Port colborne quarry

Slim

New to the area and looking for an update on the access to the quarry of cement rd. It looks like a lot of new construction going up. Can you still park and walk the train tracks? Or is there a better way to get to the water? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up in Port Colborne and our house backed onto Killaly St. where the Canada Cement Plant was. I fished those quarries as soon as I was old enough to walk there. As a teenager I was gifted a canoe and a friend and I would portage it through the field to get to the quarry. Back then the water was much higher so there were islands and you could paddle under the train tracks to access either quarry. So much excellent structure for largies. On Saturday and Sunday mornings we would fish and then go around picking up all the floating beer bottles from the previous nights parties. My dad would drive the car over and help us return the bottles for pocket change which we would buy more tackle with. Great memories. 

On 9/10/2020 at 9:46 AM, dave524 said:

Back in the late '60s I recall shooting skeet and trap off Killaly on the Cement Plant property, between Westside road and Hwy #3 I believe.

Yes. That was across the street from the A&W. The buildings were there for awhile after the gun club shut down. 

• 11 months later...

Accessed from the Cement Plant Road, made up of a narrow strip of pored cement, just wide enough for one car, it was a teen swimming hole just outside PortColborne in the 50’s and 60’s.The water was crystal clear. You could see the remains of various pieces of rock crushing equipment left behind when the quarry eventually sprang a leak and partially filled with water (not to be confused with Sherkston Quarry). It was also a regular parking spot for late night necking sessions.
My older brothers brought home an unexploded bomb that was  brought up from the bottom of the quarry. The explosive content had been removed. I believe that the quarry was used as a training drop for bomb practice during the 2nd world war. 

Those were the days my fine feathered friends