upper niagara waterfowl

snakeman4

Nice shots of the waterfowl ...never seen so many snow geese on land !   The River is a  bird watchers paradise  , a good place to spot the beautiful white egrets as well .  

Are those 3 birds mergansers ?Do you see many cormorants since there's plenty of bait fish ?   

Those three are mergansers, hard to tell from the photo but I believe those to be swans not snow geese. 

Cormorants are early migrators, and for the most part are gone. Although fishing the upper in the summer there were thousands.

cheers 

9 hours ago, basscrazy said:

I believe those to be swans not snow geese. 

Might be a mix of both by looking at the neck length .

There are a few mallards hanging around Port Dal today .....some kind of duck convention going on .....what a racket !!  :blahblah1::blahblah1:

Ducks at Port Jan 4.jpg

Nice pics, 50 plus years ago did that drive with my parents often and dad had a high power spotting scope. My favourite was watching the otters on Navy Island, no Comorants back then.  Think those are all swans, snow geese are only slightly bigger than a mallard and swans are bigger than Canadas.

• 3 weeks later...

Last shot a Gadwall  ?    That looks like the mounted duck my neighbour just showed me ! 

I believe it was mounted by our member Gunner !!  .   Nice mount !!

Snakeman is very happy with the mount .   

Archived