Port D Carp

steelshady

• 3 weeks later...

Took my new bait runner for a run this morning ...went out on the east pier at Dalhousie . The wind was fierce !  I tried fishing from the huge rocks for an hour but gave it up as it would be a chore to net a fish in those rocks . Tried Rennie for about 90 minutes , a few gobies were gnawing on my maize , then finally a run !  

The carp wasn't a tough fighter for  it's size , 11 lbs., and it did a few short runs  ...and I noticed it only had half it's tail . Got some nice shots , one of a Ruddy Turnstone bird which I haven't seen in many years .  

Rennie Carp Sept 2021.jpg

Ruddy Turnstone.PNG

The wind was strong out there , would have put in more time but netting a carp from those big rocks would be a chore . As I was just about to toss my first cast with corn on the hair rig I heard a guy say "  Sorry to bother you sir , but could you please do me a favour ? The wind blew my hat into the marina so maybe you could get it with your fishing rod "  I said "certainly",and  we walked back about 200 yds. I gave him some slack line with the hair rig & he dropped the line and immediately  hooked the hat with the barbless hook ....thanked me ,& off he went . As I was walking back ,several people thanked me for helping him , most of them from T.O. I assumed ....I said to one lady it's probably the only thing I'll catch today .  It's nice being a hero !     B)

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

The wind was strong out there , would have put in more time but netting a carp from those big rocks would be a chore . As I was just about to toss my first cast with corn on the hair rig I heard a guy say "  Sorry to bother you sir , but could you please do me a favour ? The wind blew my hat into the marina so maybe you could get it with your fishing rod "  I said "certainly",and  we walked back about 200 yds. I gave him some slack line with the hair rig & he dropped the line and immediately  hooked the hat with the barbless hook ....thanked me ,& off he went . As I was walking back ,several people thanked me for helping him , most of them from T.O. I assumed ....I said to one lady it's probably the only thing I'll catch today .  It's nice being a hero !     B)

Good deed smerch.  The fish gods will be on your side next time you’re out. 

On 9/6/2021 at 2:26 PM, smerchly said:

Took my new bait runner for a run this morning ...went out on the east pier at Dalhousie . The wind was fierce !  I tried fishing from the huge rocks for an hour but gave it up as it would be a chore to net a fish in those rocks . Tried Rennie for about 90 minutes , a few gobies were gnawing on my maize , then finally a run !  

The carp wasn't a tough fighter for  it's size , 11 lbs., and it did a few short runs  ...and I noticed it only had half it's tail . Got some nice shots , one of a Ruddy Turnstone bird which I haven't seen in many years . 

What baitrunner did you get Smerch?  I am in the market for a new one as the little plastic gears in mine got pooched because of the poor quality they are made now.

Line capacity?

1 hour ago, Snags said:

What baitrunner did you get Smerch?  I am in the market for a new one as the little plastic gears in mine got pooched because of the poor quality they are made now.

Line capacity?

I got the Fierce III  2500  which is a small capacity reel . They didn't have any larger reels as I think getting them shipped is a problem . They spooled it up with 100 yds. of 20# P-line mono, which is sufficient for most carp spots I fish . I landed my 36.5 # carp on that 20#  mono . I  keep my reels in the basement and try not to let them get too dry in the heat and may add a little oil to those drag parts .  I paid $120 for it but you need to spend a lot more to get a high quality reel . Not much selection but ask if they have more come in to the store .  

Here's the reel and stats ......

https://www.pennfishing.com/products/fierce-iii-live-liner-reel-1509861

• 3 weeks later...

Back to Port today , very breezy sw wind !   First hit took out a few ft.of line and pffft , it was gone !  I waited too long to set the other rod tip into the water as the back drag was still engaged & hooks are barbless .   Got a decent one close to 10 lbs about 30 minutes later . Went for a coffee ...sign on door " passport needed to sit inside" ...nobody inside !  Grabbed a doughnut , had to be 6 days old , so it became a dunker ! I'll take my own snack next time ...

I went for a walk ,checking out the water/angler situation ..  not much going on , prob.due to the high wind .

port Carp.PNG

25 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice fish smerch. You should of put that donut on your hook and seen if the carp wanted it. 

It was a walnut crunch ...ya ,very crunchy  but the carp need teeth to crunch that stuff  !  I  went one for two in 2 hrs ,seems like they may be starting to be on the prowl for some winter food .  It's the time of the season when one doesn't know what fish to target as the salmon are coming in , pike will be smacking lures , bass and drum are hitting my worms , perch should be in soon ......  :Gonefishing:    :bb2: