Otter

smerchly

My daughter sent this photo to me yesterday .....she has a trailer near Consecon , about 20 minutes south of Trenton . They like to spend time there on nicer days . They have heat and cook on the bbq and enjoy the sunsets etc. ....and she is good with the camera !  An otter was spending some time right near the dock and she got several shots of it , something I have never done .  It was making itself at home there ....don't know how long it will stay as the cold sets in .

Dee's otter.jpg

That's cool...they dont mind the cold all they need is a food source...im trying to find a pic I have of a family of them playing in front of my dock when I had the trailer on moira ..all the youngsters where swimming around in a big ball all over and around each other

The otters are playful animals , and they seem to enjoy frolicking about in the water , unlike those busy beavers that seem to be workaholics chewing up trees and building houses .  Your trailer JW ....those were the days !   :Gonefishing:

In the 60's dad had a high power spotting scope , we use to watch them on Navy Island along the Niagara Parkway. Maybe 15 years ago , saw one down just upstream from the mouth of Forty Creek on the far bank next to Foran's Marina a couple of times. Sat upright , definitely an Otter or it was the tallest , skinniest beaver I ever saw.

Back in the 60's we didn't think of seeing beavers, otters or turkeys around here .It was groundhogs , muskrats , coons & pheasants .

59 minutes ago, dave524 said:

or it was the tallest , skinniest beaver I ever saw.

^_^

6 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Way to cool smerch great pic of him we are starting to see things that we didn't growing up 

Ya Gunner  ,  we didn't see beavers here & they have downed a lot of trees and ruined some good fishing spots . We had eels , not salmon ,  no gobies , zebra mussels or bugs that destroy millions of our trees , etc etc etc . ...most of it because of world trade .

I hunted pheasants and rabbits  150 yards from where I'm sitting ....all housing now. Gave up my trusty 20 gauge single shot Cooey many years ago . I still haven't seen a definite sighting of an otter in these parts......

Here's my "otter" trying to raid my minnow pail at Ramey's Bend back in the "old days" 

mink.jpg

Awesome...had that happen a few times as well fishing the river.....even had a fox helping itself to my minnows one time....heard this slurping sound behind us....look back...fox chowing down.....fox sees us looking and takes off...turn toward the water and start fishing again....and yep....slurp slurp slurp....right back at it like a champ.....was good for a few laughs

We left a pot with a handle on it with some left over stew for a fox that would visit us looking for a handout . It took off with the pot , never did find it !   We think back to those incidents and still laugh about it .  🦊

Archived