A good day in the woods

Too much work and inclement weather was making me cranky so when yesterday was open and the weather acceptable I proceeded to do one of my favorite type of hunt.......squirrels with a .22 rifle!!

Sneakin' and peekin' thru the bush is great practice for other kinds of hunting and the challenge of hitting a target as small as a squirrel at ranges up to 50 yards can be a problem ...this ain't bench rest shooting. Especially like yesterday where the wind was making the little buggers a tad skittish.

You always see a lot more squirrels than you get a shot at - you probably get a shot at a fifth of the squirrels you see. They keep moving ( you have a rifle). They are up in the tree (you have a rifle). They are too close...a couple of tree rats snuck up from behind and surprised me at arms length (you have a scoped rifle).  Yesterday was that...I probably saw over thirty squirrels.

But there were a number of slow witted, blind and deaf tree rats that gave me opportunities for a shot. The gods were smilin' on me yesterday....5 shots .....5 squirrels and a limit. The downer was that I had to quit when I was hot.

414308873.jpg

Lottery ticket store here I come. Of course, the lottery gods are different than the hunting gods....way worse.

Daily limit 5 possession limit 10

2 squirrel will feed the wife and I

Cut the squirrels into 4 legs, rib cage and lower back sections.

Put into a pot of water with garlic powder, salt, pepper and sage...boil until meat almost ready to fall off bones. Remove the squirrel pieces and douse in beaten egg. Dredge the pieces in a bag of crushed original Ritz crackers until fully coated. After just enough time in a well margarine frying pan to brown the cracker coating, serve with buttery mashed potatoes and corn.

I usually have to bring a big stick to the table to make sure the wife lets me have my fair share.

There's nothing better than hunting squirrels, rabbits or partridge with an accurate .22 rifle. It really tests your equipment and sharpens your skills. If you can connect with a head shot on a squirrel at 50 yds, then shooting at a moose at 200 is almost like hitting the side of a barn.

That's awesome i haven't hunted squirrels in years many years lol i forgot just how good they are i used to just cut out the hind legs made for a good meal 

cograts on your hunt coyotehunter

I remember eating  squirrel ....had a "nutty" flavour   ......

My favourite local 4 legged  game was jack rabbit ..lots of meat and made a great stew ! 

Archived