9:30 - 12:00 carp session today

Nice clean fish ....and clean water ...I recognize those pebbles .

Check out my carp net in previous pictures . I bought some 3/4" clear tubing , cut it inside of the circular loop after marking it with black ink marker , fit it over the rim of the net and used small electrical tie downs to secure the tubing tightly . It keeps the gravel and sand from breaking the string around the net . I've have been using my carp net for many years .

14 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Check out my carp net in previous pictures . I bought some 3/4" clear tubing , cut it inside of the circular loop after marking it with black ink marker , fit it over the rim of the net and used small electrical tie downs to secure the tubing tightly . It keeps the gravel and sand from breaking the string around the net . I've have been using my carp net for many years .

Great idea. I am actually replacing the netting with a deep rubber net. I prefer it for when fishing with lures and it also works as a mat when I don’t have one available. 

On 7/14/2021 at 1:15 PM, smerchly said:

Just replaced the net with a 2 ft heavy duty rubber basket. 

I gave the 12 Mile a shot for a few hrs. today. Water level was very high and fast with semi clear viz.  I took my old salmon rod to try a few worms first ...tossed a 3 way rig with worm harness , snagged up as soon as it hit bottom, broke off .I tried fishing closer with hook & worm , just goby bites .

Rigged up the carp rod with maize on the hair + 1.5 oz egg sinker .....few bumps & nibbles . Lots of grass about 8 ft. out so had to fish over it on the steep slope ...very tricky fishing there.  So , I decided to take a few pictures and leave ...got the camera out,  backed up to get an area shot and saw my carp rod bouncing wildly and line peeling out ....grabbed the rod and 3 seconds later .....nothing !!  Line broke off at the hook ...must have been a weak spot from hitting rocks . INSPECT YOUR LINE MORE SMERCH !!!

The salmon rod had a bolt rig with larger hook to hold the maize ......as I reel in the line I felt a few bumps ....never got skunked today .......B)

On the way out a beautiful fawn was standing on the trail  and didn't run until I was 20' away ...made my day !!  

...a few shots..... and a smart dog !!

12 Mile carpin.PNG

Gobie on corn.PNG

dog & skunk.PNG

Nice shots smerch. At least no 🦨.  I might take a day off with this week and go fishing. I’m getting cranky. I wanna take the yak out on Erie. I also have round 3 of the carp tournament to fish. 

I was going to try Jordan today in the canoe (paddles) but it looked like rain in the pm with gusty winds which we have now . 

Got any details (who, when , where) for your next tourny ?  

Funny thing today ...as I was getting my stuff packed to leave I see a small carp not 6 feet from my feet ....I treated it to some pineapple maize !   

The weed beds are there now , carp are there but no wanna bite . Water is harder to fish with the extra current ...need 2 oz.to stay put .

For some reason they have been running the 12 at high tide ....maybe using more generators to keep the A.C.'s running ....

On 7/24/2021 at 7:29 PM, smerchly said:

Got any details (who, when , where) for your next tourny ?  

I have till aug 9 to complete my 12hr session. I’ll be facing two other guys this time around. This is round 3, round 4 will be the finals.  Maybe this Sunday I’ll fish. 

Well , forget Jordan ! I tried ye old spot today and within 60 seconds I reeled in a nice fat bunch of moss  ! It's moss from top to bottom and the current wraps it around the line and bait in seconds . I moved to shallower water but had no takers for 2 hours .  Nice to see a huge eagle there today .

Tyler ....mail box full ?

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well , forget Jordan ! I tried ye old spot today and within 60 seconds I reeled in a nice fat bunch of moss  ! It's moss from top to bottom and the current wraps it around the line and bait in seconds . I moved to shallower water but had no takers for 2 hours .  Nice to see a huge eagle there today .

Tyler ....mail box full ?

Nope. I usually get a notification when I open the site that there’s a private message but lately I haven’t been so I’m not seeing messages for a couple days sometimes. 
Looks like you made my decision for Sunday. I’m going to fish Hamilton harbor instead. It’s going to rain but gotta do my 12 challenge. One guy already did his and scored 89lbs. It’s going to take a nice bag of fish to win this one. 

No other anglers there today . I think the rough lake was bringing in all the moss from the rocks . right after I chummed , 2 nice ladies came right over the chum in their yaks and headed out to the lake . They wouldn't have got far in those big breakers !  

Is 89 lbs for 3 fish ?  That would be all 30 lb....wow !  

Good luck Sunday Ty...ya, rain I see , but you have the bivvy and a nice bed .....

46 minutes ago, smerchly said:

No other anglers there today . I think the rough lake was bringing in all the moss from the rocks . right after I chummed , 2 nice ladies came right over the chum in their yaks and headed out to the lake . They wouldn't have got far in those big breakers !  

Is 89 lbs for 3 fish ?  That would be all 30 lb....wow !  

Good luck Sunday Ty...ya, rain I see , but you have the bivvy and a nice bed .....

89lbs is four fish.  Four heaviest fish count. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

89lbs is four fish.  Four heaviest fish count. 

Oh , that's better !  You should have no prob.matching that !    

I always thought Hamilton harbour would have plenty of those big lake carp . At this time of the year they may be in the deeper water ? 

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

Oh , that's better !  You should have no prob.matching that !    

I always thought Hamilton harbour would have plenty of those big lake carp . At this time of the year they may be in the deeper water ? 

Ya I’ll be targeting 15-20fow I think. Maybe put one rod In closer

• 8 months later...