Goose Hunt

Surf and Turf

Looking forward to getting out for a goose hunt in the morning. With the warmer weather they have been on the move the last couple of days, hopefully they will co-operate in the morning!

Anyone else heading out?

The late season goose opener ended up being pretty uneventful. Got to our spot at 5:30 and went about setting up in the pouring rain. We had one flock come in and commit around 7. They came in low and from our right and caught us off guard as we were all hunkered down in our layouts trying to shelter from the rain. I was the farthest to the left so left them to the other guys, our one and only bird for the day went down.

Another flock came in right behind the first one though higher and not before we regrouped so off they went.

Around 7:30 a dear came out in to the field to check out our spread and wandered around for a while. You can see it in the second picture.

Ended up packing it in around 9:00, might have stayed out longer if we had equipped our layout blinds with bilge pumps.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out at least once or twice more before the season ends and hopefully on drier days!

C93DCE05-999F-4586-A1CD-4E5DA4CCE19E_1_105_c.jpeg

33210CC4-63B0-478C-9BC2-EB41716FC0D7_1_105_c.jpeg

3 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

The late season goose opener ended up being pretty uneventful. Got to our spot at 5:30 and went about setting up in the pouring rain. We had one flock come in and commit around 7. They came in low and from our right and caught us off guard as we were all hunkered down in our layouts trying to shelter from the rain. I was the farthest to the left so left them to the other guys, our one and only bird for the day went down.

Another flock came in right behind the first one though higher and not before we regrouped so off they went.

Around 7:30 a dear came out in to the field to check out our spread and wandered around for a while. You can see it in the second picture.

Ended up packing it in around 9:00, might have stayed out longer if we had equipped our layout blinds with bilge pumps.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out at least once or twice more before the season ends and hopefully on drier days!

C93DCE05-999F-4586-A1CD-4E5DA4CCE19E_1_105_c.jpeg

33210CC4-63B0-478C-9BC2-EB41716FC0D7_1_105_c.jpeg

It's been a rough year for us too.  Haven't had the birds coming in consistently to the same fields. Still nice to get out, minus the rain. 

Archived