Memorial Hunting Trip

smerchly

After many moose hunting trips one usually stands out among the rest . Every trip became an adventure as all hunters can relate ....

I have hunted many zones and our Elliot Lake area has many memorial hunts ....We had 4 portages to get to Upper Mace Lake . (full of splake)

On one trip as Dave & I were carrying a moose quarter in a stretcher from atop a hill , Dave slipped on wet moss and we heard an awful crack !!  .....broken ankle !! We had to ease him down the slope to the boat and back to camp . Stan & I headed back in the dark to get help (4 portages) . I went to the OPP station  in the a.m. to pinpoint our location & a chopper was sent ...in dense fog to get Dave . Stan went back to camp to help haul out the 3 bulls  we got & I stayed in a motel . Dave was taken to Sudbury hospital  where they stabilized his ankle and we took him back to St.Kitts where they operated on it .....He was left with a permanent limp.

What a trip that was...... an old 35mm photo ....chopper landed just 10 meters from our tent , and Dave waving inside ..

chopper, Dave Ames.jpg

That sounds like quite an adventure Smerch!  Given the prospect of having to pack out three moose over 4 portages I might have opted for the broken ankle! Probably less painful and got a free helicopter ride to boot!

44 minutes ago, Surf and Turf said:

might have opted for the broken ankle

A little sprain maybe  LOL  , but he was in a lot of pain (no drugs available)

At one portage we had the use of an old VW & trailer which helped a lot !

Two of those bulls were mine ....shot 20 minutes apart ,  40 yds apart in the same meadow ....I was the c+ck of the walk that year !     :bravo:

11 hours ago, smerchly said:

A little sprain maybe  LOL  , but he was in a lot of pain (no drugs available)

At one portage we had the use of an old VW & trailer which helped a lot !

Two of those bulls were mine ....shot 20 minutes apart ,  40 yds apart in the same meadow ....I was the c+ck of the walk that year !     :bravo:

Not too many can claim two moose the same day! The second one must have been a bit "slow" though to show up 20 minutes later to the same spot, but still counts just the same...LOL!  

There was some high rocky ridges at the back of the meadow and maybe the sound of my shot bounced off that ridge (echo) and scared the second one . It came into the same spot and was acting very agitated like it didn't know which way to go . I was sitting behind a downed tree root having a coke while waiting for the guys to show up when the other moose appeared out of nowhere . For a second I wondered if my first moose "resurrected" himself  ....needless to say I was stunned ! 

Lots of stories to tell from other trips !!

Archived