TICKS!

Yeah, not good!  I had one crawl up my pant leg last week standing on a buddy's lawn. Hopefully they aren't bad at my usual turkey hunting spot!

1 hour ago, theoutdoorguy said:

when turkey hunting what can you do to have a fighting chance against them

The best defense for hunters is spraying your  clothes/gear with a permethrin spray.

Can't buy it for human use in Canada, but TSC stores sells a spray called Ultra Shield for horses that contains the same % of permethrin as sold in the U.S. for human use.

I sprayed all my outer camo clothes & gear with it last year before the turkey season, and no ticks.

Did it again in the fall before archery deer season started - no ticks.

Just had all the gear hung out last week and doused everything to get ready for this spring's hunt.

Supposed to last for 7-9 weeks before you need to reapply.

I found a spray at the tsc store online and it contains this  Contains 0.05 % Pyrethrin, 0.5 % Piperonyl Butoxide & 0.1 % Permethrin

is that friendly for humane use and what did your ultra spry have

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎17 at 9:31 PM, genec said:

The best defense for hunters is spraying your  clothes/gear with a permethrin spray.

Can't buy it for human use in Canada, but TSC stores sells a spray called Ultra Shield for horses that contains the same % of permethrin as sold in the U.S. for human use.

I sprayed all my outer camo clothes & gear with it last year before the turkey season, and no ticks.

Did it again in the fall before archery deer season started - no ticks.

Just had all the gear hung out last week and doused everything to get ready for this spring's hunt.

Supposed to last for 7-9 weeks before you need to reapply.

Do not spray yourself or pets with permethrin products...it is very toxic when applied to the skin!!!!!

Apply to clothing in a well ventilated area and do not put clothing on until completely dry....then it is safe to wear.

The first time I tried it was after turkey hunting when I had lots of ticks. After the spray dried I shook the clothing out and two dead ticks fell out of a pocket.

Never had a tick on me after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/4/2017 at 11:54 AM, mooseslayer said:

Damn...out twice for turkey and no ticks and go golfing yesterday and wake up to find one latched onto my neck. I hate those things.

Here it is May 1  2019 and the ticks are bad already .....

Here is another story in today's paper . This young lady is also going to Florida for treatment .

WHERE IS OUR MEDICAL SYSTEM ON THIS ??????  If we can't help these victims medically,  they should have some OHIP coverage at least !!!

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/living-story/9332435-ticks-gaining-ground-says-niagara-health-official/

Been out 4 rimes turkey hunting so far, and unfortunately no turkey yet.

however, no ticks on me either, so the Ultra Shield on my outer clothing and gear is working!!

I find this story "intriguing" . (Standard today)

Some people would like to move to the country ....buy some  property & build a nice new house . Then they go for walks , and to their horror they see WEEDS , unkempt fields ,etc that belong to the farmers .  So , now they want a bylaw to force those farmer to keep the tall grass cut short to keep the ticks from getting on Fido when they walk the dogs . ?

...a quote from the story......

"Rural residents are often attracted to the rural idyll of the countryside expecting pastoral or bucolic landscapes only to be met with the negative impacts of allergies and intrusion of weeds that create a perception of unsightly appearance," staff reported.

Maybe the farmers would be better off selling their land to developers who would make the landscape look like our city subdivisions .....

...the rest of the story ...

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9341944-cut-the-grass-notl-considers-short-lawn-buffer-on-agricultural-properties/

We have a heavy tick infestation along the 12 Mile Creek valley , with houses at the top . I'm sure the ticks would go for any dogs walked in the grass there , but

nothing can be done except keep Fido out of the weeds , or spray heavily with insecticides /weed killer .

Is there any type of spray that's safe to use on dogs?

I've got a German shepherd cross so it's going to be hard to see them on him.

I have been spraying Angel, my malinois with apple cider vinegar cut 30% with water. 

Spray her legs and underside, tail, and cover her eyes and quick spray at the head, they love exploring, and only had two ticks on her in about 6 years.

She got those two, because I forgot to sprayer her one day.

I also spray the bottom of my pants and shoes.

Just a quick spray, not wet.

• 6 months later...

Another sad story in today's paper (  Nov.13 , 2019) ...a grade 3 teacher who was tested here but came back negative . As it got worse she was tested in the USA & came back positive for Lymes !!  She takes 80 pills a day now to deal with many effects from Lymes . The sad part is our health system isn't capable of a proper test , then won't pay for her treatment ......something really wrong here ....We have a big problem with ticks & our government turns it's back on us .

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9701837-battle-with-lyme-disease-an-education-for-st-catharines-grade-3-teacher/

Archived