lots of snow, lots of ducks

snakeman4

decided to venture out this morning and try a new spot i scouted the day before.  It payed off quite well.  Started out the morning with a pair of Woodies.  3 of them dropped perfectly into the hole in the centre of the decoy spread. 2 shots 2 birds. had a ton of geese flying all morning, but they were quite content on feeding on the nearby fields.  I did luck out and was able to entice a small group of 4 birds to come into my decoys, i was able to drop the lead bird.  I was very impressed with the full choke and #2 shot i was using, as i dropped the honker with no follow up shot needed.  paddled out to grab my honker and i flared a big group of mallards coming in for a look.  set back up, and had 2 more groups of mallards come drop in, dropping 1 drake in each group.  all in all a great day on the water.  

75380379_10157837020176528_7848486270203

77250116_10157837020101528_3352194774500

76654343_10157837020041528_8070996027454

Looks like a great hunt. Congratulations. As a teenager, I started hunting ducks in the early sixties (back when every hunter's dream was to see a Canada goose which were almost non-existent then). I quickly learned I did not like eating ducks, possibly because I also shot a commorant not knowing what it was and tried to eat it as well. I've never hunted waterfowl since but stories like yours makes me think I should give it another try.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:11 AM, verado said:

Looks like a great hunt. Congratulations. As a teenager, I started hunting ducks in the early sixties (back when every hunter's dream was to see a Canada goose which were almost non-existent then). I quickly learned I did not like eating ducks, possibly because I also shot a commorant not knowing what it was and tried to eat it as well. I've never hunted waterfowl since but stories like yours makes me think I should give it another try.

You have to be very selective about which species of duck you shoot, probably a Merganser back then,  you only shoot one of them if you are smart.

Archived