Bass opener

Tyler0420

Nice small largie Ty .....good looking frog too  .....

I don't like using braid much , always getting tangles and hard to get it straightened out .

I wish they could come out with a  thinner 20 # mono to put more line on the spool .

14 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Nice small largie Ty .....good looking frog too  .....

I don't like using braid much , always getting tangles and hard to get it straightened out .

I wish they could come out with a  thinner 20 # mono to put more line on the spool .

Ya mono would definitely work better but not sure I wanna use it fishing lily pads. 

I’ve been skunked around here for bass. Can’t seem to figure them out this year and I know that’s not saying much but I fished a solid 20 hours the last week with not a single hit. Marking a ton of fish nothing taking. Worms and all ? I’m starting to think it’s the angler not the fish. Lol

Just starting to catch some bass. Been fishing around Thorold mainly.

Only been able to get em on the texas rig senko and ned. Nothing huge though…

54 minutes ago, DNorton said:

I’ve been skunked around here for bass. Can’t seem to figure them out this year and I know that’s not saying much but I fished a solid 20 hours the last week with not a single hit. Marking a ton of fish nothing taking. Worms and all ? I’m starting to think it’s the angler not the fish. Lol

Where have you been fishing?

6 minutes ago, Lukefish99 said:

I have tried there 3 time this year and I got 1 follow each trip but i couldn't get anything to bite. There was a big school of goldfish when I went the one time though.

Good to know it’s not just me having no luck. That used to be my go to if I wanted to fish bass. I’m going to be headed out a bunch after work this week and hopefully figure it out. 

3 minutes ago, DNorton said:

Good to know it’s not just me having no luck. That used to be my go to if I wanted to fish bass. I’m going to be headed out a bunch after work this week and hopefully figure it out. 

Let me know if you have any luck. I have tried everything from senkos to crankbaits to buzzbaits and i can't seem to catch a bass from there lol.

16 minutes ago, Morwood80 said:

Not a monster by no means but was only one that got pic’d. I simplified my set up by adding a bell sinker to my swivel clip and a 12” leader with small hook n worm on bottom and that seemed to be the ticket

FBA8D358-46E2-41CF-9EE9-0A21C34A7D89.jpeg

Sometimes the simplest rigs catch the most fish. Hopefully the kids got into some to. 

13 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Sometimes the simplest rigs catch the most fish. Hopefully the kids got into some to. 

When I fished for small mouth on Erie over 20 years ago , we drifted using salted tube jigs , greem/bown combo . We did well using them , off Point Abino . I also used them at the 12 Mile and did very well there too , but they got hung up a lot on the rocky bottom . Then I tried the 3 way rig with a small spinners and worm , and that worked great too . The 3 way rig is so versatile for many fish !  I caught my largest bass at Rennie, just using a worm and one small split shot , letting it sink slowly for a natural presentation . It was a 25" largie , my biggest ever bass.

For years I drifted the upper Niagara in the Black creek area. The only presentation I ever used was a 3 way swivel with a bell sinker on the bottom and about 3 feet of line attached to a silver flatfish or quickfish. It was dynamite on smallmouth. The only problem arose during the late summer when seaweed was very heavy.

Every year, until this year, I always fished Pt. Abino bay for smallmouth for the first 3 weeks of the season. This year the wind and rain prevented me from getting out.

My ONLY go to lure there was trolling a #7 or #9 Rapala Shad Rap in perch finish - it would outfish everything else hands down!

And our magic depth was always 10-15 feet of water - we would see a lot of people fishing shallower in there, but we almost always outcaught them.  Caught a lot of big smallies that way, many over 4 Lbs., and personal best there was 5 3/4 Lbs.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:27 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Well a lil late for opener but made it out tonight for a bit. Managed one small largie on a frog. Was getting pretty annoyed every second cast getting knots in the braid from reeling in slack line. I think a bait caster would help that problem. 

I had braid one of my spinning reels for a couple of years, and never really liked it!

Just replaced it w mono + fluoro leader this morning!

1 hour ago, verado said:

For years I drifted the upper Niagara in the Black creek area. The only presentation I ever used was a 3 way swivel with a bell sinker on the bottom and about 3 feet of line attached to a silver flatfish or quickfish. It was dynamite on smallmouth. The only problem arose during the late summer when seaweed was very heavy.

A floating lure like a kwikfish ,husky jerk etc. on a 3 way rig doesn't get hung up on bottom as much with a slow retrieve with a short lead like 3 ft.

1 hour ago, Bass-turd said:

25” would probably be in the 8 pound range, wow that’s a giant, I would mount that beast

It was a little on the thin side but put up a great fight on the 9' ultra light rod .I didn't weight it , just took a quick shot and off she went . 

I would guess it was about 6 lbs   plus or minus a few ounces ?

Largemouth Bass Port.jpg

6 hours ago, genec said:

I had braid one of my spinning reels for a couple of years, and never really liked it!

I love braid. I have never had any issues with it and it allows for much longer casts and much more line on the spool. It also doesn't have any memory or stretch which I have found helpful. I guess it is just personal preference.

Braid has those advantages for sure . If I could only have two choices ,I would use mono. It has improved over the years ...a little thinner and better knot strength . When using braid for fish like carp , the strong head shakes can rip the braid/hook out of their mouth with zero stretch . I like to have some stretch for those jumpers and head shakes.

I also found I got hung up more with braid and had break offs when braid line rubbed over rocks , and when braid tangles ...:wall: ...  The fluoro carbon mono seems to stand up better .And I have "compromised " with braid/mono by using a 10 ft. (or more if needed) 30 lb mono leader on my 20 lb braid for rocky spots ....has worked well so far . When I use braid I prefer a more flexible rod which absorbs some of those hard hits. ...also good for float fishing for pan fish. 

It's nice to have the choice for the type of fish we are targeting. :Gonefishing:

22 hours ago, smerchly said:

And I have "compromised " with braid/mono by using a 10 ft. (or more if needed) 30 lb mono leader on my 20 lb braid for rocky spots

I almost never use straight braid when fish unless its for catfish which couldn't care less about the line.

On 7/11/2021 at 4:08 PM, Bubba14 said:

Apparently I can't figure out how to attach a photo.

Tell me about it  !!   I have a brand new state of the art camera that has wi fi built in to send shots from my fishing spots to my home (if I had a smart phone) 

I took my "old" camera with me today after picking up some meds at the vets for my little pooch .....

On the way I saw the 12 water level has dropped ,which I rarely see these days , so I stopped at my old "bass" spot(s) where there is a good variety of other fish if using minnows or carp/cat baits ,down stream a way ..... The small weed beds look enticing !  Tonight & tomorrow like like lots of rain ....will check it out Sunday again (with fishing rod )   ...a few shots from today .....

12 Mile  !.PNG

12 Mile 2.PNG

12 Mile 3.PNG

On 7/13/2021 at 9:38 PM, Tyler0420 said:

They definitely did. Spent more time putting worms on and helping take fish off then fishing. But it’s worth it when the smiles r plenty