Vertical jigging

boogaloo

1 hour ago, boogaloo said:

I want to fish Lake Ont. from my kayak but trolling will wear me out. Has anyone tried vertical jigging from their yak??.............................Daniel

I am guessing you mean for trout or salmon. If trolling is not an option you are better off casting over jigging. You will cover more water and also have more reaction strikes. 

I am aware of other boats successfully jigging for trout this time of year.  I’m also assuming they wouldn’t just vertical jig but likely cast and jig back to the boat.   

If I ever need a rest I’ll do this for a while.  I’ve never been successful though.  In the summer this technique would work great for drum, walleye and bass in Lake Erie.  

Or as suggested, paddle out to a spot near a tributary or creek mouth, bring a long rod, cast your spoon, spinner, hardbait or softbait just like shore.   

I have seen videos of anglers jigging deep water at the mouth of the River for lake trout ....using heavy lures like the Crippled Herring (I have some)  , also saw videos of jigging for lake trout on Lake Simcoe , using large twisters . Maybe the lakers at Jordan would hit the jigs , and other fish too .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

I have seen videos of anglers jigging deep water at the mouth of the River for lake trout ....using heavy lures like the Crippled Herring (I have some)  , also saw videos of jigging for lake trout on Lake Simcoe , using large twisters . Maybe the lakers at Jordan would hit the jigs , and other fish too .

I jig the mouth or the Niagara Bar and prefer this method for this location. The Bar is like a big shelf that holds a smorgasbord for hungry feeding fish. Drifting while presenting a jig, spoon, three way rig with minnows or roe, or anything vertical is the technique most commonly used. But when fishing out on the main lake I think vertical jigging is tough unless you have found some sort of transition point or structure holding fish. Vertical jigging is not a search method but is a great method once you locate them. Again this is only an opinion but works for me.

6 hours ago, boogaloo said:

I want to fish Lake Ont. from my kayak but trolling will wear me out. Has anyone tried vertical jigging from their yak??.............................Daniel

I was thinking the same. With the amount of Lakers around right now I think it could work.  Tube jigs, lipless cranks same methods as ice fishing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jigging is productive at the Niagara bar. I’ve caught lots of lakers browns and even some big walleye there. I use 4 and 5 inch white or chartreuse paddle tail swim jigs with half oz heads or drop shot. 

On 4/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, Flyfisher said:

Jigging is productive at the Niagara bar. I’ve caught lots of lakers browns and even some big walleye there. I use 4 and 5 inch white or chartreuse paddle tail swim jigs with half oz heads or drop shot. 

I would like to try fishing the sand bar either by taking my boat from fifty point or using a kayak or even a rib . I would like to try using a full sinking line with streamers to see how that works .

I’m not sure if a kayak would be very practical out there. The current is pretty strong in some areas and you could get pushed out into the lake. Are you referring to fly fishing when you mention a full sink line? If so I’m sure you could try it as long as you can get down to say 15 or 20 ft. I know a guide named Paul Castellano who guides flyfishers on the Niagara river and gets them into some nice fish. I’ve gone fly fishing with him on Lake Erie bass and had a great experience. Just google Cast Adventures. Good luck and let us know how you make out

On 5/5/2021 at 12:05 PM, Flyfisher said:

I’m not sure if a kayak would be very practical out there. The current is pretty strong in some areas and you could get pushed out into the lake. Are you referring to fly fishing when you mention a full sink line? If so I’m sure you could try it as long as you can get down to say 15 or 20 ft. I know a guide named Paul Castellano who guides flyfishers on the Niagara river and gets them into some nice fish. I’ve gone fly fishing with him on Lake Erie bass and had a great experience. Just google Cast Adventures. Good luck and let us know how you make out

Yes I was referring to flyfishing and  I have a heavy beast of a kayak ( about 135 lbs)that has a drop in electric motor that would be nice to use . I had thought about putting the kayak on my Davit system and carrying it on my boat and then try fishing the bar while I anchored my boat close by .

On 5/8/2021 at 1:52 AM, Duncan said:

Yes I was referring to flyfishing and  I have a heavy beast of a kayak ( about 135 lbs)that has a drop in electric motor that would be nice to use . I had thought about putting the kayak on my Davit system and carrying it on my boat and then try fishing the bar while I anchored my boat close by .

That sounds like a nice setup. Salmon on a Kayak would be fun. A big one would tow you around. There are a couple posts from guys fishing the bar, and it sounds like the fishing is great out there right now. Some coho are being caught near the surface so fly fishing with some streamers on full sink lines or heavy shooting heads might get you into some fish. Cheers