Attacked by a Muskie

Jim K

A Niagara River muskie had enough of our underwater paparazzi act and takes a run at me. He didn't bite. People always asked me If I was concerned about a muskie attacking me. I would tell them I didn't care as long as I got it on film. I got the shot.

Excellent video as always Jim. Thanks for sharing it !

Great video! Your explanation of the event prior to it happening was excellent! Replaying at half speed showed how subtle the 'posturing' of the fish was! That fish was just telling you to give it some space. At least that's the way I would describe it. I'm sure with all the years you have been diving you were thrilled to have the interaction with it. I would have been as well. Thanks for providing the video, and your very descriptive analogy of the event! Just excellent.

thank you guys. I hope to string together a multi species video for you soon. Of course, with the weather, underwater visibility, and walleye fishing being as good as it has been, I've been spending a lot of my free time on the water and under it. 

As far as that muskie goes, I never thought it would bump me. I wasn't really pressing it, as it was off to the left of me. He had plenty of room to move, not like it was backed against a rock pile or anything. I had pretty much come to a complete stop at a fair distance from it. The fish seemed to be by itself, (they are bolder when in pairs and groups) it didn't display any real aggressive signs at the start. I look for body language in a musky like you might in an unchained dog. I read curious as it started moving towards me. I don't think it decided to bump me until it was within 2 feet of me. Then it got that look in it's eyes. And yes, floatman, I'm glad it happened, he barely bumped me. That said, if it was world cup soccer, I guess I'd have to flop around on the river bottom like I got shot or something. 

On 7/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, Jim K said:

That said, if it was world cup soccer, I guess I'd have to flop around on the river bottom like I got shot or something. 

lol you've got it on point there Jim.

Getting ready to continue working and somehow watch the Croatia England match.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Archived