Archery moose hunt and Big buck

mooseslayer

22 hours ago, mooseslayer said:

I'm having a good year. Got my turkey, bear and moose...now I need to get that nice buck on my trail cam lol.

I’d say your having a great year. Congrats on the moose. How far did you shoot it from?

seems like a hunters paradise up there. 

Called it in to 20 yards. I walk in a kilometer to the spot but we used a couple atv's to get it out. Had to chainsaw a path in from the trail. The work begins when the moose is on the ground. We let it hang a couple days and then we spent most of a day butchering it...6 guys, but lots of nice meat.

57 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

Called it in to 20 yards. I walk in a kilometer to the spot but we used a couple atv's to get it out. Had to chainsaw a path in from the trail. The work begins when the moose is on the ground. We let it hang a couple days and then we spent most of a day butchering it...6 guys, but lots of nice meat.

Congrats mooseslayer !!  Sure brings back old memories .....I  bagged 7 moose during my hunting days ,  using my 30:06  pump . I remember well carrying  quarters out of the bush using a "ladder" build with branches .  You will never forget those days !

On 10/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, Surf and Turf said:

Congratulations Mooseslayer! Beautiful Bull and taken with a bow to boot, that takes skill and confidence!

You said it well  surf !

1 hour ago, mooseslayer said:

Who teaches someone to butcher the animals? Is it part of the course or something you have to learn on your own?

There are lots of videos online. My brother showed me once 20+ years ago and now I've done dozens of moose, deer and bear...probably over 100 animals. I debone everything... so I take backstraps (yum) , then 2 front shoulders come off easily and are cut up and chunk for ground, stew or sausage/burgers/meatballs.  I will often have big bags vacuum sealed in freezer of chunks and at the end of deer season I will take them out and grind them, buy some ground pork and make up and my burgers etc and vacuum seal them. I go through a lot of vacuum sealer bags and buy them a couple thousand at  a time to get a good deal and have lots brothers and friends who want them as well. The 2 hind quarters you can basically separate the muscle groups and see the roasts and steaks. We even started keeping the ribs a few years ago and this year I kept some bones and cut them up to make soup broth.

2010_10010021.JPG

bones.jpg

Congrats mooseslayer. ! I saw the pic of your bull from a member of the archery club before it was on here .ya its alot of work once the moose is down .we shot 3 in one year with 10 guys in a group and seems like all we did was work for 10 days .lots of good eats there! Good luck on getting your target buck this year as well .ive got a doozey on cam too that im after but need a perfect wind where i am .

Nice clean meat cutting operation !  We took our last few years of moose quarters to the Egerters on hwy 20 near Allanburg . The 4 of us would help with the wrapping in waxed meat paper and box the meat into steaks - roasts - hamburg , ect . ...had a great time doing it ! We added 30% pork to the hamburg . Our best year was 3 bull moose with 4 guys . One guy busted his ankle and was flown out by chopper while I stayed in White River to direct the rescue crew to the camp site . The 3 guys had to carry out 3 moose through 4 portages !  All hunts have a story to tell ....and remember for many years .....

We have a very good setup in The Haliburton Forest where our moose, deer camp is located. On dropping an animal or two (which we have been very fortunate to do for the last many years) we field dress it then using our sled we haul it with the ATV's to the nearest trail where we load it on a trailer. Once back in camp we hang it, skin it, then haul it about 40 km south to West Guillford. There is a general store there that is also a butcher shop. During the one week moose season and two week deer season he only processes wild game. He hangs it, cuts it, wraps it and freezes it and at the end of the week we pick it up, divide it and head for home. It's an ideal situation because with the warmer weather these days, we never have to worry about spoilage. I hope we can repeat that process again next week.  

I have had this buck on my trail camera for a month but all at night until last week when he showed up twice just before 7pm.

Big buck trailcam.JPG

I didn't hunt that stand until Saturday morning because the wind was wrong and I didn't want to mess it up. The trailcam showed he had come in that morning 5am and 7:29 the night before...after legal time. Saturday was cool and breezy and I had a feeling he might move early. Sure enough...6  turkeys walked by about 6pm and then I heard a noise and wondered if they were coming back but it was the big guy. He walked by at 20 yards and the Bowtech Reign 7 doesn't miss. It was a quick find before dark and then a bit of a walk back to the truck to get my toboggan. I managed to field dress him and get him in the toboggan and out to the trail but it was tough. Drove my Blazer in close and loaded him in. Wouldn't have been able to do it without the toboggan.

Here he is ...

59261530019__0C1275EC-CD74-4CF7-8A72-5420B07B43FB.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

God......now I have to listen to all this for the next year. I have to admit though he does a lot of prep work, scouting, archery practice...he earns his animals. Now if he could just work on his modesty.

Archived