Queenston launch closed?It's time to charge parking?

Fresh Fish

On 1/29/2021 at 7:30 PM, Darryl L said:

I agree steve. I'm a newer boater and wont go near Queenston launch. Me and my wife took a drive there one day and it was absolutely jammed.  Trucks couldn't turn around, guys were literally backing up down the hill in between cars parked on both sides and I said NO THANKS. Then we watched a boat come into the launch right over all the shore guys lines which almost caused another fight. I love fishing but not worth the stress

I will definitely look up the US launches as I'm only a few minutes away from the border . 

"Backing down the hill" LOL , you would have loved it back when we launched at the pump house further down the river

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a teenager in the 80s I cant tell you how many times we would watch people come down that old launch in the winter and turn to each other...laugh...and say..."that guy ain't making it back up"...haha...and next thing you know...here we are helping to push them back up the hill 😮😂

28 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

When I was a teenager in the 80s I cant tell you how many times we would watch people come down that old launch in the winter and turn to each other...laugh...and say..."that guy ain't making it back up"...haha...and next thing you know...here we are helping to push them back up the hill 😮😂

What a crazy launch that was !!  I fished from shore there and remember catching a lovely sheepshead .

That was also the place when the anglers came back from fishing they found their vehicles had been broken into.

8 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I heard that the Jetboat is out of there soon and the launch will be rebuilt in that area where there is more space, less current, and probably a better angle of approach. 

That would be mint...and worth the $120 access fee.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, dave524 said:

"Backing down the hill" LOL , you would have loved it back when we launched at the pump house further down the river

I remember doing that with my old fibreglass "bat boat" with a 1957 30 hp Johnson in my old Dodge truck. lol

On 2/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, Mbocco said:

I heard that the Jetboat is out of there soon and the launch will be rebuilt in that area where there is more space, less current, and probably a better angle of approach. 

Not sure where you heard that , NPC said they dont own or have access to that land . And have nothing planned to build new only repair and maintain what is already there 

5 hours ago, Lund-SS said:

Not sure where you heard that , NPC said they dont own or have access to that land . And have nothing planned to build new only repair and maintain what is already there 

It was just from a conversation with a customer.  Certainly nothing official.

With some access closed off...and the steady high water levels cutting off a bunch of prime shoreline....the steel certainly has a banner year to spawn without alot of pressure....in a couple years the numbers should be through the roof!!!

3 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

With some access closed off...and the steady high water levels cutting off a bunch of prime shoreline....the steel certainly has a banner year to spawn without alot of pressure....in a couple years the numbers should be through the roof!!!

From what I've read there is no natural reproduction of Salmon or Trout in the lower Niagara

edit; there is recently confirmed Lake Trout reproduction on the bar

32 minutes ago, dave524 said:

From what I've read there is no natural reproduction of Salmon or Trout in the lower Niagara

32 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I wonder why there’s no natural reproduction.  Should be fairly cool water and lots of it not like shallow streams that are piss warm and dry up almost. 

I have heard people say this but not all of the salmonids caught have clipped fins so I assume there must be some natural reproduction.

I wonder if people just say that to justify gutting the females to take their eggs. 

Americans stopped clipping ages ago. Not sure if Ontario did as well.  When you see the stocking numbers there is no shortage of fish.  But if baitfish decline like on huron and starting on Michigan then there's trouble.

3 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I have heard people say this but not all of the salmonids caught have clipped fins so I assume there must be some natural reproduction.

I wonder if people just say that to justify gutting the females to take their eggs. 

there is reproduction on the north shore, Credit  Ganny and several other smaller tribs

One easy way to tell is if your catching juvenille fish. Although rare, I can remember getting smolt years ago in the pool but never since. All the erie tribs I fish I pretty consistently see them along with a Huron trib I hit from time to time too... I dont think the changing water levels, fast current and lack of gravel help natural reproduction. Niagara is blessed with a really good food source along with plenty of US stocking. Fish will run up Niagara in large #'s just chasing bait. Look at the late spring Laker runs for example. I am sure theres a tonne of other stray fish that find the cold, flowing, deep water and plentiful food source and decide to hang around. 

Once upon a time Lake O. fish could make their way through Port Dalhousie , through a canal or a 4 step fish ladder into the 12 , run through 2 sets of rapids at Welland Vale , another at the Burgoyne bridge , and last one at the Hydro plant . We caught many white suckers , eels and trout in the system . The trout were mostly stocked ,like the Kamloops but I believe the brookies could reproduce themselves . The 12 seems like a viable source for reproduction if there was a fish ladder , but that was turned down many years ago ......  There are some rainbows and walleye in the system now ....

Then we have Jordan ....very unpredictable water levels .......

Archived