Trolling motor Battery

Mbocco

Hi Folks

Looking for opinions:

I bought a Minn Kota Endura C2 30 for my yak.

Now I’m doing battery research.   I’m considering a basic deep cycle marine battery (wet) probably 24-27 size.  I’d lean towards a 24 because I don’t really want to carry around a 60lb battery.  Any suggestions?

But I’ve also been considering a 55aH scooter AGM battery.  Lighter but more expensive. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I have the big 27  for my canoe & it's a heavy !!  I've had it for about 7-8 years and keep it in my cold garage all winter and recharge it every month. It's just a cheap Walmart brand . It has pushed my 90 lb.(empty) canoe around local spots without a problem .  Your yak will not need as much energy , so I would consider  the light batteries . ......and that depends on how much time you put on it each trip . I'm sure others here who run yaks and canoes will chime in .

I agree with Smerch, 27s are quite heavy- I have 3 of them in my boat! I think a 24 should be fine and should last you a full day of fishing especially in a kayak.

I’m on my second trio of Interstates. My last trio lasted me 9 years! A little more expensive but I get them at a low cost from a mechanic friend of mine.  

You can sometimes get good deals on an Everstart battery at Walmart or a Nautilus at Canadian tire.  These will be just fine and won’t break the bank. Make sure to take care of it and should last you a while.

I got my boat batteries at pro battery shops on hwy 20 by the allanburg bridge.   They were pretty knowledgeable in pointing me to the best battery for my needs.  Maybe give them a call and see what they recommend.  Pricing was decent as well.

I just picked up two 27 series and a 24 for a cranking battery from Costco. Great price and reviews. When the price comes down on Lithium batteries I would sure be tempted to go that way, just can't justify it now with the price.

The main benefit of an AGM as I see it is that it can handle being placed in odd positions, like on its side, if you had to in you Yak.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2020 at 9:49 AM, Mbocco said:

I bought a Minn Kota Endura C2 30 for my yak.

How do you like this motor? Is 30" a good shaft length for a yak? I am not looking for speed or anything just a low maintenance motor that will last a few years I was debating whether to upgrade to a pedal powered kayak but i decided a paddle is better for most of my fishing. I would like to be able to easily troll and such so that is why I am looking into a trolling motor.

21 minutes ago, Lukefish99 said:

How do you like this motor? Is 30" a good shaft length for a yak? I am not looking for speed or anything just a low maintenance motor that will last a few years I was debating whether to upgrade to a pedal powered kayak but i decided a paddle is better for most of my fishing. I would like to be able to easily troll and such so that is why I am looking into a trolling motor.

I actually sold that set up earlier this year and bought a peddle yak.  That Min Kota worked great however.  The new yak with the peddles is even better though.  Oldtown Sportsman PDL.  

I just found it cumbersome to always cart around the motor and the battery.  After upgrading to the PDL I will never look back. 

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

I just found it cumbersome to always cart around the motor and the battery.  After upgrading to the PDL I will never look back. 

I hope to have my large aluminum canoe in the water soon , just waiting for a good day to spray paint it when there's no wind . I also find it a task to use my Minn Kota and lug that deep cell battery in and out of the boat & van . ....so I'll be paddling it most of the time .(not easy to do in a freighter) 

30 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I hope to have my large aluminum canoe in the water soon , just waiting for a good day to spray paint it when there's no wind . I also find it a task to use my Minn Kota and lug that deep cell battery in and out of the boat & van . ....so I'll be paddling it most of the time .(not easy to do in a freighter) 

I can tow you around by peddle and rope if you like. 

🤣

10 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I can tow you around by peddle and rope if you like. 

I may call you up on that sir !   It may be to your advantage also to give your legs a tune up !   

21 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I actually sold that set up earlier this year and bought a peddle yak.  That Min Kota worked great however.  The new yak with the peddles is even better though.  Oldtown Sportsman PDL.  

I think a peddle kayak is better for traveling distances but i spend a lot of time in shallow water where a peddle system would be too deep. WIth a trolling motor i can use it depending on my situation so that's why i stuck with my paddle. That trolling motor seems good enough for me but the battery's do get a bit pricey lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure you need a whistle (which is attached to my PFD), a floating flashlight and a rope with the float. Not sure why.  They sell that orange container with everything in it.  

i checked it out with Mr.Google and he said ...... scroll down ....not much required for our yaks & canoes ...no bail cans for paddle boards  lol

https://ebsadventure.com/blogs/news/18285581-what-do-i-really-need-to-bring-paddling-transport-canada-requirements

45 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

If your kayak is a sit on top the law requires only a PDF with a whistle as long as you are wearing it at all times. You don’t require an orange safety kit or anything else.

Oh good because I never carry it.  In fact I recommissioned the floating line thing that came in the container as my anchor rope.  
🤣