop but this is amazing.  If you have the heart to be stealthy, you will be very very surprised at the size and the amount of fish you are able to catch and release that are so close to you.   I'm a practice makes perfect kinda person and I'm totally addictated, the rod makes a big difference and the type of sighter line helps big time, tungsten head nymphs rule this world and angling your line is super important as you follow the depth of the flow.   I love catching fish and this surly is a productive means of doing it.  

Archived