Surprisingly Silver September

Mbocco

34 minutes ago, Lukefish99 said:

I still have yet to land by first salmon. I have been out multiple 5+ hour nights and have only gotten 2 hits. I was thinking i might as well switch to bottom bouncing with roe to try to get them. Im think bound to hook up on a king at some time soon. (I hope lol)

The bite won’t switch to roe for a few weeks.  For now hardware should work better (spinners, spoons, crankbaits).  

I’ve never fished for them late in the evening or overnight (that probably works). Daybreak plus or minus 1hr is my favourite time. 

The real trick which took me a while to learn down there is how and where to properly present your bait in that current. 

10 hours ago, Lukefish99 said:

I still have yet to land by first salmon. I have been out multiple 5+ hour nights and have only gotten 2 hits. I was thinking i might as well switch to bottom bouncing with roe to try to get them. Im think bound to hook up on a king at some time soon. (I hope lol)

Where are you fishing?

In the Niagara river you won't catch salmon on roe bags, skein is the only thing that works especially cured in hot pink Pautzke.  Right now they fish are slowly moving, it has been a very hot late summer and the run is late in most areas.  Once the fish show up at the pool in greater numbers, start fishing skein...

29 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Where are you fishing?

I have been fishing port Dalhousie both the dam and off the pier, I have also tried the mouth of jordan a couple times and that is where I got the hits on a J-13. although I do think those were lmb.

10 hours ago, Mbocco said:

The real trick which took me a while to learn down there is how and where to properly present your bait in that current.

there is a bit of current in port Dalhousie so that might be part of the problem. I have been trying to figure out how to get m lure to the bottom while not letting it get washed all the way downstream or staying near the top. It might be my issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m assuming you are all talking of fishing the channel at Pt. Dalhousie, but I have never fished there.

Since I sold my boat last year I’ve got to start looking for more shore fishing options.

Can you park and fish on the east side near the boat ramps - I don’t have a long net for pier fishing.

And do you all eat them, or are you just doing catch and release?

If you are asking me, I don’t fish Port Dalhousie… not enough space.  All my pics are from the whirlpool.  

I’ll eat a salmon from Lake Ontario during the summer but not from the river.  I always let them go.  I don’t even keep skein or eggs anymore because I don’t enjoy that style of fishing. 

No way I could haul my old butt up from the whirlpool.

Are there any places in NOTL that you can fish the river from the shore?

I’m looking at Google Earth views of NOTL, and it looked like there might be some shore access near the marina or Navy Hall.

1 hour ago, genec said:

No way I could haul my old butt up from the whirlpool.

Are there any places in NOTL that you can fish the river from the shore?

I’m looking at Google Earth views of NOTL, and it looked like there might be some shore access near the marina or Navy Hall.

Ya there is lots of easier shore access in those areas and of course near Queenston but those aren’t really salmon spots.   Steelhead soon though. 

Mean looking king and beauty hen brown .  I'll soon be tossing some appetizers for the trout , eyes , or "anything" that will bend my rod ! 

Congrats on another successful outing ! 

On 10/10/2021 at 1:16 PM, genec said:

I’m assuming you are all talking of fishing the channel at Pt. Dalhousie, but I have never fished there.

Since I sold my boat last year I’ve got to start looking for more shore fishing options.

Can you park and fish on the east side near the boat ramps - I don’t have a long net for pier fishing.

And do you all eat them, or are you just doing catch and release?

I wasnt fishing in the channel at port ...i was casting from both piers out into the lake...too much current in the channel..im thinkin the salmon are just about finshed heading into port from the lake so closer up by the dam will be the place to try now.....bottom bouncing with roe bags or casting lures...browns will be in soon enough too