Looking for a fish finder for my kayak.

Tyler0420

So I just quit my factory job of 15years to go roofing full time. A bunch of people were nice enough to get me $300 to bass pro (unfortunately) lol. 
so thinking I’m going to get a finder for my yak. I don’t need anything top of the line and maybe one that will work for ice fishing.   Any thoughts?

When I bought mine it was on clearance and was behind the counter.  Garmin Echomap43 in 4”.  Worth asking them if they have anything on clearance. 

Your Oldtown kayak universal transducer mount will accept Lowrance and Hummingbird transducers so if I could do it all over again I’d buy one of those.  The garmin transducer doesn’t fit without modification. 

Features……I have yet to find a use for down scan….Mostly because you don’t need it in Lake Ontario and because a 4” screen doesn’t do downscan well anyways.  Sidescan I have never used but I can see it’s value. GPS is key however because map contours are important and speed is super important. You need a GPS unit to accomplish that. 

It all comes down to what fishing you do most in your kayak.  

Im happy with the unit I use but I kinda think I’d like it better if it were bigger.  But bigger costs more.  

The track is universal.  Scotty Brocraft Ram.   They all work.  But the short ones will leave the rod butt right in your peddling space. 

You can buy extenders so they are above your knees but I prefer to hold one and use the built in rear holders 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, Mbocco said:

Nice!!  Good choice. Now you can find the fish you won’t catch but catch the ones you don’t find.  Ironic really. 

Let me know if u need help with the transducer mount 

Thanks I might need some help with the whole install. I think I’m going to run the cords through the yak so I’ll have to drill some holes. 

I loved my helix 5 when I had it, lost in an unfortunate canoe accident I wasn’t apart of…. I had the gen1, got it when it first came out, but mine only had DI, no SI or gps, did you get one with any DI or SI? I found the down imaging to be very useful, helped me fish out a lost rod in 20 feet of water, I could literally see it laying on bottom 

1 hour ago, Bass-turd said:

I loved my helix 5 when I had it, lost in an unfortunate canoe accident I wasn’t apart of…. I had the gen1, got it when it first came out, but mine only had DI, no SI or gps, did you get one with any DI or SI? I found the down imaging to be very useful, helped me fish out a lost rod in 20 feet of water, I could literally see it laying on bottom 

Pretty sure it does have DI/SI . Can’t wait to try it out. 

8 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks I might need some help with the whole install. I think I’m going to run the cords through the yak so I’ll have to drill some holes. 

I would suggest not drilling holes to start and run it with the cords outside then decide if u still want to drill holes.  You also will want to be certain of the exact spot for your finder if drilling.  So better to fish a bunch of times with it installed to see where u like to have it.  If you put it in the wrong spot it will be in your way. 

26 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I would suggest not drilling holes to start and run it with the cords outside then decide if u still want to drill holes.  You also will want to be certain of the exact spot for your finder if drilling.  So better to fish a bunch of times with it installed to see where u like to have it.  If you put it in the wrong spot it will be in your way. 

Good idea 👍 

What are you guys using for a battery I see there are small lithium Ion batteries available??

I've had a Lawrence Elite 4 sitting unused for years.Never bothered since I fish Erie shoreline mostly but with Lake O looming I better get rigged. 

Speaking of fish finders....  When fishing very shallow places like Jordan Harbour where the water averages 4 ft. ,  is a fish finder of any use when the beam would be so small ?  Just thinking about getting my canoe out there for few hours , drifting or anchoring for cats  & tossing baits around the shoreline.

12 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Speaking of fish finders....  When fishing very shallow places like Jordan Harbour where the water averages 4 ft. ,  is a fish finder of any use when the beam would be so small ?  Just thinking about getting my canoe out there for few hours , drifting or anchoring for cats  & tossing baits around the shoreline.

Only for structure and depth changes 

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

Only for structure and depth changes 

I heave read about the wide angle transducers but as you said use for structure . some have the side beam which I suppose would help when fishing shore lines . That technology has been around for many years, like the Fishing Buddy .

Realistically on a kayak or canoe most people don’t buy a > $1000 unit.  The smaller cheaper units don’t have great resolution and large screen sizes which makes the downscan and sidescan less useful.  

It does depend on what and how you are fishing but for me it’s GPS, speed, depth, structure.

But, I fish large bodies of water mostly. 

11 hours ago, Mbocco said:

I bought a talent cell power bank 8300mAh.   It weighs 1lb and powers my finder for a week.  

How much did it cost?

I’ll just be using one of those small 12v batteries for now. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, Mbocco said:

Nice!!  Good choice. Now you can find the fish you won’t catch but catch the ones you don’t find.  Ironic really. 

Let me know if u need help with the transducer mount 

Should I of bought a mount? I seen the long arm ram mounts but forgot to buy one.  I think you can angle them towards the water so they don’t get in the way of peddling. 

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

How much did it cost?

I’ll just be using one of those small 12v batteries for now. 

It was a couple years ago but under $100.  I had to splice my own attachment.  But it’s the lightest solution. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Should I of bought a mount? I seen the long arm ram mounts but forgot to buy one.  I think you can angle them towards the water so they don’t get in the way of peddling. 

Yes.  I bought a mount that attaches to my universal track.