Cheeky Coyote

I have just moved into the Chippewa area this week (Wednesday ) and I have been getting my pond ready to stock rainbows  ( aerating and bacterial control ) . It was just before dusk and I was checking out the back end of the pond , across from me in the tree line I heard a almost hoot sound coming from there . That’s when I saw the Coyote about 80 to 100’ feet from me .The cheeky part was he started circling the back of the pond towards me , he was interested in the goose that was in the pond and had no fear or concern for me being so close . If this becomes a habit I may have to do something about it . 

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

I have just moved into the Chippewa area this week (Wednesday ) and I have been getting my pond ready to stock rainbows  ( aerating and bacterial control ) . It was just before dusk and I was checking out the back end of the pond , across from me in the tree line I heard a almost hoot sound coming from there . That’s when I saw the Coyote about 80 to 100’ feet from me .The cheeky part was he started circling the back of the pond towards me , he was interested in the goose that was in the pond and had no fear or concern for me being so close . If this becomes a habit I may have to do something about it . 

That sounds like pretty unusual behaviour for a Coyote unless it was so focused on a potential meal it didn't notice you. Would have been cool to see though. They don't allow hunting them in the Park, so maybe he's a local one that is getting a bit too brave for it's own good?

6 hours ago, dave524 said:

Did you consult a biologist about putting Bows in your pond ?

You need to get a permit from the MNR , and only native species are allowed to be stocked ,Rainbows , Bass etc . In my case it was relatively simple because I don’t have any feeder streams for fish to escape into the watershed  .

The company I am getting stock from was a big help in sorting things out for me and advising what steps where needed .

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

You need to get a permit from the MNR , and only native species are allowed to be stocked ,Rainbows , Bass etc . In my case it was relatively simple because I don’t have any feeder streams for fish to escape into the watershed  .

The company I am getting stock from was a big help in sorting things out for me and advising what steps where needed .

I would have guessed water temp would be a concern

1 hour ago, dave524 said:

I would have guessed water temp would be a concern

Water temp is Huge concern the depth is 25’  and the aeration is handled by a pump designed to cover  up to 30’ deep and half acre . I have less than 1/4 acre , probably .2 acres  in addition I am getting a fountain that shoots 8 feet at centre and 6 feet at sides to add more water movement . The pond was initially designed to have speckles in there but I don’t think that would be a good choice .