Sugar Glider

Watching this on you Tube today ......amazing story !  I had no idea what it was until they told us near the end of the short video . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZaDkGV3-aA&ab_channel=IncredibleStories

This little creature is like our possums or Australia's rues ......( marsupials )

We have a similar little animal in Ontario .....only encountered one on our way to Cochrane as we drove down hwy 11 , we had something hit the windshield of the truck .We kept on driving and when we unloaded the truck at Cochrane , we found a dead flying squirrel  at the tailgate....first and last one I have ever seen . ....the chief at the North Bay Reserve called my father "Shawanga" which meant flying squirrel  ! 

I would like to know has anyone seen a flying squirrel in Ontario ?  Maybe they are very rare ,but it would be nice to know they still exist .

There are lots in Ontario. I have seen many but they are nocturnal. I have a friend's hunting spot out in Fonthill that I see them all the time right at dark from the deer stand. The tree across from the stand has many holes in it so they nest in it. I have been told they are one of the most common squirrels but because they are nocturnal people don't see them.

56 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

There are lots in Ontario. I have seen many but they are nocturnal.

I had no idea  these little critters are abundant in this area ....probably many of them at Short  Hills too . I guess you have to spend the time in the woods at night to catch them , like my wife & I watching the evening bats last night as they dart around our back yard after dusk . It took me over 78 years to know this  .....thanks !

20 minutes ago, staffman said:

We used to see them at a cottage we rented just north of Huntsville.

I spend my honeymoon at "Lakeside Cottages" , just outside of Dwight . We stayed at Haystack Bay where Larry Bentz owned about 8 cottages there ( bass & lakers) .....and that's where my daughter got her start in this world  ....56 years ago .   B)

I considered getting sugar gliders as pets when I was a lot younger. What nobody likes to talk about with them is there is no such thing as potty training with them. They go where ever they are when ever they want. They also have the temprament of a monkey... cute and nasty all at the same time.

6 hours ago, corey said:

I considered getting sugar gliders as pets when I was a lot younger. What nobody likes to talk about with them is there is no such thing as potty training with them. They go where ever they are when ever they want. They also have the temperament of a monkey... cute and nasty all at the same time.

I had a guinea pig pee on my lap 56 years ago ....thought it was me for a few seconds !   :o

Haven't had one since !   Remember , squirrels can crack a nut open tout suite !!

19 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

Growing up in Emsdale (north of Huntsville), we would see them at night, especially during the winter as they swooped down onto the bird feeder.

That is a very small community !   How was Spicoli's pizza  ?  ha ...

Those little critters must be tough to survive those cold winters there . It may be somewhere near there where we hit the flying squirrel on hwy 11 .

I used to go to a cottage at Eagle Lake , just north of Emsdale .  Remember the bear at Burkes  Falls ?  My buddy gave it a drink of coke from the bottle !

The local squirrels are very adept at raiding the bird feeders here , but the seed also attracts rats too .I have about 10 bird feeders ....all will be donated .

38 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

Haha, Pete the bear at the gas station on the main street of Burks Falls near the river. And Eagle Lake is west of South River, I go over the narrows to get to my hunt camp.

We canoed out on Eagle Lake to catch small rainbows . My Buddy Dennis  Veit has a cottage on the lake ..tons of nasty mosquitoes !! .  Another buddy worked on a farm at Burks Falls & got his hand caught in a turbine , ended up calling him 3 finger Lewie !   Small world Scott !