Moose and Deer hunt

verado

Another successful season at our Haliburton Hunt Club. In the first five minutes on opening day I was lucky enough to drop a cow and young bull (the only two we saw all week). It continued our stretch of luck of at least one moose for the last six years. With regards to the deer hunt we have not been very lucky. First of all there are not too many deer there as the moose have pushed them out and for the last several years we have been plagued with poor weather. Rain all week, very high winds and temperatures. This year it rained the entire week before the hunt and opening day was a mixture of heavy snow and rain which changed to all rain the next day. The bush and trails were almost impassable and we saw nothing. Wednesday dawned extremely cold, sunny, calm and a little fresh snow. The deer started to move and we managed to get three. It was nice because one of our older hunters who has not shot a deer for many years got two of them and the third was taken by a sixty-eight year old and was his first ever. 

Congrats! great to hear the older guys getting the deer. When I had a camp past Parry Sound we had the same thing. Started out as a deer camp, then they dropped the available doe  tags and we also started seeing more moose so it became a moose camp until the MNR dropped the moose tags and we couldn't get a tag...even though we got a moose opening day for many years. We finally sold the camp and bought another up in Kirkland Lake but now we can't get a moose tag there either.

Our camp is a large one, 18-23 guys. Under the current tag system we are guaranteed a bull and a cow tag and someone always gets an additional bull tag. This is what has happened for the last many years. Our butcher is located 30 miles south of the camp and by evening of opening day they were both already hanging there. At the end of the week it is cut, packaged and frozen and we just pick it up and divide it. You might say that is a lot of guys for 2 moose but we each end up with 30 - 40 lbs of meat and that is all most of us want anyways. As to deer, out of 18-19 guys I think we had 7 or 8 doe tags. The three we got are all being processed as hamburger and pepperettes.

That's awesome...and great to have a butcher near by so your harvest can be processed and all ready to go for you....and yum venison pepperettes are great...a buddy of mine like 25 years ago had an uncle who processed alot of game up in the soo .... he would make us some great Italian style moose sausage in a bunch of flavors from honey garlic to extra hot..!!!!...thanks for sharing in the tradition and great to hear of the old timers getting in on the action

Archived