12hr carp session

Tyler0420

20 minutes ago, smerchly said:

The weather here was mixed , we had it all ,....rain , sun ,clouds , thunder , lightening ...not exactly the best day for fish to be on the feed

We were lucky to only have the rain , sun and clouds. The storms seemed like they stayed around the escarpment area. 
I think the carp gear is going to take a rest now till the fall time. Going to try and lay the smack down on Erie eyes in the kayak, maybe even some Lake Ontario kings/bows.  I have another fun tournament this Saturday coming up out of port Bruce. (Walleye) 23 boats and I think only two kayakers. Hopefully Erie will be nice to us kayakers and let us get out there. 

The name Fat Boyz was familiar .  They know all the spots in Niagara  including CDP and Gibby .When you have a group like that you can give a new spot a good workout . ( 6 guys = 18 lines)  I wonder if they tried spots at the Rec. canal ...some nice grassy spots and trees there .  

4 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I think the carp gear is going to take a rest now

I have a few spots I want to try for carp  before giving it a rest  .  I hope Erie is tame for you guys next Sat, Ty . it would be a blast to catch eyes from a yak !   Maybe try a little jigging for them if you pick them up on your screen ...just as we do for them when on the hard water .

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

We were lucky to only have the rain , sun and clouds. The storms seemed like they stayed around the escarpment area. 
I think the carp gear is going to take a rest now till the fall time. Going to try and lay the smack down on Erie eyes in the kayak, maybe even some Lake Ontario kings/bows.  I have another fun tournament this Saturday coming up out of port Bruce. (Walleye) 23 boats and I think only two kayakers. Hopefully Erie will be nice to us kayakers and let us get out there. 

Good luck out of Bruce. Its close by for me and I've been out there at least 3x a week all summer. Basically every calm day as I have the summer off work. Let me know if you need any hints on baits, etc... I will probably be there every day this week except for saturday haha

1 hour ago, steellee said:

Good luck out of Bruce. Its close by for me and I've been out there at least 3x a week all summer. Basically every calm day as I have the summer off work. Let me know if you need any hints on baits, etc... I will probably be there every day this week except for saturday haha

Thanks I’ll msg you. Having the summer off of work doesn’t get any better then that. 

I remember Curtis ... they have a great thing going .  I'll probably run into them again . Rennie always produces carp , some days better than others . That spot is probably well chummed now .......   ;)

Yes it is. I thought more fish would of came out but we still managed around 10fish between 5 of us.  This was Burlington side of hammy harbor.  Fat boys did lose around 5 fish to hook pulls and a cut off. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Fat boys did lose around 5 fish to hook pulls and a cut off. 

Those cut offs were the 40 pounders !  Was your bait sitting in rocks ? Is there a steep drop off ?

I have used a 3 way rig for spots like that ....with a 'cheap' weight .(free at any beach)   ;)

I did some work on my bike today ....ready for another trip to the 12 tomorrow . They hit hard in that current ! I don't take my big net , wear boots and the carp don't leave the water .

Question about chumming ....depending on how heavily chummed .....

That spot at Hammi was chummed well of course , so I wonder how long the carp will remain there after all the chum is gone ? And .....if there was a lot of chum eaten , would they be hungry enough to eat again for a week ?  

just me thinking outside the box again ......   :crazy:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Those cut offs were the 40 pounders !  Was your bait sitting in rocks ? Is there a steep drop off ?

I have used a 3 way rig for spots like that ....with a 'cheap' weight .(free at any beach)   ;)

I did some work on my bike today ....ready for another trip to the 12 tomorrow . They hit hard in that current ! I don't take my big net , wear boots and the carp don't leave the water .

I don’t think it was too rocky. I checked the bottom before I put bait  out. Felt silty with a bit of weeds. The shoreline was a nightmare. Probably 10’ down, huge boulders plus the rain didn’t help. 

They ruined some real nice spots by dumping large boulders , like the pier at Port Dal. where we could fish right from the wall ...NOT NOW . What a mess they made to save a few bucks ....same thing at Rooker's Rd. where they 'dumb-ed' more huge rocks.  ...shore anglers matter (SAM) !

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

They ruined some real nice spots by dumping large boulders , like the pier at Port Dal. where we could fish right from the wall ...NOT NOW . What a mess they made to save a few bucks ....same thing at Rooker's Rd. where they 'dumb-ed' more huge rocks.  ...shore anglers matter (SAM) !

You gotta get that boat out more smerch. 

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

You gotta get that boat out more smerch.

Got to start small with my canoe . Hoping to get some cooler weather and hit Jordan . Did the 12 today ...landed 4 carp , one escaped after the hair broke ....story and pics later .....  

I had a good day at the 12 Mile !   Water was semi clear , very high and fast current . ..lots of weeds about 8 ft.from shore . I chummed then set up 2 rods . About 10 minutes later BOTH rods start rocking and line was peeling out quickly into the current . One rod has to stay down and I knew the line would get chewed up with the rocks and zebra mussels on bottom . The other one got well into the current and it took about 10 minutes to land it (no net) Then I grabbed the other rod ...carp was gone and the "hair" broke off . First time that happened !

A couple of times I reeled in to check my rig and a mussel was clamped right over the hook ! So I checked both lines every 20 minutes . ...got a few small weeds on the rig a few times too .I was using maize on the hair and added a small corn puff on the hook to elevate the corn a tad off bottom . That worked best for the rest of the morning .The puff quickly softens but still elevates the corn . (photo)

I landed 4  and also tried a barbless hook on one rod  which I got my largest carp, close to 10 lbs. It peeled out a lot of line in the main current , then thrashed around in my landing spot where they never leave the water . The barbless hook  slipped out easily with my fingers . I will start tying more hair rigs and pinch off the barb ....just need to keep the rod bent and line tight ....  took my booties today !

Beautiful day to be at the 12 ! 

carp rig.PNG

12 mile carp barbless.PNG

12 carp.jpg

I should be using heavier line than  20# mono there . When they take off into the middle of the current it's hard to turn them around . The carp in the photo was only about 10 lbs . and ran out more than half my spool of line .  I would need to use a strong braid to get more line on the spool,  and the bottom is snag city in the main current ...might be tree branches out there ,courtesy of Billy Beaver . I believe the carp at the 12 are stronger for their size because they are always in some current , keeping slim and trim ....and nasty !