Carp Rigs

From that Deeper sonar that Tyler put up is from a South African fellow. Lots of good videos and here is one of them. You may want to use subtitles to get through the accent.

I don't think carp from there will behave any differently. Still got to eat, right? :pardon:

• 6 months later...

Can anyone recommend a good carp rod and reel? I've never fished carp until this year and I'm having a blast fishing them when i cant get my boat on the water. Some questions i have. What lenght an action of  rod?  Medium or heavy? What kind of reel? And what type of line and lb test? Thanks guys 

I still use my entry level carp rod and reel and use simple bait rigs and mostly corn . I have some oats and cream corn for chumming or use maize for both chum and bait . The hair rig is simple but effective . Boilies and other baits that float help keep baits elevated when slime ,moss ,ect .is present .

Bait runner reels are mostly used with that secondary drag (not expensive) and most carp rods like mine are 12 ft. two piece and have worked very well for me . I was using 20 lb mono with a 17 lb.leader (hook) when I landed a 36 lb.carp this year . I have 20 lb. braid on my other rod and like to use a 8 to10 ft  30 lb. mono leader for some spots where the braid may come into contact with rocky drop offs .. 

Fishing for carp need not be expensive , to catch the big ones !  Good luck Darryl  !  :Gonefishing:

Thanks smerch. Appreciate the great info. I have everything except for a bait runner reel so maybe I'll pick one of those up tomorrow when I go to grimsby tackle. I have found a few carp rich spots near me that I will be hitting up over the summer when I cant get out on the boat. Thanks again! 

I used to think fishing for carp was simple . It’s not simple at all , I picked up some gear this winter and hopefully I may get a chance to try it out . I think I will start by fishing the boat slip at Wellandport  it’s very close and at least I can sort out the tackle I purchased , ( maybe but I doubt i will get the hang of it ) . I need to stop working and spend some time just doing some fun stuff .

14 minutes ago, Duncan said:

It’s not simple at all

It doesn't get much simpler than putting some corn on a hook  and tossing it out  in the water . Carp will pick it up from the bottom and away you go !   B)

But there are these things called boilies and the netting bags that dissolve . I have had some experience fishing fo grass carp , but that’s fishing in China for them and that style is totally different  and FEDE55CD-DED5-48C9-9646-91470FD8FA00.jpeg that’s all I have done for carp fishing . 

Nice grass carp there  , I've yet to catch one . there are some in the Gibson waters but I've yet to go after them specifically . With 3 rods being legal for carp , I will have a go with different rigs and hopefully catch one ....one day .

I decided to fish earlier today (nice & cool) ...got to the spot about 8:10 am ,chummed the water , got both lines in by 8:20 ....Five minutes later alarm goes off , fight is on !  Two minutes later the other alarm goes off . I'm still fighting the first fish, so I let it take the line wherever it may go !  I landed the first one , got the hook out quickly and left the carp on the tarp while I grabbed the other rod ....fish had peeled out about 80 yds .of line . Finally netted it and joined to other carp for a quick photo opt  (8:45 a.m.) ....then both released !  Didn't weigh them as they were out of the water long enough , but both were in the 16 -17 lb .range .  The moss is beginning to form on the bottom , need to elevate the baits now .... By then ole Smerch needed a rest !!

Got 2 more in the next  90 minutes .,largest weighed just under 18 lbs .  I forgot to bring a drink , sun was getting warm , bite slowed , packed up and was home by noon .  I was the first  vehicle there , when I left there was a dozen or more all with plates that started with CF or CK , one with ASET... and all Honda & Toyota except for two locals with a Jimmy and a Chev.Cruise.....

A great morning for carping !  ......a few shots ....

double trouble carp.jpg

18 lb.carp.jpg

17 lb.carp.jpg

Thanks guys , it got off to a quick start !   

With the slime/moss forming on the bottom I will try my old dried corn puffs . They will split when I try to insert the hook .....so I  drilled some today with a 1/16" drill , popped them in the micro wave for 8 seconds , rubbed them with butter , put into a baggie for a few hours , then put them on a hook ( no split) , immersed in cold water for 20 minutes ....looks good to go !  I like using pack bait and puffed corn this time of the season, but not where gobies are present .

Went 4 for 6 today ...largest 23 lbs ,another 20 lbs .long hard fight !  Got 2 on hair rig/maize , one on corn puff , one on yellow marsh mellow .   Other smaller fish biting steady ...maybe gobies or bait fish .... Another good day at the water front.

.....this 20 lb.gave me the best battle of the day , big tail puts out a lot of power  ...was trying desperately to go to Toronto ...

CARP  20 lbs..jpg

The bait fish, or gobies were terrorizing all my baits today , some hit the bait hard enough to set off the alarm for a second ...couldn't catch any of them bait thieves !  Also lots of debris on the bottom , like black pieces of leaves ,and some algae slime ..... The shallows were buzzing with carp near shorelines ...must be in the spawning mode....

The carp were verrry scrappy ,  ripped off a lot of line before I could turn them around .  Fun day !   :Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Do you ever use boillies, And the pva  bags to chum the water ?. 

I fish close to shore at most places and just toss either pack bait ( oats, cream corn , maize mix) ,or I toss about a half cup of maize (pineapple scent) every half hour about 30 ft. from shore (use a dollar store spoon)  I have a sling shot for lake fishing to get a ball of maize/oat mix out there 75 yards  and I have some pva bags for special occasions like deep water carping .  Carp fishing methods change as spots vary from 3 ft. to 30 ft ....some with a good current and water clarity . That's the beauty  of carp fishing ,  so may ways to target them and entice them with the "soup du jour"   B)

Good fishing Duncan .